Have you been told not to test your blood sugars?

Auto E

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I actually couldn't read any more of this thread. I found myself really triggered!! I have found testing my glucose to be:
**empowering
**enlightening
**surprising
**helpful
**motivating
**educational
**proactive
******LIFE-CHANGING*******

I know my answer here is not articulate like some of the above ones, but I just wanted to share my interesting reaction to this page. I got this knot in my chest and felt anxious and upset. Very weird. But I think I felt..... fear that someone might try to take my glucose monitors (or now, my continuous glucose monitor) away. I prefer having my health in MY hands, not my doctor's.

That doctor that laughed at the patient for testing and making graphs - omg I felt so much rage reading that. How dare that doctor ridicule a patient's work to be proactive about one's own health? And to say to let the doctor worry about the diabetes, not the patient? How very paternalistic and condesending. I'm glad that for that patient it has all worked it fine (lower A1C, etc.), but for many of us here, it takes lots of time and experimentation to find a dietary approach that works really well for us. When to eat meals, what composition, when to exercise, etc. Glucose monitoring gives me real-time feedback on these trends.

Sigh. I think I need to do some deep breathing for a few minutes right now! LOL!

spirits

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This is not about whether the NHS should, or can afford to, provide test strips on a permanent or temporary basis to non-T1 diabetics. Having read #EveryCloud ’s post, and so many more like it over the years on this forum, I wonder whether we could gather together examples of Healthcare Professionals who have told people that it is either unnecessary or just plain wrong to test their blood sugars. It is a scandal that needs highlighting.

spirits

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes, I was told testing is unnecessary for type 2's not on insulin by my nurse.

something is seriously wrong..it was a compulsory must you had to do test your blood sugar regular until the epidemic of diabetes started and suddenly all the care for diabetes using meters and test strips was becoming a closed book not to suddenly test, testing is important, sadly my doctor would not give me a meter and no test strips from time i got diagnosed, i did to a degree find a path that was working on fitness and excercise, the sad part is i got depressed because my doctor would not give me test strips and meter to help me keep my health in check, i cannot afford to buy these..sadly now due to hearing constant we cannot cure your issue of diabetes or give you these test strips and meters i got very depressed and where i was in a positive place i am now being told i am in a very high risk zone and blood sugar is dangerously high, and i know already it will end me, i told the doctor i need test strips and meter to monitor me a 1 yearly check on a blood test aint enough, now i am in danger i feel let down and i have kids to look after, i got no chance thanks to bad advice from the nhs.

edited by moderator for language

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: jjraak

navigator

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
My wife is hovering around the habc1 threshold as pre-diabetic. We have all the blood testing kit, as I used to look after my brother who was Type 2.
I have asked our previous GP and our current GP about BG testing. As have the kit and can afford to buy more, there is no cost to NHS. However, both GP stated it was not worth effort. The "yearly" blood test is all that is needed!
On this thread how many people have actually needed to take action before becoming T2 ??

KPJ

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What amazes me - is given the scale of diabetics within the UK
Millions numbers scale - petition size wise - it surely is achievable ?
To make a sure debate within No.10 cabinet table .

Change enough to ensure all HCP's are re-educated and budget's raised too
within the NHS to meet needs of all diabetics regardless of types or the
system set .
It clearly isn't the same for all - is it ? Nope !
System currently set - steers the HCP's to start at top of list as per
therapy to be with all newly diagnosed .
As in diet/exercise firstly then metformin then others meds/means to
lower the BG levels . (some getting the advice to test their BG levels whilst
others don't get this 'sigh' )
All newly diagnosed get placed within a system in most clinics/hospitals/GP's
surgeries .
To me - its the twin effect of the mixed up education/advice coming from the HCP's
and the lack of same rule/priority for all .
Hence how/why some persons are more or less luckier than others within the
current system !

KPJ

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When I was diagnosed with type 2 I was given form to enable me to buy a meter with a discount and was supplied with strips from the doctors.years down the line I was told I no longer had to test and would not get any strips.
when I suggested was that because of NHS cuts the doctor made a funny face which said it all.
Over time and determination I am now in remission no more metforman I can’t afford to buy strips, so, not being being able to test who knows how long that will last?
KPJ

JenniferW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
... I am now in remission no more metforman I can’t afford to buy strips, so, not being being able to test who knows how long that will last?
KPJ

KPJ - I've so far managed to stay off medication, but over the years my HbA1c results were going higher and last year got to the point where medication was being talked about. I asked for a re-test after the next 3 months, got it, and I got my HbA1c level down to the lowest since they first started testing me heaven knows how many years ago. I asked for a repeat after the next 3 months because I said to the diabetic nurse that this was a real struggle and I certainly wasn't yet on top of this for the long-term, and she readily agreed to it - and suspect will do the same again.

So why not ask for another HbA1c to follow on 3 months after the last one, and then keep asking for re-tests till you're really confident that what you're doing is enough of a habit for it to work long-term?

I've got my HbA1c level down by using a free carb-counting app (I use MFP), and that means I'm not just checking every day what my carb intake is, I can actually see how I'm doing as I go through each day, and I also find the reports which look back over the week, the month, etc, really helpful. For me, I don't think I was learning as much from my meter testing as I am from this. I know we're all different, and it's a case of what's going to work for us short and long term, isn't it?

Reactions: Barb McD

OrsonKartt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
over selling.... oh so many things are enthusiastically oversold
Sadly there is so much within our medical system which is disempowering. Maybe its just because the NHS has become an industry where the fees are mainly paid for via taxes. .... It seems to me there is no accountability . - getting back on thread I was told that testing created anxiety.....lol...that was 3 years ago....I've found in reality it keeps me motivated and on track...

Reactions: Barb McD

Barb McD

I am constantly disappointed with NHS & other platforms.

Misinformation is dangerous. Over regulation is out of control.

Go to the Trust or Agency @ source, allow yourself a voice, many speak louder than none.

Testing is vital. Vital.

Last edited:

Sosgez

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Being bitten by cats. And women.
I still believe a large part of the problem is that when the NHS save money, those who influence the NHS lose money. It’s not in everyone’s interest for us all to get healthier.
Money saving suggestion: I can imagine being issued with a small tin of red paint and a brush, to daub the red cross on my front door. Plus a bin bag and cable tie, for me to get inside and seal from there. (Yes, it can be done.)
Of course, it might be handy for Corona virus too.

DamePeggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was diagnosed as T2 five years ago and was told that I did not need any medication, just good diet control. My DSN told me that checking my blood sugars was not needed - she said too many people went to see her with a diary full of readings that meant nothing to them! Since then I have moved to live in Spain where the answer seems to be just to prescribe Metformin to every T2...so far I have avoided this!

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was diagnosed as T2 five years ago and was told that I did not need any medication, just good diet control. My DSN told me that checking my blood sugars was not needed - she said too many people went to see her with a diary full of readings that meant nothing to them! Since then I have moved to live in Spain where the answer seems to be just to prescribe Metformin to every T2...so far I have avoided this!

a well done on keeping good tabs on it, @DamePeggy
Diet does seem to be the MAIN route back to some sort of safety
did you Low carb or go vegan/veggie ?

sad they don't understand the numbers though..isn't that there JOB to know what the numbers mean ?
how else are THEY going to be able to advise if SO unaware..:wideyed:..not sure that would inspire confidence in me.:***:

where did you start your journey HBA!c wise
and where are you now.

best wishes for the journey, going forward..:)

Lucylemonpip

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Once I was diagnosed T2, I bought myself a bg monitor, having come to this site and read up on information about diabetes. I subsequently had my appointment with the DN and mentioned that I had bought a bg monitor and she felt that I should just concentrate on getting my weight down, as I had an HbA1c of 50 and should be able to get this down by weight loss and exercise alone and once achieved, to then think about monitoring my bg, as to do monitoring at just having been diagnosed, was me “over-thinking things”. Of course, I took no notice! :D

Reactions: Daphne917

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Once I was diagnosed T2, I bought myself a bg monitor, having come to this site and read up on information about diabetes. I subsequently had my appointment with the DN and mentioned that I had bought a bg monitor and she felt that I should just concentrate on getting my weight down, as I had an HbA1c of 50 and should be able to get this down by weight loss and exercise alone and once achieved, to then think about monitoring my bg, as to do monitoring at just having been diagnosed, was me “over-thinking things”. Of course, I took no notice! :D

Winner for the meter, and a big plus for ignoring sad, outdated advice.:happy:

regardless of Whether you eat well or not, so many things that affect me won't affect you in the same way.
we are all individuals..this is no off the peg, one size fits all Disease.

No Sirree, this needs to be personally Tailored,
Via the greatest of T2D tailors, yes i mean, Senor Meter, tailor to the Stars (of T2..obv;) )

good luck on the journey,
great start.:happy:

Reactions: Mike d

Devonmade

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
meat
Just been reading this. It must be nearly a year since I was diagnosed and feel, like most it seems, like I have done most of the research myself. It hasnt been easy. Have found sticking to one website, this one, helps. Anyway, I have never tested my BGs. I am not aware anyone else has either! I have no idea what they should be or what I should be aiming for. Should I really have a monitor as it was said not necessary at GPs. I have periods of polyuria, with some nights getting up over 4 times with massive urinating. I havent got a UTI and feel it may be something to do with BGs. I have tried hard to stop drinking an hour before bed but that doesnt seem to help. am I right in thinking this could be BG related and, as I have a review soon, should I be querying levels? I certainly think I could be doing better but have tried very hard but there is so much to learn. any thoughts, advice welcomed. thank you

Lucylemonpip

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
On my first visit to the DN, I told her I’d got a bg monitor. She told me she felt doing this was unnecessary, as I was only just in the Diabetic range, with an HbA1c was 50, and that I wouldn’t have far to go to get below this just by losing weight and exercising. Needless to say, I ignored her advice.

Went for my second HbA1c test this morning and I again mentioned that I test my bg’s. She again said she felt this was unnecessary, until in the future when I start to develop “complications” and need medication to control bg. That was heartening news, I can tell you! Needless to say, I will again ignore her advice (re not testing bg, that is). Lol.

Devonmade

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
meat
@Devonmade what are you doing to try to control your blood glucose?
I have lost weight by evaluating everything I eat, trying to follow low carb as best possible. I have lost a stone. I take Metformin extended release x 2 daily. By HBA1C has dropped alot and the last test, I was 46 (off top of my head). I havent got a monitor as, like most, I was told they werent available and not necessary which I did find bizarre. I luckily dont have a sweet tooth so sugary foods werent an issue.