Carnivore Corner

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All, need to come on these forums more!
Anyway, posted just before Xmas I think, was dallying in Carnivore, but needed some variety.

Still doing about 95% carnivore, recently cut dairy as I think it may be an issue for me, so variety even harder. Although butter doesn't seem to affect me at all, which is odd? Anyone experienced this?
But I still can't cut out my beloved peanut butter and chocolate, I only tend to have a tablespoon of PB and a square of 85% lindt chocolate, but its my one little comfort I have.

Anyway feeling good, energy has been a bit lacking lately and I am not sure why, I am wondering if I am eating enough? What amount on average to people eat a day?
I realised I don't really feel satisfied fully after breakfast, hence why I probably grab for the PB and choc around 10am! I have 2 rashers of bacon and 2 scrambled eggs in butter, I eat enough eggs so don't really want to add extra, and adding extra bacon will be too costly.. Any ideas to bump it up a bit, considering I also don't have a lot of time in the mornings.

Made some homemade pate for the first time over the weekend, which came out surprisingly well, I will probably just eat it with a spoon!

I am hoping to find a local butcher or a farmers market to try and get more locally source meat, though cost is an issue for me.
I am still quite satisfied with steak and eggs for dinner most nights, so easy and quick and next to no prep!

Ha! sounds like you have very similar tastes as me!

Re the dairy - I can't cope with whey, and butter has no whey in it. Nor do hard cheeses. Cream has a little. While yog and milk have lots. A lot of ppl assume that 'dairy intolerance' is about lactose, but some of us find the proteins are the problem.

Re the tiredness... check out how much folate you are eating. I found I was deficient on carnivore, started supplementing, and felt much better. I use the free version of cronometer. Very illuminating.

Lots of carnivores claim that 'all you need is beef steak or muscle meat'. Nope. Not me. I need the liver and other organs, and I still supplement a few things. But then I have a dodgy gut and some malabsorption issues.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I realised I don't really feel satisfied fully after breakfast, hence why I probably grab for the PB and choc around 10am! I have 2 rashers of bacon and 2 scrambled eggs in butter, I eat enough eggs so don't really want to add extra, and adding extra bacon will be too costly.. Any ideas to bump it up a bit, considering I also don't have a lot of time in the mornings

Add a bit more butter? Perhaps add some chopped up corned beef or some minced beef to the scrambled eggs?

SugarSpike

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Ha! sounds like you have very similar tastes as me!

Re the dairy - I can't cope with whey, and butter has no whey in it. Nor do hard cheeses. Cream has a little. While yog and milk have lots. A lot of ppl assume that 'dairy intolerance' is about lactose, but some of us find the proteins are the problem.

Re the tiredness... check out how much folate you are eating. I found I was deficient on carnivore, started supplementing, and felt much better. I use the free version of cronometer. Very illuminating.

Lots of carnivores claim that 'all you need is beef steak or muscle meat'. Nope. Not me. I need the liver and other organs, and I still supplement a few things. But then I have a dodgy gut and some malabsorption issues.

Thanks @Brunneria this was what I had come up with in regards to the dairy when I was thinking about it the other day, planning on doing a bit of reading on the subject of proteins in dairy and see if anything correlates with what I experience. I think I could cope if I could at least have some cheese every so often. Can I ask what cheeses you can eat in particular?

SugarSpike

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Add a bit more butter? Perhaps add some chopped up corned beef or some minced beef to the scrambled eggs?

Good idea @Goonergal I could keep some cooked mince in the fridge and just stir it in I guess? I haven't had corned beef before I don't think.

@Pasha I do eat chicken quite a bit for lunches and sometimes dinner, though I don't find it very satisfying. I have fish from time to time also.

Oh and I have no idea what my Folate intake is, maybe I should give the cronmeter try!

Dinner today was a lovely sirloin steak and 2 fried eggs, added a bit of my homemade pate, but I couldn't finish it
Managed to make some burgers whilst cooking the kids dinner, so that is lunch sorted for tomorrow

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks @Brunneria this was what I had come up with in regards to the dairy when I was thinking about it the other day, planning on doing a bit of reading on the subject of proteins in dairy and see if anything correlates with what I experience. I think I could cope if I could at least have some cheese every so often. Can I ask what cheeses you can eat in particular?

I seem to be OK with any hard cheese, presumably because the whey is removed during the cheesemaking process.
Soft cheeses are a lot less successful, so I don’t have much at a time.
I have always been fine with all goat and sheep dairy, so it is definitely the cow stuff that does me in (snuffles, yawning to the point of tears, runny nose and serious brain fog. The bigger the portion, the worse the symptoms).

current cheesy faves are extra mature cheddar, Wensleydale, St Agur, Jaalsberg and anything smoked.

Re the folate, have a read up on it. Fascinating stuff. Fatigue is a symptom of deficiency. It works in relationship to B12, so a carni diet is rich in B12 and may need folate to balance. I found that my best source was chicken liver (yum!) but couldn’t eat enough to supply sufficient to replace the deficit.

I paid for tests with Thriva private testing, and found I was very low. So now I supplement, but it took some effort to source a good brand that I could actually absorb properly.

There’s a strong belief in the carni community that you can get everything you need from steak. Not me. Not my body. And I can’t be the only one...

SugarSpike

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks @Brunneria I get them symptoms too! Congestion, quite extreme fatigue and breakouts

Found this which is quite interesting;

'Some of the symptoms of milk protein allergy differ from that of lactose intolerance; things like nasal congestion and mucus (phlegm) are more common here. And casein seems to be linked with belly fat.

Interestingly, people who have gluten intolerance are often allergic to milk proteins like whey and casein as well. These can go hand-in-hand for their protein molecular structure is very similar.'

I can also not tolerate gluten!

The sometimes getting symptoms and sometimes not would also make sense with the quantity, but has made it difficult for me to narrow it down to dairy as it was always so inconsistent, I think going carnivore has made the big difference for me to narrow things down after years of experimenting with different foods.
I think I will have no dairy at all for a bit longer then try some of the hard cheeses to see what happens.

I look forward to doing some reading on the folate, love learning all this stuff :)

Yes I think liver would be a good thing for me as well, I don't mind the taste so not really a problem, will be buying it more regularly and also making pate as its actually quite nice and a good thing to just have a spoonful of when feeling peckish between meals

Reactions: Goonergal

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In terms of eating a bit more at brekkers, you could try grating some hard cheese into your scrambled eggs. That adds some energy, and a bit of variety in the eggs?

D

Deleted member 308541

Some more pix from my butchers fasebook page.

Cheerios, or as the indigenous people in Mt Isa called them in the butcher shops I worked for "little boys".

84042389_1386283674892701_7368690581599420416_o.jpg

Rack of ram.

84321694_1384012405119828_4989693537621639168_o.jpg

Reactions: Member496333
M

Member496333

Tonight's dinner was 100g bacon lardons and 150g lamb's liver. Fried in butter. Bacon crispy but liver rare. All swimming in blood-coloured butter gravy. Beyond nutrition.

I'll probably be an inch taller in the morning :cool:

Reactions: Lotties

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Haunch of venison wrapped in bacon slow cooked for 5 hours in 2 month old multiple use stock... mmmmm heaven (although maybe a bit lean)..

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well that took the wind out of my sails. I feel inadequate now :oops:
I'll bet your liver and lardons was equally heavenly.. just happened to spot the venison in the butchers on Monday so snapped it up... sorry..

D@n1el

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Other
Hi, I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this question, but if someone (type 2) eats a meal that has only meat (0g carbs), will blood glucose still raise a little during the first couple of hours? I'm interested in carnivore and this is a doubt that came up.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this question, but if someone (type 2) eats a meal that has only meat (0g carbs), will blood glucose still raise a little during the first couple of hours? I'm interested in carnivore and this is a doubt that came up.

Mine doesn't but these days I'm not sure I can describe myself as a T2 any more.. although I will continue to identify as one...

Reactions: D@n1el

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not really sure why this would be a concern? I think blood glucose rises if you eat pebbles - ISTR Dr Bernstein calls it the incretin effect. It's not the fact of a rise that's an issue, it's how large the rise is. The less carbs, the less of a rise. People on carnivore/low carb tend to report "gentle undulations" as opposed to the peaks and troughs caused by eating a mixed diet.

Reactions: KK123 and D@n1el
M

Member496333

I have concluded that the simple answer to this question is: there isn’t a simple answer to this question. It seems to be a confluence of many factors and variables, many of which may never be universally understood or agreed upon.

My personal experience is that when I was mega insulin resistant, and maybe also borderline deficient at the same time, excess protein didn’t really have much of an effect postprandial, but definitely did increase fasting glucose over the next day or so. It was an elastic effect but was absolutely repeatable and predictable. Others report no such effect, and now nor do I :cool:

D@n1el

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Other
Thank you very much for the fantastic replies, folks! I am on my fourth day eating meat (and a little bit of hard cheese) only. I am doing it all within an hour per day, so I can have a 23:1 IF also. I was previously (for about 2 months) on a low carb diet (<20g of carbs), but after a month with lower fasting BG it was going up again for no apparent reason (especially on morning readings). Though I have no complains about low carb (it was not for such a long time, and it helped me), somehow this zero carb/animal food only feels better to me. On the very second day I could feel something else was going on. I was less hungry, had more energy, and fasting became an awful lot easier. My doubt came up because I could see my BG readings were all times so far about 3-5 mg/dL higher after a 0g carb carnivore meal. Could not find any info about it, until I read your replies. Thanks!

Last edited:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Hi and welcome to the thread :)

As others have said, the simple answer is, it varies. :D

We all live in the real world, not a laboratory, and for that reason our blood glucose fluctuates throughout the day. That is perfectly normal, and happens to everyone as our own bodies carry out a complex balancing act involving food in, glucose, protein and fat digestion, and releasing different hormones (not just insulin) to control glucose levels in the blood and releasing storing glucose into muscle, liver, and all the other cells that run on fuel.

That balance shifts if we go keto, and shifts again if we go carnivore. I choose to do keto carnivore. Others just eat meat and may or may not be in keto.

Like @bulkbiker and @Jim Lahey have said, their reactions to food has changed over time. Mine have too. Nowadays I rarely get any significant rise after food, even if it is a large carni meal. Yet my blood glucose does do quite a lot of little ups and downs throughout the day (very small ones) as I go about my normal life. Even little things like going upstairs, taking the dogs for a walk, running about grabbing stuff for a meeting that I think I am late for...

My blood glucose fluctuations from a carni all protein/fat meal are indistinguishable from all the other 'life stuff' that happens.
I take that as a great success.
Providing I stay on this eating regime, I am free of all the ups and downs that previous eating regimes caused.
And even if I stray a little - the odd square of very dark choc, a mouthful of a carby food, then that doesn't affect me as much as it used to.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you very much for the fantastic replies, folks! I am on my fourth day eating meat and a little bit of hard cheese only. I am doing it all within an hour per day, so I can have a 23:1 IF also. I was previously (for about 2 months) on a low carb diet (<20g of carbs), but after a month with lower fasting BG it was going up again for no apparent reason (especially on morning readings). Though I have no complains about low carb (it was not for such a long time), somehow this zero carb only/animal food makes me feel a lot better. On the very second day I could feel something else was going on. My doubt came up because I could see my BG was all times so far about 5 mg/dL higher after a 0g carb meat/hard cheese meal. Could not any find info about it, until I read your replies. Thanks!

Regarding your slightly increased morning reading on keto, have a read up on physiological insulin resistance.
It is something that happens to some (not all) people on keto,
It is a while since I did any reading on the subject - mainly because I consider it absolutely no cause for alarm :) - and there may be some new discussion on it that I havent seen.

But this used to be my go to source about PIR:
https://www.docmuscles.com/does-long-term-ketosis-cause-insulin-resistance/
It is an article by Phinney from March 2016

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What could be more Valentines than sharing your t-bone steak...Hope everyone has a lovely dinner..

IMG_3159.jpeg

ps I got to chew the bone afterwards though.. chefs treats..