Zygosid-50 that targets the disease at its source by restoring the body’s sensitivity to insulin.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Sounds like it’s a fair way from release.

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So, once it is released, let's imagine this drug does the trick (just as a thought experiment). Which would then be preferable: Taking the drug and reverting to a "normal" (high carb) diet? Or continuing to treat T2 with "diet only"?

I'm very opposed to taking medicine unless absolutely necessary, but this would be an interesting quandary. (I'm 62 and currently take no medicines at all! The doctors and nurses always act surprised when I tell them that!)

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
So, once it is released, let's imagine this drug does the trick (just as a thought experiment). Which would then be preferable: Taking the drug and reverting to a "normal" (high carb) diet? Or continuing to treat T2 with "diet only"?

I'm very opposed to taking medicine unless absolutely necessary, but this would be an interesting quandary. (I'm 62 and currently take no medicines at all! The doctors and nurses always act surprised when I tell them that!)

Thing is many if not the vast majority of T2 diabetics do just that, take the tablets or inject insulin and continue for the most part with an unchanged diet it's less troublesome for them.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I currently manage my T2 by diet alone (I've not taken metformin for over two years now) and since I'm more than happy with eating LCHF I see absolutely no logic in choosing to go back on what was for me an unwanted high carb diet so I could start taking more pills again.:***:

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
For me it would definitely be a case of sticking to the diet - the other health benefits have been fantastic and frankly I enjoy eating very low carb. Interesting option to have though.

M

Member496333

A pharmaceutical solution to what is almost exclusively a dietary problem?

Humans - 2020

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I would find that an interesting quandry. I admit that I am a carb addict- but I'm not a medication addict. I'm currently on metformin and happy to stay with that for a while as I still have a lot of weight to lose. Ultimately though I would love to come off it as I have a real mental issue with taking medication every day.

While the pill in theory would maybe allow me to eat the carbs again I'm not a renewal fan of taking medication just to stop the effects of something I chose to eat.

As people outline it's a fair way off so I don't have to really worry about it. In addition I would be worried about other side effects until it has been around a while so probably on balance I wouldn't take it.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If I was offered this drug I would take it. I still have several stones to lose and if my sensitivity to insulin was improved then I would have a better chance of doing so. I would continue to low carb and would stop taking the drug when I got down to an ideal weight.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I'd take it, too. Then I could low carb if i want to - or not if i didn't want to - it would give us that choice.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
As I am apparently TOFI or have other reasons for IR even though I am in the normal weight range I would welcome this drug.
Apart from anything else it has the potential to ease the load on my pancreas which may have limited miles left in it. Different strategies for those diagnosed for a couple of years and those nearing 12 years.
I agree that people who have potential gains from diet, exercise and general weight loss should seriously consider these before taking medication.
However one view is that T2 progress starts with IR which then drives a vicious circle of insulin over production, weight gain, and more IR.
If this is the case then removing IR from the equation could see a massive reduction in metabolic problems.
It could even help to eliminate (or at least reduce) carbohydrate addiction.

Bottom line. If IR is a major driver of long term weight gain this medication could have a massive beneficial effect.

This makes me wonder if the 80% of the obese who don't get T2 do not have IR or just have a more robust pancreas.

Caeseji

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self-fellating idiots that don't at all look at other people's views
Would I take it? Perhaps...

IF it was shown to be safe and efficacious then I would be motivated to do so whilst still enjoying my low carb WOE because I do just that, I enjoy it and the benefits it brings.

Does not quite stop me worrying about the damage already done by hyperinsulemia and if my poor pancreas isn’t hiding in the corner. I’ll admit I did have a hypo a few months back BECAUSE of over production in a fasted state. Thankfully not had one since so if this drug did help to resolve the prime driver of diseases in the western world? Brill!

Do I think it would be a silver bullet to the werewolf that is the unsustainable and quite frankly corrupt food environment we have now? I doubt it would be. But it would give people options and I am all for those (first screen I go to with any video game or tech ;) )

Reactions: Chook

Caeseji

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self-fellating idiots that don't at all look at other people's views
Artificial food?
I agree Jim, you know me. I feel like that is the prime driver of the whole issue above all things and we can fix a whole lot just by eating real food but it’ll appeal to many people still and is great for an adjunct to lifestyle therapy.

Hotpepper20000

Artificial food?
I agree. However, there are some of us who have other conditions that cause insulin resistance. Not just what we eat.
I take metformin to help with PCOS but even with low carb I’m have problems losing the last 50 pounds.
Regardless if another medication would be available I would continue eating low carb because I feel great on it.

Reactions: Goonergal