Unfortunate crash :(

Jj.j

Been following the keto diet for about 2 months (more or less) and been doing warrior fasting (23h) every second day. Today i went a bit ham in lentil soup and might have crossed my carb limit for keto, in like 15min my mind became very foggy and it is still 4h later, a similar thing happens when i eat a lot of diary for some reason. My blood glucose meter is ordered and arriving in the mail soon. Meanwhile, is it possible for an episode of RH to cause continuous brain fog for this long?i need to work tomorrow so need to try figure what exactly to avoid

My other guesses could be related to a shock for the thyroid (used to have elevated t4) and also had elevated cortisol at the same time. I do not currently take any meds.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Been following the keto diet for about 2 months (more or less) and been doing warrior fasting (23h) every second day. Today i went a bit ham in lentil soup and might have crossed my carb limit for keto, in like 15min my mind became very foggy and it is still 4h later, a similar thing happens when i eat a lot of diary for some reason. My blood glucose meter is ordered and arriving in the mail soon. Meanwhile, is it possible for an episode of RH to cause continuous brain fog for this long?i need to work tomorrow so need to try figure what exactly to avoid

My other guesses could be related to a shock for the thyroid (used to have elevated t4) and also had elevated cortisol at the same time. I do not currently take any meds.

I don't have RH, so not the pert on that, so I'll tag @Brunneria .

If I had to guess, I'd say your lentil soup might have been a bit of a harsh re-entry to eating, after a fast. Were it me, and I planned to repeat the fast, I'd be inclined to re-enter the eating arena with something very low or no carb. That might be eggs, meats or cheese, with or without a small proportion of veg or salad, with the aim of a modest curve on my blood glucose, and reducing the chances of a sharp rise and fall.

As for your thyroid or adrenals? If you think they might begoing a bit wonky, best to have testes, to include FT4 and T3, and if your Doc will do it, a multi-point salivary test for the adrenals

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes

Hi, hope you are coping.

I remember distinctly the first time I went Keto, because of the fasting test I had and the brain fog disappeared, energy levels through the roof and a smile that I had found the answer to my symptoms and diagnosis.

Two things you have to remember,
After fasting, especially for long periods, go as low carb as possible, you are susceptible to any amount of carbs will spike you, because of hypo awareness, which also means that any spike out of normal levels will trigger symptoms. Once your insulin resistance is lowered, any excess insulin will cause other symptoms, your body's ability to cope with high glucose or insulin is now different, in other words, your tolerance to certain carbs is heightened.
Brain fog, blurred vision, other symptoms are your warning signals, that until you get your blood glucose monitor, you are having a reaction to what you have ate.
Obviously because of the reaction and the symptoms you are getting, getting over such an episode, will take longer, my last bad hypo many years ago, took at least a couple of days to start to feel symptoms free. As your awareness to an episode becomes your norm, this is how you can discover which foods you are intolerant to.
If you have not started a food diary, this is why you should.

I'm lactose intolerant, so it's possible, you could be. All my life, I've had a natural aversion to butter, cream, cheese and certain yoghurt.
This is because lactose is a sugar, rapidly turns into glucose. The less fat in milk, the more carbs it has, for instance, full fat milk has far fewer carbs than skimmed or low fat. The fat is replaced by production sugars, which are really not good for you or me!

Exercise can also be a factor in keeping the control you need to maintain normal blood glucose levels because of something called a liver dump, if your brain is not getting enough glucose.

If it is your thyroid or cortisol, which will also effect blood glucose levels, only your GP can get the tests done. If you have a cold, flu, anxiety or even heightened adrenaline levels, this can effect your blood glucose levels as well!

You may need to have a rethink on how you approach your lifestyle, again, only you using a glucometer and a food diary can help you discover these things.
Even healthy foods can be bad for us!

Best wishes

If you're not sure or need questions answered, let us know how you are going on.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

hi :)
Do you have a diagnosis of RH?
I can recall some posts of yours that mentioned possible thyroid and/or cortisol queries? Forgive me if I have mis remembered.
Did you get any more test results through?

I find that the steadier I keep my blood glucose, the more I feel it when I eat things that make it rise or fall.
Lentils would definitely do that to me. My bg levels wouldn't be excessively high, or low, but I would be more sensitive to it, so it would feel worse than it actually was.

Glad you have a meter on its way. That should help you track down what is actually going on.