Can anyone explain this?

Stefmjxo

I'm prediabetic, I had two pieces of tilapia for a quick dinner, parmesan crusted 32g of carbs total, I didn't have anysides. Tested at 1hr at 150, tested at 1hr50mins 176, retest at 169. Then ten minutes later at the two hour mark I was down to 130. How is this even possible?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
That looks like what I would expect from a moderate carb meal.
Eat carbs -> BG rises -> insulin production is triggered -> BG drops.
What part surprises you? Do you usually rise more, or less, or drop quicker or slower?

Stefmjxo

Both the height of the rise and the quickness that it fell. I'm now at 95 3hrs post meal. I mean technically I was under 140 at two hours, but that's not a spike.im.comfortable with. Guess if I eat it again I will only have one piece instead of two. I've also had dinner with heavier carb loads that typically leave me at 105-110 two hours post, I'm not sure why this spiked me.so high

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Both the height of the rise and the quickness that it fell. I'm now at 95 3hrs post meal. I mean technically I was under 140 at two hours, but that's not a spike.im.comfortable with. Guess if I eat it again I will only have one piece instead of two
What were you pre meal?
And what was in the crust.. obviously not just parmesan?

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
110 premeal, and it was breadcrumbs, I mean I'll have to look further because I've had mashed potatoes, rice etc and none of that spikes me like that

It can be quite a shock at what bread can do to levels and quickly.... but some people also react differently to the carbs you are eating. I'd eat 2 pieces of tilapia and scrape off the bread crumbs and see what you get results wise.

Reactions: Chook

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Both the height of the rise and the quickness that it fell. I'm now at 95 3hrs post meal. I mean technically I was under 140 at two hours, but that's not a spike.im.comfortable with. Guess if I eat it again I will only have one piece instead of two. I've also had dinner with heavier carb loads that typically leave me at 105-110 two hours post, I'm not sure why this spiked me.so high
Assuming your fish was fried, it had more fat than rice or mashed potatoes. Fat is known to slow down the absorbtion of the carbs in your food. So it makes sense that it gives you a different bg on the 2 hour mark.
What about testing after an hour with rice/mashed potatoes and see what happens?

Stefmjxo

Thenh
Assuming your fish was fried, it had more fat than rice or mashed potatoes. Fat is known to slow down the absorbtion of the carbs in your food. So it makes sense that it gives you a different bg on the 2 hour mark.
What about testing after an hour with rice/mashed potatoes and see what happens?

The highest I've seen with those is 130-140 1hr

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
110 premeal, and it was breadcrumbs, I mean I'll have to look further because I've had mashed potatoes, rice etc and none of that spikes me like that
Bread and breadcrumbs can have have quite "out of proportion" results..

leahkian

Our bodies all react differently to the food that we eat, so there are different levels for all of us. The studies that are done are on a very small scale when you look at the amount of people who suffer from any type of diabetes. I got diabetes in 1979 aged 3 where you had to carb count. Then as the years have gone by new things have come on the market. When I was offered a insulin pump they said that I need to go on a 5 day carb counting course, I told them that I had been doing it for 25 years. Then they said will you go on a half day course. I went and they showed a jacket potatoe and said you will need 5 units for this, to which I replied if I done that I will hypo in less than 2 hours. In the end we went to the cafe, checked my BG ate the jacket potato and took the 5 units. Within 90 minutes I was hypoing as I said, I said everyone is a different diabetic and research is a good thing but when you get all the results, you look for the middle and that's what you go off but how many people are the average diabetic when we are told we are all different?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm impressed that the food processing industry made you think that it was not unreasonable for fish and cheese to clock up 32gm of carbs - there must be quite a bit of simple starches added in - all extra value for them.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Our bodies all react differently to the food that we eat, so there are different levels for all of us. The studies that are done are on a very small scale when you look at the amount of people who suffer from any type of diabetes. I got diabetes in 1979 aged 3 where you had to carb count. Then as the years have gone by new things have come on the market. When I was offered a insulin pump they said that I need to go on a 5 day carb counting course, I told them that I had been doing it for 25 years. Then they said will you go on a half day course. I went and they showed a jacket potatoe and said you will need 5 units for this, to which I replied if I done that I will hypo in less than 2 hours. In the end we went to the cafe, checked my BG ate the jacket potato and took the 5 units. Within 90 minutes I was hypoing as I said, I said everyone is a different diabetic and research is a good thing but when you get all the results, you look for the middle and that's what you go off but how many people are the average diabetic when we are told we are all different?

Agreed, there is no one size fits all approach. I'd be hypoing like you did if I took 5 units for a jacket potatoe.

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Looks like we are using the Dan Quayle spellchecker on this thread.