1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

1st Hypo at work

Discussion in 'Jobs and Employment' started by DizzyChick, Jan 18, 2020.

1. DizzyChick

DizzyChick LADA · Well-Known Member

After being diagnosed 5 years ago and always being in double figures my medication has been changed, ( now on novorapid,toujeo and Forxiga) my readings have decreased to single figures which is making me feel so much better. :) I work in a small call centre and while on a call I started to feel abit shaky. Tested and was 3.6 luckily I had some jelly babies so took 5 and within 20 mins I was back up to over 5. My manager was amazing by not making a big fuss but making sure I was ok and asked if they needed to do anything ( I am the only diabetic there ) which really helped as it scared me a little.

After reading a lot of negative posts I just wanted to share my experience

• Like Like x 7
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Hug Hug x 3
  2. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

Well done, and a perfect reaction from your manager too!

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. KesLouise

KesLouise LADA · Well-Known Member

Ahhh that’s amazing! I also have had a positive experience like yours and think my team and manager are brilliant - not making a fuss but checking if I need anything.

What a great reaction, love it!

• Like Like x 1
  4. EBBeech

EBBeech · Newbie

Thats great to hear, Ive had mixed bag of reactions at work, always great when people respond like this, especially your manager

5. Lowcarb 2

Lowcarb 2 Type 1.5 · Well-Known Member

I have been diagnosed for 3 yrs and all my colleagues know about my condition and are considerate when I have a hypo they know that I keep jelly babies and coke in my locker and that I wear a sos necklace and when someone new sits by me I always ask if they are ok when I test myself and I never had any problems

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. JMK1954

JMK1954 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Same here. There was a young man who sat opposite me at one point, who realised as a result that my eyes changed whenever my BS level had dropped below 4 mml. He told me and asked if I wanted to be informed when it happened. I agreed and he was a big help at an awkward time for me, when I was dealing with a new insulin and a faitly useless DSN. Another more senior colleague, who frequently arrived at my desk to ask questions about the computer system I was working on, always volunteered to make me a cup of tea if she found me reaching for the glucose tablets or chewing desperately. With this condition, you find out rapidly who your real friends are.

Edited to add - The kitchen was a short walk away and just too far to stagger back with tea, if I was feeling shaky but dying for a cup.

• Like Like x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook