Bererine as a supplement

Ray807

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Has anyone tried "Bererine" as a supplement i have been taking 1000mg 3 times a day for about a month, dosn't seem to make any difference. Also tried "Goats Rue" last year but again not a lot of difference.
Do you think these supplements work or are they just a con.

mike@work

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good Morning, and welcome @Ray807 !

It's not clear, if you are a Type 1 or type 2, so I'd recommend you fill in some personal data. It's easier to give appropriate advice, if we know what type you are...

But to your question. If you are a type 2 , you can have palpable help from taking Berberine. It is in some cases comparable to Metformin's strength of action. Berberine is also, in addition to its effect on blood sugar, a good help in keeping lipids in balance. Below is a link discussing the effect of Berberine, mainly on type 2.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2410097/

also applicable on type 1, except for some of the glucose lowering mechanisms, as far as I understand it...

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
n addition to its effect on blood sugar, a good help in keeping lipids in balance.
In hamsters for sure not been properly tested on humans works in a very similar fashion to metformin but I get metformin on prescription so I think I will stay with metformin for now.

Reactions: mike@work

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Hi, Perhaps its just me, but I get the impression that you put a lot of faith in supplements 'to cure your diabetes'. But it seems you're already using the best thing which is a Low Carb 'Way Of Eating'. Nothing else, whether supplement, exercise or medication can even come close to there beneficial effect Low Carb.

Sure you need some exercise than just Low Carb, and careful use of Cinnamon, Cider Apple Vinegar and even Alcohol can help, but the vast bulk of the improvement is due to just cutting the carbs and eating less frequently.
I have no personal experience of Berberine, but I suspect you're expecting too much from it.

Ray807

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, Perhaps its just me, but I get the impression that you put a lot of faith in supplements 'to cure your diabetes'. But it seems you're already using the best thing which is a Low Carb 'Way Of Eating'. Nothing else, whether supplement, exercise or medication can even come close to there beneficial effect Low Carb.

Sure you need some exercise than just Low Carb, and careful use of Cinnamon, Cider Apple Vinegar and even Alcohol can help, but the vast bulk of the improvement is due to just cutting the carbs and eating less frequently.
I have no personal experience of Berberine, but I suspect you're expecting too much from it.

I am pre diabetic for last 15 or years, HbA1c 5.9 - 6.3
low carb diet (not super strict.
Not expecting anything from Bererine but if it was to help then why not. I have read most info on it but just wondered if anyone had had good results from it.

mike@work

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am pre diabetic for last 15 or years, HbA1c 5.9 - 6.3
low carb diet (not super strict.
Not expecting anything from Bererine but if it was to help then why not. I have read most info on it but just wondered if anyone had had good results from it.

Hello again @Ray807 :)

I agree with you, and I suppose you know what you are doing, as your chosen headline is Berberine as a SUPPLEMENT, and that's the point, in my opinion also - it goes as a supplement for treating a disease, illness, whatever you wish to call it.
At this time, I'm trying Berberine myself, but have not yet noticed any bigger differences, but then on the other hand, all natural products usually contains only small amounts of their active substances.

You don't know if it helps or not, before you try, and in doing informed decisions, you probably don't do big mistakes either...

Ray807

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello again @Ray807 :)

I agree with you, and I suppose you know what you are doing, as your chosen headline is Berberine as a SUPPLEMENT, and that's the point, in my opinion also - it goes as a supplement for treating a disease, illness, whatever you wish to call it.
At this time, I'm trying Berberine myself, but have not yet noticed any bigger differences, but then on the other hand, all natural products usually contains only small amounts of their active substances.

You don't know if it helps or not, before you try, and in doing informed decisions, you probably don't do big mistakes either...

I would be interested if you would keep me posted on any results you have. At the moment (about 4 weeks) not showing any measurable results.

mike@work

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning @Ray807

I'll try to remember to do that :) (my memory is at least in need fore some wonder drugs, you know...)

OrsonKartt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
over selling.... oh so many things are enthusiastically oversold
Just to report that after 12 weeks of Berberine supplementation I have noticed no difference in my blood sugar levels. Hey ho some things I just have to try to find out then you know as opposed to believe in something which may or may not work