1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Levemir injection sites

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Sharrryn, Jan 14, 2020.

1. Sharrryn

Sharrryn Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi :)
    I’ve been injecting my twice daily levemir in my legs for years but with so many lumps and bruises my legs need a break. I’m very thin so was going to inject in the ‘love handle’ area or lower back as I can pinch some fat there ;)
    Just wondering if anyone else uses these areas for levemir.
    Thanks.

2. MeiChanski

MeiChanski Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hello, with our needle lengths, I’m assuming you’re using 4mm needles, you don’t need to pinch. I inject everywhere, I don’t save a special spot for my basal insulin. Love handles are very nice for both basal and bolus :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. therower

therower Type 1 · Well-Known Member

@Sharrryn . A lot of us inject our basal insulin in the buttocks.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Sharrryn

Thanks. Yep. I do use 4mm. I guess I’m ‘old school’ and was always taught to ‘pinch an inch’ ;) but I have been told it’s not really necessary these days as well. My educator once told me to stick to the same area for basal - eg stomach or legs or arms as they all absorb at slightly different rates but when you start running out of injection sites it’s diffic to stick to that.

5. Sharrryn

Y
    Thanks. I might try that area as well. I did use that spot once a very long while ago but did end up with lots of bruising ... that was when I was on 6mm needles though so the 4mm may be better. :)

6. Ushthetaff

Ushthetaff Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Remember having to pinch about 3 inches cos needles wer about inch and a half lol at 4mm I canny tell if there’s a needle on it but belly bum legs are fine just keep rotating

• Like Like x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook