Type 1 diabetic

Pam R

Low Carb diet
I have received the email re the free 7day trial for the Low Carb diet for type2 diabetics! Is it appropriate for me as a 75 year old recently diagnosed with T1D?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Depends. Are you adjusting your insulin doses to reflect the amount of carbs you eat? Are you adjusting your doses based on what your meter tells you and testing a lot? Are you comfortable in your knowledge on how carbs and insulin doses work together in your body?
If the answer to either of those questions is 'not really', I'd be very careful with suddenly eating a complete different amount of carbs than you usually do. It may not only affect the amount of mealtime insulin you need but your long acting as well.

Eating fewer carbs can be very helpful in managing T1, but doing so with not enough information and knowledge may land you in hospital.

Pam R

Thanks for the advice! I am only using Lantus (4 units am and 4 units pm)at the moment and my glucose levels are between 5.5 and 10 all day. I don’t eat a lot of carbs normally and have been using Michael Moseley’s recipes when I can but feel that I still need some carbs on a daily basis.

Reactions: Antje77

Muneeb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the advice! I am only using Lantus (4 units am and 4 units pm)at the moment and my glucose levels are between 5.5 and 10 all day. I don’t eat a lot of carbs normally and have been using Michael Moseley’s recipes when I can but feel that I still need some carbs on a daily basis.

Its very rare to be diagnosed with type 1 at that age. Are you sure you're not type 2 insulin dependent? Also do you not take a fast acting insulin or are you only taking Lantus?

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs

It sounds like you are already eating lowish carb. As a T1 you have a lot more dietary choice than a T2, because you can modify your insulin to match your carbs. And those blood sugar results are excellent, I'd be overjoyed if I kept within those results all the time, and I've had nearly 50 years of T1.

But on the other hand, there's no harm in signing up and getting information about low carb diets, even if you don't use it.

And if it turns out that you're T2 rather than a T1 who is still honeymooning, going low carb could reduce or even eliminate the amount of insulin you need....

But do be careful about a sudden reduction of carbs in your diet when you are taking insulin, as that is very likely to cause a hypo (too low blood sugar).

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Low Carb diet
I have received the email re the free 7day trial for the Low Carb diet for type2 diabetics! Is it appropriate for me as a 75 year old recently diagnosed with T1D?

Hi Pam - if you received the email, regarding from this site, then I suggest you contact the Programme who will be able to advise you. The contact details are below.

https://www.lowcarbprogram.com/contact/

Good luck with it all, Pam. Your diagnosis must have been a shock.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Its very rare to be diagnosed with type 1 at that age. Are you sure you're not type 2 insulin dependent? Also do you not take a fast acting insulin or are you only taking Lantus?

Whilst less usual for mature adults to become T1, it can, and does happen. The LADA variant of diagnosis is a slower onset of T1. Individuals diagnosed LADA often start on oral meds, then progress to long acting only, before needing full slow and fastball acting insulin treatment.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Over 50% of T1s are diagnosis adults. That can be anywhere from say 20 to end of life.

Pam R

I have questioned this on many occasions with the endocrinologist, diabetes nurses and doctor but they all say that I have T1D due to poly glandular auto immune syndrome which means that basically, because I have had a long history of thyroid problems and B12 deficiency, I was always at risk of getting T1D along with adrenal gland problems, celiac disease, chrons disease - which I get tested for annually. I am still in the “honeymoon” period with the T1D so I only take Lantus at the moment!
Thanks for your response!
Pam

Reactions: Struma

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks to everyone for your very valued comments!
Just to encourage you Pam R, there is a belief that going low carb will help you extend your honeymoon! If you can avoid the guesswork of taking meal time insulin and matching it to carbs then I'd say this is a benefit so best of luck and do keep any eye on your blood glucose levels.