Type 1
Treatment type
Other

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Greggs is the future. Maybe they’ll succeed where others have failed in getting us eating more sensibly.
21g carbs for a sausage roll????? Absolute winner and should sit nicely with those of us who do low to average carbs daily.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Greggs is the future. Maybe they’ll succeed where others have failed in getting us eating more sensibly.
21g carbs for a sausage roll????? Absolute winner and should sit nicely with those of us who do low to average carbs daily.
Isn't that about the normal amount of carbs for medium sized pork sausage roll?

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Isn't that about the normal amount of carbs for medium sized pork sausage roll?
The meat one contains 24g carb, 22g fat, 9.4g protein; the vegan one 21g carb, 19g fat and 12g protein.

So the vegan one is lower carb, lower fat and higher protein than the meat one. And they taste pretty much identical.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
They are lovely! I'm looking forward to trying their new vegan steak slice which was sold out last weekend.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
They are lovely! I'm looking forward to trying their new vegan steak slice which was sold out last weekend.

Hi,

Funny you mention that.. Just been reading about & found the nutritional info on the slice. https://www.greggs.co.uk/bakes/vegan-steak-bake

Though, to my eye. The pastry on the promo picture shots look a little anemic?
But to be fair, not all batches brown the same in a working kitchen.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Does anybody know what goes into them?
Can't seem to find an ingredient list on the Greggs website anywhere...

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Reactions: Listlad

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Reactions: MargaretR

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I understand why someone would become vegan. What I don't understand is why would a vegan want something that tastes like meat? Sorry I just don't get it but then I don't like pork so I guess I wouldn't understand.

Reactions: porl69

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I understand why someone would become vegan. What I don't understand is why would a vegan want something that tastes like meat? Sorry I just don't get it but then I don't like pork so I guess I wouldn't understand.
Many people really enjoyed eating meat but gave it up because they believe it’s wrong to kill animals. Or some of us really enjoyed eating meat, but developed allergies to it. Many reasons.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Many people really enjoyed eating meat but gave it up because they believe it’s wrong to kill animals. Or some of us really enjoyed eating meat, but developed allergies to it. Many reasons.
Oh yes i had forgotten about allergies. Thanks.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Oh yes i had forgotten about allergies. Thanks.
People also use products like this to help them transition away from meat and onto a plant based diet. And they can be really handy in a pinch when you’re out and about and need to grab something to eat. I made sure to locate the nearest Greggs to my usual A&E department when I’m working in the ambulance, if I needed to get food and wasn’t able to get back to base for my meal break, just in case. Also, they’re lovely. I’ve always loved sausage rolls.

Reactions: porl69 and zand