BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Nice works @NicoleC1971 ..and you too @Listlad

now while i am not disparaging your attempts

i do find it jarring that every things seems to swing around FB these days
.(did like your whats-app walking group..excellent stuff)

personally do not trust it, nor wish to be on it. (Cambridge analytica, anyone )
most possibly the minority, TBH..put hey ho.

My surgery posts up my tests score etc,
would it be too difficult for THEM to run such a forum without FB involvement.

maybe a fool but i would trust such a thing, and participate.
Most forums once set up and with moderation tend to run themselves...(almost)

Could easily see such a forum having a section for new ideas, links to others (Dr Unwin comes to mind)
and most probably given the need, doing what THIS forum does..but on a much smaller scale.

Now i think of it, i wonder if such a forum at surgery level, would simply, like in football, be a feeder group for the forum itself.

i see an individual, joining nervously, finding their feet pretty quickly, being encouraged and then joining in here as a full member, then dipping back into the surgery one to aid those new to it.

I guess the question is are we trying to reinvent the wheel, when this forum is already up and running, just needs surgeries to advice and advertise it better..?
Hi @jraak

I have been giving this all a lot of thought. Therational behind the Facebook version idea was for several reasons:

Facebook Group v Pre Timetabled Meets

As opposed to a scheduled meet which was being considered then all participants with internet access can participate. Holding scheduled meets were deemed to be difficult as patients have other commitments such as work etc and it was anticipated that many simply could not turn up, however they might well be able to get to Facebook at some point in their day or week.

No venue fees compared to a scheduled meet type arrangement. No venue to organise.

No issues arranging for the group organiser to be present who too might well have other commitments.

Facebook Group v Diabetes.co.uk

Yes and your point was also raised by my surgery administrator.

Of course we all agree that Diabetes.co.uk has been fantastic for helping us T2’s to reverse our diabetic symptoms. However it also has limitations. If say a GP simply says “here’s a very useful website and forum so go away and register and they will show you the way”, what then. That GP and the surgery have no record for that patient or data from that point on,except for future consultations or blood test results. The GP or the nurses ideally would want access to follow up data and by using Diabetes.co.uk that data is with Diabetes.co.uk and not necessarily retrievable especially where user names are in place. The GP and nurses would have no knowledge of what the patient has or had been doing, whether the patient succeeds with a LCHF programme or not.

The diabetes.co.uk forum freely states that it cannot diagnose. The relationship between diagnosis and diabetes reversal would surely be best served if the site, whichever form it takes, was driven by and in the hands of ones local surgery? As far as I know there is no advisory GP representation on the Diabetes.co.uk forum.

The Bay Medical Group Low Carb Group is affiliated to the Bay Medical Group surgery in the North West and has been given the thumbs up by the GPs there. It is administered by a lady who I believe is a member of the Diabetes.co.uk forum. It is a friendly forum. I cannot put my finger on exactly why but I can see how it might appeal to some in preference to this one. It is local for most members. In their case the members do meet up regularly and are known to each other by their real names. There is no real polarising of extremes that I detect. Yes, the Diabetes.co.uk site and forum is given credit, is quoted and recommended but the Facebook forum of the BMG is tied to the BMG surgery first and foremost.

My surgery does not have a Low Carb or T2 meet, nor a drop in type session, nor a Facebook Group or any other group. It does have a Diabetes.co.uk poster on the wall of the surgery but how many patients have joined because of it is not possible to gauge. A Facebook Group run by the surgery would have a better fix on numbers and who is participating. Finally such a group is private in the sense that only members can read the various posts.

To my mind the role that Diabetes.co.uk is performing should be performed by our respective GP surgerys.

But yes, I agree, many may still be left behind. Perhaps ultimately for those patients, a fixed time and date for a meet with someone like @Debandez might be a better bet.

francesk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I've just joined a Low Carb group on FB, just so see what it's like. Mind you, I get most if the undo regarding LC that I need off this forum.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @jraak

I have been giving this all a lot of thought. Therational behind the Facebook version idea was for several reasons:

Facebook Group v Pre Timetabled Meets

As opposed to a scheduled meet which was being considered then all participants with internet access can participate. Holding scheduled meets were deemed to be difficult as patients have other commitments such as work etc and it was anticipated that many simply could not turn up, however they might well be able to get to Facebook at some point in their day or week.

No venue fees compared to a scheduled meet type arrangement. No venue to organise.

No issues arranging for the group organiser to be present who too might well have other commitments.

Facebook Group v Diabetes.co.uk

Yes and your point was also raised by my surgery administrator.

Of course we all agree that Diabetes.co.uk has been fantastic for helping us T2’s to reverse our diabetic symptoms. However it also has limitations. If say a GP simply says “here’s a very useful website and forum so go away and register and they will show you the way”, what then. That GP and the surgery have no record for that patient or data from that point on,except for future consultations or blood test results. The GP or the nurses ideally would want access to follow up data and by using Diabetes.co.uk that data is with Diabetes.co.uk and not necessarily retrievable especially where user names are in place. The GP and nurses would have no knowledge of what the patient has or had been doing, whether the patient succeeds with a LCHF programme or not.

The diabetes.co.uk forum freely states that it cannot diagnose. The relationship between diagnosis and diabetes reversal would surely be best served if the site, whichever form it takes, was driven by and in the hands of ones local surgery? As far as I know there is no advisory GP representation on the Diabetes.co.uk forum.

The Bay Medical Group Low Carb Group is affiliated to the Bay Medical Group surgery in the North West and has been given the thumbs up by the GPs there. It is administered by a lady who I believe is a member of the Diabetes.co.uk forum. It is a friendly forum. I cannot put my finger on exactly why but I can see how it might appeal to some in preference to this one. It is local for most members. In their case the members do meet up regularly and are known to each other by their real names. There is no real polarising of extremes that I detect. Yes, the Diabetes.co.uk site and forum is given credit, is quoted and recommended but the Facebook forum of the BMG is tied to the BMG surgery first and foremost.

My surgery does not have a Low Carb or T2 meet, nor a drop in type session, nor a Facebook Group or any other group. It does have a Diabetes.co.uk poster on the wall of the surgery but how many patients have joined because of it is not possible to gauge. A Facebook Group run by the surgery would have a better fix on numbers and who is participating. Finally such a group is private in the sense that only members can read the various posts.

To my mind the role that Diabetes.co.uk is performing should be performed by our respective GP surgerys.

But yes, I agree, many may still be left behind. Perhaps ultimately for those patients, a fixed time and date for a meet with someone like @Debandez might be a better bet.

Hi,

How would a HCP collate this data, singling out one patient amongst many on a closed group Facebook page?

We could be talking time & resources a little like on the scale of GCHQ monitoring an individual regarding a potential "national security" breach...?

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

How would a HCP collate this data, singling out one patient amongst many on a closed group Facebook page?

We could be talking time & resources a little like on the scale of GCHQ monitoring an individual regarding a potential "national security" breach...?
It’s an interesting question. However if the page was run by the surgery and the patient had given permission if need be and if the patient stood to benefit from the whole 9 yards then surely yes. I mean the whole idea is to help the patient, surely? Don’t forget, ideally would also be a member.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It’s an interesting question. However if the page was run by the surgery and the patient had given permission if need be and if the patient stood to benefit from the whole 9 yards then surely yes. I mean the whole idea is to help the patient, surely? Don’t forget, ideally would also be a member.

Indeed, but that's a lot of medical proffessional resource tied up in the "spare time" on social media.. When do they get the leisure to sleep on top of the consultation hours put in at the surgery?

To be fair, there is an organisation for on-hand consultation at any time of the day. They would even dispatch an ambulance if need be with just 3 numbers on a phone dial.

Reactions: lucylocket61

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am not on Facebook. Most people I know don't do social media. Where I live internet is shaky at best.

There are so few NHS resources that the pressure to now add social media to the mix, and add to the burden they carry, sounds unreasonable to me.

Reactions: jjraak

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Indeed, but that's a lot of medical proffessional resource tied up in the "spare time" on social media.. When do they get the leisure to sleep on top of the consultation hours put in at the surgery?

To be fair, there is an organisation for on-hand consultation at any time of the day. They would even dispatch an ambulance if need be with just 3 numbers on a phone dial.
That’s the whole point, as the Facebook group would take care of that time you refer to. Patients helping patients etc etc, but within the ownership of the NHS. As we speak the relationship between surgery’s and Diabetes UK seems to amount to little to none. At least where there is a surgery that has its own Facebook group and where there is a connection and a relationship through that group, that is a step in the right direction.

The key is Patients Helping Patients but more directly via the NHS. At some point hopefully the various surgeries will recognise LCHF as a solution to T2 diabetes, obesity and hypertension etc and at that point they will seek to find that time that you refer to somehow. A Facebook group allied to the respective surgeries is one cost effective way and a time efficient way of going about it. Some surgeries are going ahead with this as we speak.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am not on Facebook. Most people I know don't do social media. Where I live internet is shaky at best.

There are so few NHS resources that the pressure to now add social media to the mix, and add to the burden they carry, sounds unreasonable to me.
Yet some are onto it already. It is seen as a way of capturing those that until now have been unaware or haven’t had the time to follow up on it. On the contrary it is economical in terms of resources.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Listlad if you know it is economical in terms of resources, could you define that please, and how it works? It could be very useful information for those interested and curious.

Kingofharts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Need an idear for food tonight
Something with veg
I had fish last night
Pork the night before

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Listlad if you know it is economical in terms of resources, could you define that please, and how it works? It could be very useful information for those interested and curious.
I am pretty certain you know what I mean. Being short of available resources is as applicable to the NHS as it is to Diabetes.co.uk. How about a good sales drive at surgery level - fly the flag at surgery level so that staff and patients know that Diabetes.co.uk exists. Drop off some leaflets, some posters and sell the low carb solution so that the whole nation becomes aware of Diabetes.co.uk? This forum declares Twitter as of limited use, so it follows that tweeting is insufficient. Diabetes.co.uk perhaps needs to have a stronger sales team that can get in amongst the relevant surgery staff. Or are there insufficient resources to do that?

Last edited:

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am pretty certain you know what I mean. Being short of available resources is as applicable to the NHS as it is to Diabetes.co.uk. How about a good sales drive at surgery level - fly the flag at surgery level so that staff and patients know that Diabetes.co.uk exists. Drop off some leaflets, some posters and sell the low carb solution so that the whole nation becomes aware of Diabetes.co.uk? This forum declares Twitter as of limited use, so it follows that tweeting is insufficient. Diabetes.co.uk perhaps needs to have a stronger sales team that can get in amongst the relevant surgery staff. Or are there insufficient resources to do that?

Diabetes.co.uk is a business run on lean, agile principles. It doesn't have sales people, and nor does it have physical assets, like posters or leaflets to send out.

As you know, there are freely available assets any person can download and print, should they so wish. There are also various contact channels for members, the general public and health care professionals, and indeed a health care professionals' area in the Low Carb Programme. https://www.lowcarbprogram.com/nhs/

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Diabetes.co.uk is a business run on lean, agile principles. It doesn't have sales people, and nor does it have physical assets, like posters or leaflets to send out.

As you know, there are freely available assets any person can download and print, should they so wish. There are also various contact channels for members, the general public and health care professionals, and indeed a health care professionals' area in the Low Carb Programme. https://www.lowcarbprogram.com/nhs/
Exactly. Lean principles.

The NHS also has its financial constraints and that is undoubtedly felt by T2 diabetics at the point of care. So we go full circle to my earlier post.