Listerine

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Only if you swallow it, and depending on the ingredients.

Last edited:

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Personally I don't use mouthwashes as they kill both the good and bad bacteria in your mouth, it's best to simply brush and floss your teeth.

Reactions: Flora123

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Listerine has fluoride in it fluoride raises blood sugar it is also a toxin so it is inadvisable in my opinion to swallow it.

When I use a mouth wash I tend to use corsodyl which does not contain fluoride though does have a tendency to discolour your teeth.

Asda sell a Chlorhexidine mouthwash which is less expensive than corsodyl .

Reactions: KezG

Lotties

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Listerine has fluoride in it fluoride raises blood sugar it is also a toxin so it is inadvisable in my opinion to swallow it.

When I use a mouth wash I tend to use corsodyl which does not contain fluoride though does have a tendency to discolour your teeth.

My dentist decribed removing my Corsodyl staining as cleaning the Berlin Wall with a toothbrush. He wasn't impressed with my bodies reaction to it. I now swill with coconut or sesame oil.

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Mouthwashes absolutely obliterate your oral biome which is equally important as your gut biome. A bit like taking antibiotics destroys your gut bacteria. Good brushing agter meals, flossing daily and tongue brushing should stop the need for a mouthwash.

Lotties

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
That's a bit weird, have you tried water?
Yes. :)
I know it's a bit weird but I have suffered from bad plaque all my life. My dentist thought it was weird too. He actually recommended it, after trying it for himself, to a patient, who, for various legitimate reasons would not clean their teeth. He had to knock them out at 3-monthly intervals to clean their teeth. He was brave enough to suggest it to them and it was a great sucess for their oral health and they got their partner to do it too.
If you have any tartar; the hard stuff, within a couple days of 10min swills of about a teaspoon of oil, the plaque will start to crack loose. It improved my gum health no end. I have used extra virgin olive oil as well but that made my joints hurt. I am lazy and don't do it absolutely every day and have recently ordered a waterpik but fluoride toothpaste was making my gums bleed.

D

Deleted member 308541

I have only used Listerine when I have had teeth extracted, a good swill around with Listerine after a meal to remove any food particles from the cavities in the gums.

Never swallowed it though, it probably has some carbs in it though but not enough to cause me concern if I ever use it again.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Not heard of oil pulling before, but looks promising, I'll be giving it a try with coconut oil:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/31780023

I'm not sure if I would have the patience to swill coconut oil around my mouth for twenty minutes every day though.

In fact I am unsure if I could physically do that anyway.

But can't do any harm for you to give it a go and let us all know.

Reactions: Lotties

Lotties

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm not sure if I would have the patience to swill coconut oil around my mouth for twenty minutes every day though.

In fact I am unsure if I could physically do that anyway.

But can't do any harm for you to give it a go and let us all know.
Start with 1tsp and 5 min. Takes a while to pop up the gumption but worth it in the end. Nothing unpleasant about it at all once you might the bullet.

Little Bird

What colour does it make your teeth go?

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I hasten to add it has not particularly effected the few teeth I have remaining just a slight discolouration on my part.

Lotties

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
What colour does it make your teeth go?
I got a black/brown colouration and didn't want to scruff the enamel away any more than needed. It doesn't affect some people but I much prefer the non toxic coconut oil.