Newly diagnosed & Confused

Gispaul

Hi all,

I’m a 57 year old male and diagnosed with T2 9 days ago. I immediately changed my diet and I have lost 8lbs in those 9 days. My day starts with two weetabix for breakfast, two (125g) of mackerel or sardines in brine (drained) for lunch and something with veg or salad for dinner. I haven’t touched any type of bread, rice, pasta, etc during the above period. I’ve also cut my daily coffee intake from 10 cups plus down to 2 and consistently drank 4 to 5 pints of water each day since diagnosis.

I bought a blood glucose monitor which showed 21.5 Mmol/l on my first day and steadily dropping to 11.2. Two days ago, I was elated as I tested at 7 Mmol/l but yesterday was 15.3 and this morning I’m showing 17. Nothings changed on my diet, no alcohol or cakes, biscuits, crisps or anything. I tested this morning about 30 minutes after my weetabix and I’m on a gradual increase of 500mg of Metformin (currently 2 tablets leading next week to 4).

Can anyone suggest what I’m doing wrong? Any advice would be appreciated. Many thanks

Paul

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
Welcome to the forum @Gispaul
Listen to your glucose monitor. 17 after Weetabix!! I think it's telling you to have bacon and eggs

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
NO way weetabix ... carb loaded ! Bin that rubbish. But credit for working out much of what doesn't agree with T2s in such a short time

Last edited:

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome,

You've already done the best thing for your health by getting a meter. I recommend that you test before a meal and 2 hours after your first bite. If it increases by more than 2 I would suggest the meal have too many carbs for your body.
I've posted a link below which will give you some information.

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/basic-information-for-newly-diagnosed-diabetics.17088/

Read around- there are awesome people with a great deal of knowledge here who are generous with their time. Just let me reassure you that there is light at the end of the tunnel. I went really low carb and my levels are now comfortably within the normal range- about the middle of the normal range- it is possible,

Welcome- read around and ask questions- also I suggest you google dawn phenomena. The morning (fasting) reading can be the last to improve.

Good luck.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all,

I’m a 57 year old male and diagnosed with T2 9 days ago. I immediately changed my diet and I have lost 8lbs in those 9 days. My day starts with two weetabix for breakfast, two (125g) of mackerel or sardines in brine (drained) for lunch and something with veg or salad for dinner. I haven’t touched any type of bread, rice, pasta, etc during the above period. I’ve also cut my daily coffee intake from 10 cups plus down to 2 and consistently drank 4 to 5 pints of water each day since diagnosis.

I bought a blood glucose monitor which showed 21.5 Mmol/l on my first day and steadily dropping to 11.2. Two days ago, I was elated as I tested at 7 Mmol/l but yesterday was 15.3 and this morning I’m showing 17. Nothings changed on my diet, no alcohol or cakes, biscuits, crisps or anything. I tested this morning about 30 minutes after my weetabix and I’m on a gradual increase of 500mg of Metformin (currently 2 tablets leading next week to 4).

Can anyone suggest what I’m doing wrong? Any advice would be appreciated. Many thanks

Paul
Hello @Gispaul , and welcome!
Good thing the weetabix had been nixed already! And well done on getting a meter. What you want to do with it though, is test at intervals that tell you the most. Usually that's before the first bite and 2 hours after it. You don't want the difference to be higher than 2.0 mmol/l, anything that meets it or is lower you could cope with just fine. Anything higher, not such a good idea. Are you taking in enough fats? Fish in oil is usually better than in brine, little tweaks like that. Anything fatty in your salad to tie you over till your next meal? In any case... Consider eggs with bacon/high meat content sausages for breakfast, or full fat Greek yogurt with a few nuts, coconut shavings and/or berries. You should see a difference with the weetabix right-quick. ;) https://josekalsbeek.blogspot.com/2019/11/the-nutritional-thingy.html ,-- this is my own little quick-start guide, it's a bit of a jumping-off point to excellent reads like Dr. Jason Fung's The Diabetes Code, this place's website (diabetes.co.uk, not. org!), and dietdoctor.com.

Any questions, throw them out there. Oh, and coffee's usually fine... Though some may respond to it, due to the caffeine, I fare rather well on decaf espresso's with some cream in. ;) (You might want to google bulletproof coffee... It's a breakfast staple to a lot of T2 diabetics. ;))