Honeymoon phase..

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It varies from person to person widely, for 2 years I only required 1 unit basal and could get above 15g carbs for 1 unit bolus xx

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It varies from person to person widely, for 2 years I only required 1 unit basal and could get above 15g carbs for 1 unit bolus xx

1 unit of basal (a day?), wow, I've never heard someone starting off on that low a dose and being able to maintain it for 2 years. Did you find it made any difference whatsoever to your glucose levels?, I would be very interested to know how much that lowered your levels. I was diagnosed nearly 3 years ago and have remained on 10 units of basal and 1 to 2 units of novarapid dependent on what I eat. It's hard to know if I am (or even was) still in the honeymoon period, they said 3 years ago my C Peptide was the 'lower end of normal' but I have no idea whether I am no longer producing insulin or not. x

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
1 unit of basal (a day?), wow, I've never heard someone starting off on that low a dose and being able to maintain it for 2 years. Did you find it made any difference whatsoever to your glucose levels?, I would be very interested to know how much that lowered your levels. I was diagnosed nearly 3 years ago and have remained on 10 units of basal and 1 to 2 units of novarapid dependent on what I eat. It's hard to know if I am (or even was) still in the honeymoon period, they said 3 years ago my C Peptide was the 'lower end of normal' but I have no idea whether I am no longer producing insulin or not. x
yes 1 unit basal a day, I was diagnosed November 2016 and started on 8 units Tresiba, we established after a Libre trial in 2017 that it was far too much and I was hypoing during the night without waking hence why I had killer headaches through most days so it was cut down a unit every 3 days until I was only taking 1 unit, I was on that until Christmas 2018 where I've dramatically increased it, I'll have a look later to see if I can find a log book from back then, it didn't lower as that's not the job of basal, if it lowers your levels then your dose is too high, I had to get cartridges and a Novopen Echo for my Novorapid as full units were too much of a correction for me, I'm now on 14 units of Tresiba and generally 10 units bolus a day as I'm 1U:10g carbs now xx

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
yes 1 unit basal a day, I was diagnosed November 2016 and started on 8 units Tresiba, we established after a Libre trial in 2017 that it was far too much and I was hypoing during the night without waking hence why I had killer headaches through most days so it was cut down a unit every 3 days until I was only taking 1 unit, I was on that until Christmas 2018 where I've dramatically increased it, I'll have a look later to see if I can find a log book from back then, it didn't lower as that's not the job of basal, if it lowers your levels then your dose is too high, I had to get cartridges and a Novopen Echo for my Novorapid as full units were too much of a correction for me, I'm now on 14 units of Tresiba and generally 10 units bolus a day as I'm 1U:10g carbs now xx

Thank you for replying, I asked mainly because I am halfway through a carb counting/type 1 course and they have asked me to lower my basal down to 8 units because they 'think' I must be having too many hypos because my h1bac is low for them. x

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you for replying, I asked mainly because I am halfway through a carb counting/type 1 course and they have asked me to lower my basal down to 8 units because they 'think' I must be having too many hypos because my h1bac is low for them. x
Aww lucky you, I'm self taught but that's fine as I manage well so don't feel I'd benefit, have you done a basal test to see if it's too much or not? What is your hba1c at? I lost hypo awareness when I was sleeping through my hypo's and a few occasions since then, I was having hba1c's done every month for a while as it was down at 33 and all that xx

jamesfitz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
i am 4.5 years into my honeymoon.

stayed on insulin straight away which i believe has lengthened the honeymoon period

only on novorapid 1 unit per 10g carb

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Aww lucky you, I'm self taught but that's fine as I manage well so don't feel I'd benefit, have you done a basal test to see if it's too much or not? What is your hba1c at? I lost hypo awareness when I was sleeping through my hypo's and a few occasions since then, I was having hba1c's done every month for a while as it was down at 33 and all that xx

Hi, my hba1c was 38, I do have hypo awareness so I know I am not hypo'ing regularly (they said 'You must be'), my basal seems fine to me (always between 5 & 6 before meals and when fasting) but they want it higher to act as a buffer if I do go low. The course is really good actually, not just about carb counting but about all aspects of type 1 and a great chance to sit with a group and hear their experiences. I started carb counting from diagnosis (3 years ago) but even so I have picked up a few new tips and am learning very interesting info. x

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
i am 4.5 years into my honeymoon.

stayed on insulin straight away which i believe has lengthened the honeymoon period

only on novorapid 1 unit per 10g carb

Hi James, any basal at all? I think the ratio of 1 unit per 10 carbs is around the norm for many type 1s. x

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, my hba1c was 38, I do have hypo awareness so I know I am not hypo'ing regularly (they said 'You must be'), my basal seems fine to me (always between 5 & 6 before meals and when fasting) but they want it higher to act as a buffer if I do go low. The course is really good actually, not just about carb counting but about all aspects of type 1 and a great chance to sit with a group and hear their experiences. I started carb counting from diagnosis (3 years ago) but even so I have picked up a few new tips and am learning very interesting info. x
but have you performed a proper basal test? fasting throughout different periods of the day? most carb counting courses they ask you to perform one

I don't want to hear about other experiences if I'm honest, I know 2 other Type 1's in my town who haven't bothered looking after themselves and are in terrible health, amputations and the likes but they took a long period of time to get these complications, I've taken care of my diabetes since the day I was diagnosed and I've already had 2 different related eye complications, the first being less than a month after my Type 1 diagnosis and the 2nd less than 2 years in, it really gets to me that I've done everything as I should and get that yet people have been reckless for years and never had anything wrong, it has taken my life bit by bit and I suffer awful anxiety, I'm only 28

I'm glad your enjoying it though
xx

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
but have you performed a proper basal test? fasting throughout different periods of the day? most carb counting courses they ask you to perform one

I don't want to hear about other experiences if I'm honest, I know 2 other Type 1's in my town who haven't bothered looking after themselves and are in terrible health, amputations and the likes but they took a long period of time to get these complications, I've taken care of my diabetes since the day I was diagnosed and I've already had 2 different related eye complications, the first being less than a month after my Type 1 diagnosis and the 2nd less than 2 years in, it really gets to me that I've done everything as I should and get that yet people have been reckless for years and never had anything wrong, it has taken my life bit by bit and I suffer awful anxiety, I'm only 28

I'm glad your enjoying it though
xx

Hi, well I fast for at least 18 hours of the day anyway so I think my basal is fine, many thanks for your input. x