Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Has anyone had buckwheat? I'm wondering how it affects BGs. Is it something that should be eaten in small amounts or completely avoided??

TIA

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thanks but thats the flour - i was more wondering about the unprocessed buckwheat.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It is still a grain and roughly 2/3rds by weight starch - not something to seek out and start to eat IMO.

Hotpepper20000

Has anyone had buckwheat? I'm wondering how it affects BGs. Is it something that should be eaten in small amounts or completely avoided??

TIA
I wouldn’t eat it because the key for me is avoiding all grains. However you could try it and see how your BG reacts.

Diawara

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
i loved the taste of buckwheat as i was never that struck on rice .... but im afraid it put my post prandial figures up for hours..shame but for me a no_no....

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Buckwheat is a seed, and mainly carbs, but if your blood glucose regulating system is not shot it could be beneficial apparently, for bg and good lipids, is what I take from the nutrional breakdown -

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/foods/buckwheat#benefits

(I like healthline).

When I was first diagnosed and moderate carbing I used buckwheat flour to make wheat free pancakes, but my BG after shot up.

As for eating the seeds as a cereal? Goodness! Have you seen the pix? Imagine that stuff going through your digestive system!

Quinn1066

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have a friend on Instagram who uses buckwheat a lot, it seems to be lower GI and has a fair bit of protein. Might not affect some people as bad as regular wheat which is known to spike people. Buckwheat groats are the least processed, have a lot of fiber as well, so you could cook some up and see how you test from eating them.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Despite the name, buckwheat isn’t a grain. And it is gluten free. :)
https://www.verywellfit.com/buckwheat-gluten-free-563164
its actually related to rhubarb, so for all of us on low FODMP, low oxalate type ways of eating, or with dodgy thyroids, dodgy levels of inflammation and arthritis, it may well be something to avoid.

In addition it still significantly raises my blood glucose, so despite it being delicious, I avoid it like the plague.

Reactions: Quinn1066

Quinn1066

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Despite the name, buckwheat isn’t a grain. And it is gluten free. :)
https://www.verywellfit.com/buckwheat-gluten-free-563164
its actually related to rhubarb, so for all of us on low FODMP, low oxalate type ways of eating, or with dodgy thyroids, dodgy levels of inflammation and arthritis, it may well be something to avoid.

In addition it still significantly raises my blood glucose, so despite it being delicious, I avoid it like the plague.
I have arthritis in both my big toes, I limit my spinach intake to about 300g a week, but oh heck I was looking forward to trying buckwheat.

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have arthritis in both my big toes, I limit my spinach intake to about 300g a week, but oh heck I was looking forward to trying buckwheat.
Only way to find out is to test, eat a measured amount and test again. What works for one doesn't work for all, Personally I can eat a small amount (love Tabuloh) but don't do it very often, it's a special treat

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thanks for all the replies. I've never had it (at least I don't think i have) but i won't take the risk if there's even a slight chance it might make my arthritis worse.

VioletFoxtrot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Old thread, I know, but I just wanted to say it is completely okay to include buckwheat and other seeds and grains in a low carb diet, as long as you do test your BG to make sure you don't personally have an adverse effect. The attitude towards carbs from meat-heavy keto followers is always going to be negative, but as part of a low carb vegetarian or vegan diet, in moderation, buckwheat is worth giving a try! I like the toasted buckwheat and just have a little as part of a salad bowl, or bulk it up with lots of veg and nuts pilaf style, and I also use buckwheat flour to make breton crepes that are so thin there's not much per portion, and roll them up with Tofurky smoked slices, tomato, wilted spinach, spring onions and homemade "cheese" melt and bake them until crispy. Yum.