Sickness

Mermaidzen

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I would welcome some advice.
Ok but if background information.
I had pancreatitis 20yrs ago.
3ish years ago I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and put on tablets but the nurse refused to do any checks re the pancreatitis. I was out of tablets but my hba1c kept going up I ended up on 3 different tablets to no affect.
So November I saw the other diabetic nurse at the sugar and she did an insulin test which showed I am producing insulin this was was reassuring.
Anyway 10th December she decided to put me on insulin as tablets weren’t working. On that day my sugars were 20. I am on Humulin M3 KwikPen and started on 10units morning and evening. My sugars slowly came down the nurse to start with phoned me once a week and would get me to increase by 1 unit morning and night she now hasn’t phoned me for a while and I’m now on 18 units morning and night and my sugars are around 12.
Well I have gone down with a cold virus that has now gone to my chest (also have asthma) and my sugars have gone back up which nurse said they would if I got a bug and that she would tell me what to do but she forgot. Well just done my sugars ready for tea and they are 26.5. I’m not really sure what to do and of cause the drs aren’t open. I really aren’t sure if I should be worried or not and not sure how high I should let them go before I do worry so would welcome some advice.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Mermaidzen , and welcome to the forum.

We can't advice you on dosing. While going higher when ill is expected, 26.5 is worrying.
I would call out of hours or 111 for advice. Should you get nauseous or get a stomach ache or when in doubt, it would be wise to consider an A&E visit.

Please let us know how you are later on, hope you'll feel better soon!

Reactions: NaijaChick

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @Mermaidzen 26.5 is concerning, do you have any means for testing ketone levels ?

As Antje has mentioned speaking to 111 is important to get advice, no one here can advise on insulin doses so please let us know how you get on ? In the meantime please drink lots of water to help flush this through your system. Your nurse needs to be made aware also of this so please put a call in first thing Monday.

Mermaidzen

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks call 111 and was told to drink loads and to test again 2hrs after tea to see if still high and if it was to call back it had come down a bit so going to test again in a bit to see if still coming down if not will call back. When last tested as 21.8

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks call 111 and was told to drink loads and to test again 2hrs after tea to see if still high and if it was to call back it had come down a bit so going to test again in a bit to see if still coming down if not will call back. When last tested as 21.8
Glad to hear you called! I'll have my fingers crossed it'll drop more and you can wait until monday before taking more action.
Take care!