1st Hypo at work

DizzyChick

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
After being diagnosed 5 years ago and always being in double figures my medication has been changed, ( now on novorapid,toujeo and Forxiga) my readings have decreased to single figures which is making me feel so much better. :) I work in a small call centre and while on a call I started to feel abit shaky. Tested and was 3.6 luckily I had some jelly babies so took 5 and within 20 mins I was back up to over 5. My manager was amazing by not making a big fuss but making sure I was ok and asked if they needed to do anything ( I am the only diabetic there ) which really helped as it scared me a little.

After reading a lot of negative posts I just wanted to share my experience

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Well done, and a perfect reaction from your manager too!

KesLouise

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Ahhh that’s amazing! I also have had a positive experience like yours and think my team and manager are brilliant - not making a fuss but checking if I need anything.

What a great reaction, love it!

Reactions: Antje77

EBBeech

Thats great to hear, Ive had mixed bag of reactions at work, always great when people respond like this, especially your manager

Lowcarb 2

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
After being diagnosed 5 years ago and always being in double figures my medication has been changed, ( now on novorapid,toujeo and Forxiga) my readings have decreased to single figures which is making me feel so much better. :) I work in a small call centre and while on a call I started to feel abit shaky. Tested and was 3.6 luckily I had some jelly babies so took 5 and within 20 mins I was back up to over 5. My manager was amazing by not making a big fuss but making sure I was ok and asked if they needed to do anything ( I am the only diabetic there ) which really helped as it scared me a little.

After reading a lot of negative posts I just wanted to share my experience
I have been diagnosed for 3 yrs and all my colleagues know about my condition and are considerate when I have a hypo they know that I keep jelly babies and coke in my locker and that I wear a sos necklace and when someone new sits by me I always ask if they are ok when I test myself and I never had any problems

JMK1954

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Same here. There was a young man who sat opposite me at one point, who realised as a result that my eyes changed whenever my BS level had dropped below 4 mml. He told me and asked if I wanted to be informed when it happened. I agreed and he was a big help at an awkward time for me, when I was dealing with a new insulin and a faitly useless DSN. Another more senior colleague, who frequently arrived at my desk to ask questions about the computer system I was working on, always volunteered to make me a cup of tea if she found me reaching for the glucose tablets or chewing desperately. With this condition, you find out rapidly who your real friends are.

Edited to add - The kitchen was a short walk away and just too far to stagger back with tea, if I was feeling shaky but dying for a cup.