Cholesterol increased

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
So my hba1c dropped from 58 to 57 but apparently my cholesterol has gone up. From the 4s to 5.3. De is blaming that I’m eating too much fat which makes no sense given one reduced amount I’m eating portion wise. When I was eating more my cholesterol went down.
Anyway. Realised again I’ve been eating more fruit. Not huge amounts but more than I was. could it be this?
Could the fruit also explain why I’m struggling with cravings etc at the moment as well ?

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Could well be.. teetering on the edge of being a fat burned is never a good idea..

Dr needs some training about cholesterol...
This is why I get so stressed once I’ve left. She advocates LCHF has said its good to do then in next visit starts saying it’s bad!
I can’t keep up!

her answer to me feeling rough a lot of the time was you are diabetic. Reverse it and you will feel better!

always leave feeling thoroughly rotten

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
So my hba1c dropped from 58 to 57 but apparently my cholesterol has gone up. From the 4s to 5.3. De is blaming that I’m eating too much fat which makes no sense given one reduced amount I’m eating portion wise. When I was eating more my cholesterol went down.
Anyway. Realised again I’ve been eating more fruit. Not huge amounts but more than I was. could it be this?
Could the fruit also explain why I’m struggling with cravings etc at the moment as well ?

Nah - way low cholesterol. I'm normally around 7. :)

I would recommend that you follow up with @bulkbiker on the cholesterol education.

Also, I fell into the "fruit is healthy, must eat more" trap when first diagnosed until the Dietitian gently put me right.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This is why I get so stressed once I’ve left. She advocates LCHF has said its good to do then in next visit starts saying it’s bad!
I can’t keep up!

her answer to me feeling rough a lot of the time was you are diabetic. Reverse it and you will feel better!

always leave feeling thoroughly rotten

Well she's kind of right on the final point..you are probably experiencing swings in blood glucose that certainly won't make you fell "better". The fruit won't be helping with cravings as you keep stoking the fire.
In your shoes I'd ignore the cholesterol numbers as temporary "noise" whilst you sort out your glucose levels which are far more important.

Reactions: jjraak

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been told my total cholesterol should be 4 or under, and the more under I am, the better.

Has previous guidance been lowered?

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Well she's kind of right on the final point..you are probably experiencing swings in blood glucose that certainly won't make you fell "better". The fruit won't be helping with cravings as you keep stoking the fire.
In your shoes I'd ignore the cholesterol numbers as temporary "noise" whilst you sort out your glucose levels which are far more important.
So (and apologies if I’m being stupid) the 57 means I still have far too much sugar in my blood. So that will cause the cravings (amongst other things)?
i dint know why it’s still like that. My sugars are generally under 7. I know I go higher sometimes if I eat out and mess up but I rarely do that.
So I’m assuming I’m missing a lot of spikes

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Did you only get the total number? Maybe if she looked at the breakdown and ratios she’d be happier. Total numbers are a very blunt (useless) tool.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is a libre an option even if only one or two of them to identify when you’re missing the spikes?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
the 57 means I still have far too much sugar in my blood.
Well you certainly have more than is desirable.. and that HbA1c level implies an average blood sugar level of around 9 mmol/l so I'd hazard a guess that you are missing some high readings somewhere.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been told my total cholesterol should be 4 or under, and the more under I am, the better.

Has previous guidance been lowered?
I think that's quite old guidance ( but when did most nurses ever keep up to date!).

So far as I know 5 is now thought to be "ok"...

As your HbA1c's are pre-diabetic that should also act in your favour to as the risk of CVD (even in NHS terms) should be reduced due by that.

Studies have shown that higher total cholesterol levels in older women are overall protective (they live longer) so I certainly wouldn't try to lower levels artificially if I were in that cohort.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Well you certainly have more than is desirable.. and that HbA1c level implies an average blood sugar level of around 9 mmol/l so I'd hazard a guess that you are missing some high readings somewhere.

i know if I eat something I shouldn’t then it spikes and before Xmas I was out more than usual and over xmas I had more.

but over xmas I tried to counter it by eating less carbs in meals so not great but better than nothing. I didn’t go overboard at xmas and there was maybe one spike in a day if I did have a bit more. Is one spike a day enough to throw it out and cause it?

Dr called tonight but missed call as was working. Apparently I have to stay on lower dose due to licensing. So why I had to do hba1c after 2 months god only knows. My results would have been better over 3 months.
Need to check licensing myself to find out what’s going on.
I’m assuming you can google for licensing?

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Is a libre an option even if only one or two of them to identify when you’re missing the spikes?

i don’t know. Assuming not on nhs. Don’t really know anything about them

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Does anyone know where to find licensing.
Dr told me at start I had to go into 0.75 dose as not on metformin which was required under licensing.
Had bloods after 2 months because she wanted me on 1.5 dose.
But today she rang and left message saying she had rechecked licensing and I had to stay on the lower dose.
Anyone understand this?

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Does anyone know where to find licensing.
Dr told me at start I had to go into 0.75 dose as not on metformin which was required under licensing.
Had bloods after 2 months because she wanted me on 1.5 dose.
But today she rang and left message saying she had rechecked licensing and I had to stay on the lower dose.
Anyone understand this?
Dose of what?

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
i don’t know. Assuming not on nhs. Don’t really know anything about them
I meant self funded. You can walk into a pharmacy and buy one. (Tell them you’re diabetic and it’s vat free, somewhere around £50 depending where you get it). Assuming your phone has nfc (iPhone 7 and above, not sure about android) you don’t even need a reader. Download the software and read instructions and off you go. Many type 2 have had the odd one just to find out what’s happening when. There’s several threads explaining how/what to do with one.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
I meant self funded. You can walk into a pharmacy and buy one. (Tell them you’re diabetic and it’s vat free, somewhere around £50 depending where you get it). Assuming your phone has nfc (iPhone 7 and above, not sure about android) you don’t even need a reader. Download the software and read instructions and off you go. Many type 2 have had the odd one just to find out what’s happening when. There’s several threads explaining how/what to do with one.
I’ll have a look thanks.
Are they the things that people stick on their arms?