Levemir injection sites

Sharrryn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi :)
I’ve been injecting my twice daily levemir in my legs for years but with so many lumps and bruises my legs need a break. I’m very thin so was going to inject in the ‘love handle’ area or lower back as I can pinch some fat there ;)
Just wondering if anyone else uses these areas for levemir.
Thanks.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello, with our needle lengths, I’m assuming you’re using 4mm needles, you don’t need to pinch. I inject everywhere, I don’t save a special spot for my basal insulin. Love handles are very nice for both basal and bolus :)

Reactions: karen8967

Sharrryn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello, with our needle lengths, I’m assuming you’re using 4mm needles, you don’t need to pinch. I inject everywhere, I don’t save a special spot for my basal insulin. Love handles are very nice for both basal and bolus :)
Thanks. Yep. I do use 4mm. I guess I’m ‘old school’ and was always taught to ‘pinch an inch’ ;) but I have been told it’s not really necessary these days as well. My educator once told me to stick to the same area for basal - eg stomach or legs or arms as they all absorb at slightly different rates but when you start running out of injection sites it’s diffic to stick to that.

Sharrryn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Y
@Sharrryn . A lot of us inject our basal insulin in the buttocks.
Thanks. I might try that area as well. I did use that spot once a very long while ago but did end up with lots of bruising ... that was when I was on 6mm needles though so the 4mm may be better. :)

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
Remember having to pinch about 3 inches cos needles wer about inch and a half lol at 4mm I canny tell if there’s a needle on it but belly bum legs are fine just keep rotating