Pretty new to this and my first post

rowlyc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
running
Hi, I was diagnosed on 06/12/2019 at 39, no family history, with a a1c of 115. I'm on 14 units of long lasting insulin twice a day and trying to keep as low carb as possible, although if I do fancy something then I am taking the rapid insulin to counteract the carbs. I have my numbers pretty level now and only (touch wood) had two hypo's so far, when out walking and not ate any carbs beforehand. There's so much to learn, some days it gets me really down and other days I think I'm doing amazing. I do think it will benefit me in ways, I am eating a lot healthier, I'm losing weight (which I needed) and I'm more focussed. I still haven't mastered, or even tried corrections, however I haven't really made any mistakes (touch wood again) to warrant correcting. I find that my DSN's have pretty much left me to it, which I hate, I would much more prefer support however, realise there must be more people in need out there. I thank god for groups like this and social media, or I would still be clueless, you guys are really helpful and informative.
I love swimming, but have only been once since diagnosis, as I'm a little concerned about where to put my meter on the poolside. The first time my partner came and sat poolside as you could there, however I can't keep asking her to come and my more local pool doesn't have seating on the poolside anyway. Any tips on where to leave your meter and finger pricker? Also, hypos in the pool, can you still recognise the symptoms? Thanks, Claire.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Welcome to the forums Claire,

Yes, medics do have a habit of chucking you in the deep end (swimming analogy) - it happened to me, (here's your insulin, thanks for popping in) and it's happened to many others in the forums. Sadly I feel that they don't really understand diabetes and they're somewhat glad to get rid of us.

The good news is that we're all experts because we have to be to survive, although we all have our own way of doing things it seems;).

Hypo symptoms can be a bit strange - I usually know when I'm below 5 but have been down below 3 with no symptoms whatsoever. All I can suggest is - listen to your body and you'll get used to it. As to poolside finger pricking and storage, I can't help you there, sorry. Do you have a kit bag for needles, insulin, meter, glucose etc?

Reactions: rowlyc

rowlyc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
running
Welcome to the forums Claire,

Yes, medics do have a habit of chucking you in the deep end (swimming analogy) - it happened to me, (here's your insulin, thanks for popping in) and it's happened to many others in the forums. Sadly I feel that they don't really understand diabetes and they're somewhat glad to get rid of us.

The good news is that we're all experts because we have to be to survive, although we all have our own way of doing things it seems;).

Hypo symptoms can be a bit strange - I usually know when I'm below 5 but have been down below 3 with no symptoms whatsoever. All I can suggest is - listen to your body and you'll get used to it. As to poolside finger pricking and storage, I can't help you there, sorry. Do you have a kit bag for needles, insulin, meter, glucose etc?

Hi, thanks for the reply. Yeah I've bought a kit bag for everything, but think I would prefer to just take my meter and finger pricker onto the poolside. I was thinking maybe just a zip lock plastic bag, so I don't get the meter soaked! Its a shame about the medical staff, not being as good as they sounded on first visit, but you are right about everyone here being experts and very helpful with it too. :)

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
I started with swimming before breakfast, when beginning insulin. My blood sugars flatline without any food or fast acting insulin on board and I can exercise safely. Since then, I have worked up to exercising whenever I please but it took 6 months and quite a few hypos which needed treating with dexter tablets in the early sessions.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I was diagnosed on 06/12/2019 at 39, no family history, with a a1c of 115. I'm on 14 units of long lasting insulin twice a day and trying to keep as low carb as possible, although if I do fancy something then I am taking the rapid insulin to counteract the carbs. I have my numbers pretty level now and only (touch wood) had two hypo's so far, when out walking and not ate any carbs beforehand. There's so much to learn, some days it gets me really down and other days I think I'm doing amazing. I do think it will benefit me in ways, I am eating a lot healthier, I'm losing weight (which I needed) and I'm more focussed. I still haven't mastered, or even tried corrections, however I haven't really made any mistakes (touch wood again) to warrant correcting. I find that my DSN's have pretty much left me to it, which I hate, I would much more prefer support however, realise there must be more people in need out there. I thank god for groups like this and social media, or I would still be clueless, you guys are really helpful and informative.
I love swimming, but have only been once since diagnosis, as I'm a little concerned about where to put my meter on the poolside. The first time my partner came and sat poolside as you could there, however I can't keep asking her to come and my more local pool doesn't have seating on the poolside anyway. Any tips on where to leave your meter and finger pricker? Also, hypos in the pool, can you still recognise the symptoms? Thanks, Claire.

Hi there and welcome! It makes a change for them to actually diagnose in the first few weeks, normally you wait forever and a day for the various tests. Did you have any symptoms prior to diagnosis and how did they come to diagnose. I am always interested in the start of people's stories because most of us experience a rather chaotic introduction and spend 3 months having been wrongly diagnosed. x

rowlyc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
running
To be fair, I'm still not diagnosed fully as type 1. They are treating me as that, but I'm due to see my consultant on Sunday for my results.
Symptoms, I was losing weight without trying, thirsty, weeing more (especially night time) and was really tired and all within a month/month and a half.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Is it a pool with a life guard? You could po the ziplock back next to them? If not, do you take your towel in and put that somewhere? If so, bag on towel. Otherwise you may have to dash for locker.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Buy a first aid kit bag (empty) on ebay. Clearly and professionally marked and they cost peanuts.

Who's gonna be that low to steal it?