Steroids and antibiotics .

Peadair O Brionn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
having diabetes...... people who wear backpacks on the tube
I’m starting a 7 day course of steroids and antibiotics tomorrow. I also have COPD and the chest infection I got about 4 weeks ago has persisted . I’ve tried to avoid the steroids but the infection is raising my bloods anyway . Has anyone any advice about handling the 2 of these at once

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m starting a 7 day course of steroids and antibiotics tomorrow. I also have COPD and the chest infection I got about 4 weeks ago has persisted . I’ve tried to avoid the steroids but the infection is raising my bloods anyway . Has anyone any advice about handling the 2 of these at once

Hi Peadair - Frustrating that that infection hasn't gone. Whilst most of us would rather avoid the meds, sometimes we just need to bite to bullet to get rid of the thing.

Whilst your bloods are up a bit with the infection, the chances are the steroid will nt the numbers up again. To be honest, it seems like eating well, and by well, I'd suggest keeping the carbs tight, to limit the blood rises where you can, but also importantly test lots. I don't say that to frighten you or to rub your nose in the numbers, but to say if the numbers get very high; get yourself back to the Doc, call 111 or off to A&E for you.

I'm fortunate never to have taken oral steroids (have rubbed on a bit of steroid cream occasionally, but that doesn't count in this context), but I know when I go onto antibiotics, I quite often feel really, "Meh", whilst they do their stuff, but grind it out if you can. If, however, they upset your tummy, ask for an alternative.

I usually find myself eating lots of yoghurt when I'm on antibiotics, to protect my gut flora a bit, but that's just me.

I hope you're feeling better soon, Peadair, and a Happy New Year to you.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
7 days isn't too long, I have been on high doses for months, it is not fun. Just ride it out and perhaps just don't test for a week. It can be really depressing, and you just can't do anything about it.

Good luck and try to have a happy New Year.

Peadair O Brionn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi Peadair - Frustrating that that infection hasn't gone. Whilst most of us would rather avoid the meds, sometimes we just need to bite to bullet to get rid of the thing.

Whilst your bloods are up a bit with the infection, the chances are the steroid will nt the numbers up again. To be honest, it seems like eating well, and by well, I'd suggest keeping the carbs tight, to limit the blood rises where you can, but also importantly test lots. I don't say that to frighten you or to rub your nose in the numbers, but to say if the numbers get very high; get yourself back to the Doc, call 111 or off to A&E for you.

I'm fortunate never to have taken oral steroids (have rubbed on a bit of steroid cream occasionally, but that doesn't count in this context), but I know when I go onto antibiotics, I quite often feel really, "Meh", whilst they do their stuff, but grind it out if you can. If, however, they upset your tummy, ask for an alternative.

I usually find myself eating lots of yoghurt when I'm on antibiotics, to protect my gut flora a bit, but that's just me.

I hope you're feeling better soon, Peadair, and a Happy New Year to you.

Peadair O Brionn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thanks for the reply . Hopefully it’ll be all cool . It’s only a 7 day course so it should be ok . With a bit of luck it’ll all be over and no problems will be had . I willl test a lot and if any nasties happen I’ll be down in around like a rat up a drainpipe . Gappy New Year to you to bud .

Reactions: DCUKMod

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the reply . Hopefully it’ll be all cool . It’s only a 7 day course so it should be ok . With a bit of luck it’ll all be over and no problems will be had . I willl test a lot and if any nasties happen I’ll be down in around like a rat up a drainpipe . Gappy New Year to you to bud .
Happy new year hope your infection clears soon and you get back to your normal self soon.
Infections happen......Ive just had a tooth abscess for three months and needed several courses of penicillin and it put my bgs up. I had extraction to drain it three weeks ago and just recovering now! But good news is that back to low bgs again you will get there once infection gone hoping your pills work. Meanwhile I’m really having a “ gappy new Year” whilst awaiting the bridge work!

Peadair O Brionn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Happy new year hope your infection clears soon and you get back to your normal self soon.
Infections happen......Ive just had a tooth abscess for three months and needed several courses of penicillin and it put my bgs up. I had extraction to drain it three weeks ago and just recovering now! But good news is that back to low bgs again you will get there once infection gone hoping your pills work. Meanwhile I’m really having a “ gappy new Year” whilst awaiting the bridge work!

Peadair O Brionn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
So I’ve been on the steroids and antibiotics for 2 days now. my bg readings have gone up to to 8.3. Any suggestions to get it down . I’ve tried doing exercise but doesn’t work . I’m so used to being in the low 5s it’s starting to freak me out .

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So I’ve been on the steroids and antibiotics for 2 days now. my bg readings have gone up to to 8.3. Any suggestions to get it down . I’ve tried doing exercise but doesn’t work . I’m so used to being in the low 5s it’s starting to freak me out .

Peadair - I've brrn fortunate enough not to have to take them myself, thus far, but to be honest, unless you are using insulin or really strong meds, I doubt you can do too much aside from keep your diet "tight".

Of course, that in itself can be a challenge on steroids, as they can sharpen the appetite too!

Bearing in mind you are planned to be on those steroids for about a week, tough as it might seem, you're likely better to suck it up (for a few days) than have the infection, and strain on your chest, when you already have COPD. Once finished, the numbers will sort themselves out.

I appreciate it's hard, but as I say, "rock and a hard place" comes to mind.

Twisticles

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I'm fairly sure that Prednisolone screwed me up over the holidays.

Just before Christmas I injured my right knee so bad I can't walk. So Dec 26th I visited a Family doctor where I was spending the holidays (Singapore), discussed my T2 at length and he prescribed Celecoxib and Prednisolone for my knee.

That was 10.30am, by 10pm I was drinking litres of water, peeing non-stop and couldn't test as my BG is usually so stable I left my kit at home (Hong Kong). Same on 27th Dec. When I got home on the 28th and tested, I was running about 34mmol (612mg). A bit of research and I found that Prednisolone is a steroid and they can cause BG to go haywire. Funny the Doctor never mentioned that.

So I quit the knee pills. By Monday 30th I was still seeing fasting BG of 24mmol/432mg and highs of 32/600+ later in the day.

Went to my usual clinic but my doc was away. The locum didn't seem at all concerned, but increased my Metformin from 500mg X twice a day to 500mg X three times a day. (Plus panadol for the knee yay /s)

Anyway, I'm still about 15/270 fasting, rising to 26/468 in the evenings, despite cutting carbs to almost zero. (I've been low carbing around 100g a day for the last year with a regular 8-10/140-150 high/low pattern).

I'm weak, dizzy, have horrible headaches, thirsty all the time, peeing all the time, blurry vision and generally feel like ****.

Back to the Dr tomorrow...

Peadair O Brionn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thanks guys for the replies . Sorry for yer troubles twisticles. Hope it sorts itself out . I’m just gonna do what you suggest dcuk , nite the bullet , carry on with the low carb and have a few wines on the way . If I can keep it in the 8s till Tuesday / Wednesday day . It should return to normal by Friday . I’ll keep ye posted on it

Peadair O Brionn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Ok so tomorrow I finish my steroids and antibiotics . My bloods peaked at 8.3. .
Just wondering , when I finish this course does anyone know how long before my bloods come back down to my normal levels . Obviously staying on the low carb under 50 gr a day .