Cold feet?

mrtn.pllr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So I've been experiencing cold feet in the past few days, and it got me worried. I know that there could be a lot of complications with my feet, neuropathy, vascular problems, and whatnot. Obviously it got me really worried, that today morning I woke up with cold feet again. There is nothing else really going on, no pain, no other symptoms, I'm just kinda tired all day, but that's the ton of work and weather I guess. I had a wonderful 5.9 hba1c the last time, my sugars are all right. Thanks for your advice!

mouseee

I'd probably get it checked. I had freezing cold feet last year which turned out to be a symptom of my t2 but that literally stopped when I got my bs down.

Hope you get an answer!

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @mrtn.pllr I discovered when my feet were last checked that hairy feet are a good indicator of foot health, as it shows good blood circulation, however if your in any way concerned then get a doctor to check you over.

Reactions: TeddyTottie

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello I’d get your feet checked out just to be safe. I suffer from bad blood circulation (chilblains) and it’s not related to diabetes so my feet are always cold.

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello I’d get your feet checked out just to be safe. I suffer from bad blood circulation (chilblains) and it’s not related to diabetes so my feet are always cold.
@MeiChanski I was interested to read your comment as I've got chilblains on my hands for the first time ever. I assumed it was related to diabetes. Do you mind me asking what's caused the bad circulation, and what treatment you are given/what helped? My hands and feet are always cold, but more so this winter, and any help would be appreciated.

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Just to add, I've been to the dr and been given GTN ointment. Blood tests were all ok.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@MeiChanski I was interested to read your comment as I've got chilblains on my hands for the first time ever. I assumed it was related to diabetes. Do you mind me asking what's caused the bad circulation, and what treatment you are given/what helped? My hands and feet are always cold, but more so this winter, and any help would be appreciated.

I think it’s to do with blood vessels abnormal response/exposure to cold weather, which results in these itchy swellings on toes and fingers. I haven’t been given treatment for it, other than keeping my hands and feet moisturised to prevent dryness and cracking. Which has helped for itchiness too. If it’s really bad, like open wounds or extreme itchiness, GP can prescribe something for it. But do stay warm, not too warm because that can aggravate the itchiness. Wear socks or slippers when you roll out of bed, make sure you wash or bath in warm water, not hot water and dry yourself properly, hats, scarves and ear muffs do help and wear thin layers of clothes to keep body heat in.

I don’t think it has anything to do with diabetes, unless your BG management is bad which can affect healing if your itchiness is bad to the point of bleeding/ open wounds. I was told exercise helps to keep blood circulation moving.

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I think it’s to do with blood vessels abnormal response/exposure to cold weather, which results in these itchy swellings on toes and fingers. I haven’t been given treatment for it, other than keeping my hands and feet moisturised to prevent dryness and cracking. Which has helped for itchiness too. If it’s really bad, like open wounds or extreme itchiness, GP can prescribe something for it. But do stay warm, not too warm because that can aggravate the itchiness. Wear socks or slippers when you roll out of bed, make sure you wash or bath in warm water, not hot water and dry yourself properly, hats, scarves and ear muffs do help and wear thin layers of clothes to keep body heat in.

I don’t think it has anything to do with diabetes, unless your BG management is bad which can affect healing if your itchiness is bad to the point of bleeding/ open wounds. I was told exercise helps to keep blood circulation moving.
Thanks, I try to keep warm, but not always easy in Yorkshire!! Had a lot of stress recently, so Diabetes not been as good, but HbA1c previously was 43. I have got open wounds, which is why GP gave me GTN ointment to increase blood flow.