Prediabetes 6.4 bloods not diagnosed

Reginald_2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi my doctor thinks I’m pre diabetic but I’m questioning this. I’m having a tolerance test next month. My bloods have always been on the low side. I’m a 68 yr old female with a T2 husband. I have NFLD and this all started when I went in the low carb diet to help him cut his bloods. Could it be related? I’m also suffering with sickness now and again and pains in muscles and bones.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi my doctor thinks I’m pre diabetic but I’m questioning this. I’m having a tolerance test next month. My bloods have always been on the low side. I’m a 68 yr old female with a T2 husband. I have NFLD and this all started when I went in the low carb diet to help him cut his bloods. Could it be related? I’m also suffering with sickness now and again and pains in muscles and bones.
Can I ask a few questions? I don't know what NFLD is (I keep ending up on Newfoundland when I google it, and I doubt you have a Canadian province). Sorry for being dim. As for your blood sugars always having been on the low side, how would you notice that? Did you test, were there dizzy spells etc? Because there is such a thing as reactive hypoglycemia, and that can be linked to later development of (pre-) diabetes. With RH you overproduce insulin. With T2 you're insensitive you the insulin you make, and you make lots of you've reached that point, so they're kind of related. Sickness and pain would increase bloodsugars, as do some medications, like steroids and statins, so.... What you really want to do is test regularly throughout the day. Fasting, before a meal, 2 hours after the first bite, maybe another one before bed... That's a whole lot of finger pricking, but it would let you know how you're doing before the tolerance test. (You'll also want to write down what the meals were.).

Low carb can up the morning blood sugars too: https://blog.designsforhealth.com/node/835

So really, just going by your fasting blood sugars doesn't tell you anything right now. You want to know how you respond to food.
Good luck!
Jo

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
PS: pains in muscles and bones could be Vitamin D deficiency, especially at this time of year. Would be useful to get a blood test for deficiencies. Or you could just get started on a supplement and see whether things don't improve within a week.

Reactions: jjraak
M

Member496333

NAFLD (if that is what it is) indicates likely hyperinsulinemia. If that were the case then metabolic derangement may not be too far around the corner. With that in mind, prediabetes may indeed already have a foot in the door. If that 6.4mmol/L is a fasting measurement then it seems likely. Sorry.

Since you potentially have insulin problems, my advice is to ask your doctor to do some insulin profiling. Fasting and/or c-peptide. Unless this has already been done...but I have 10p that says it hasn't.

Reactions: jjraak

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
May I ask if you are taking statins? The pains in your bones and muscles could well be a side effect of this.

Reginald_2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Can I ask a few questions? I don't know what NFLD is (I keep ending up on Newfoundland when I google it, and I doubt you have a Canadian province). Sorry for being dim. As for your blood sugars always having been on the low side, how would you notice that? Did you test, were there dizzy spells etc? Because there is such a thing as reactive hypoglycemia, and that can be linked to later development of (pre-) diabetes. With RH you overproduce insulin. With T2 you're insensitive you the insulin you make, and you make lots of you've reached that point, so they're kind of related. Sickness and pain would increase bloodsugars, as do some medications, like steroids and statins, so.... What you really want to do is test regularly throughout the day. Fasting, before a meal, 2 hours after the first bite, maybe another one before bed... That's a whole lot of finger pricking, but it would let you know how you're doing before the tolerance test. (You'll also want to write down what the meals were.).

Low carb can up the morning blood sugars too: https://blog.designsforhealth.com/node/835

So really, just going by your fasting blood sugars doesn't tell you anything right now. You want to know how you respond to food.
Good luck!
Jo

Hi thanks for that. Yes I’m on write high statins because cholesterols been high for years. Sorry missed out the A in NAFLD (non alcohol fatty liver) Also have been but stopped taking calcium/D3 which were v sweet and just taking D3. Haven’t taken sugar for 50 years and always look at sugar/carb’s for foods. I am overweight though by 3/4 stones. Tested this am an hour after cup of tea and it’s 7.7. My readings normally are round the 4.2 area so I guess it could be age related. From a large family and none have the same. I’ll do what you suggest re testing after food etc b4 the test. Many thanks again.

Reginald_2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
NAFLD (if that is what it is) indicates likely hyperinsulinemia. If that were the case then metabolic derangement may not be too far around the corner. With that in mind, prediabetes may indeed already have a foot in the door. If that 6.4mmol/L is a fasting measurement then it seems likely. Sorry.

Since you potentially have insulin problems, my advice is to ask your doctor to do some insulin profiling. Fasting and/or c-peptide. Unless this has already been done...but I have 10p that says it hasn't.

I’ll do that thanks. I’ve always gone without breakfast and normally the first food would be about lunch time(approx 6 hrs later) always been ok but if I don’t eat at that time then I get shaky etc and recover about 30-40 mins later. I have noticed now tho that I can go longer than that and just feel hungry rather than the shakes. Something is def going on as various blood tests come back with anomalies that are unexplained. Think I’ll speak to husband’s doc who is a consultant.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi thanks for that. Yes I’m on write high statins because cholesterols been high for years. Sorry missed out the A in NAFLD (non alcohol fatty liver) Also have been but stopped taking calcium/D3 which were v sweet and just taking D3. Haven’t taken sugar for 50 years and always look at sugar/carb’s for foods. I am overweight though by 3/4 stones. Tested this am an hour after cup of tea and it’s 7.7. My readings normally are round the 4.2 area so I guess it could be age related. From a large family and none have the same. I’ll do what you suggest re testing after food etc b4 the test. Many thanks again.
Looking at the sugars and carbs in foods isn't very specific... Can you narrow it down? What do your meals look like in a day? Considering you're overweight and seeing relatively high(er) numbers, as well as having NAFLD and being on statins (what is high cholestrol? Do you know the breakdown of the numbers? Some people here see double digits, others a mere six... And did you know that for women, high cholesterol can actually be beneficial?), the odds that you are insulin resistant are just about 100%, so... I doubt switching from D with calcium to D without, is going to make a big difference in the grand scheme of things, it's the food you want to be looking at. (Heck, I was on pills for a while that had sugars in them... Not so much as a blip in my bloodsugars. The amount is negligible.) So if you're at serious risk for osteomalachia or -perosis, you might want to switch back. just an idea.

So... Break it down for us, if you want to do that? Do you have the numbers of your cholesterol break down that prompted the statin-use, and what do you eat/drink during the day. You'd be surprised how many people come in here thinking they're eating low carb, but then put away banana's and bread or something, both of which are high carb... So it's better to really check.

Good luck!
Jo