Insulin timing

Mad76

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,
Another question ...

When i was first diagnosed last year I was told to take my novorapid straight before food. In my nurses words when the food Is in front of you on plate.
6 months later after seeing consultant I told her about spikes after food. Typically going up to 14 or so then falling back down. She advised to take novorapid about 20 mins before meal. I did this . Still spikes. But not as high. But still could easily get to 12
So after this I read that using the libre best time to eat is when arrow starts going downwards after dose. For me at breakfast this can easily be 45 mins after injecting. Still get a spike but if correct dose then less than before. But easily can go from 6 to 10 or 11 still.

Any opinions or advice or experiences ?

Thanks in advance

Reactions: Schmoukes

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dose timing is the thing you need to consider when trying to limit the spikes, which you have established.....

going up about 2-3mmol is ideal for a spike in my opinion.....each meal and day will give different levels of success....but as long as you have that timing saved in your mind then thats all you need......timings can change by time of day remember....

more improvements could be made by fine tuning your basal and insulin/carb ratios of course....and keeping carbs at a lower level...

going from 6 up to 10 is quite good though...

Reactions: Mad76

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,
Another question ...

When i was first diagnosed last year I was told to take my novorapid straight before food. In my nurses words when the food Is in front of you on plate.
6 months later after seeing consultant I told her about spikes after food. Typically going up to 14 or so then falling back down. She advised to take novorapid about 20 mins before meal. I did this . Still spikes. But not as high. But still could easily get to 12
So after this I read that using the libre best time to eat is when arrow starts going downwards after dose. For me at breakfast this can easily be 45 mins after injecting. Still get a spike but if correct dose then less than before. But easily can go from 6 to 10 or 11 still.

Any opinions or advice or experiences ?

Thanks in advance
hi mad76 i always spike after breakfast regardless of pre bolusing but i am back in range a couple of hours later my consultant told me this was fine .it only happens at breakfast time lunch and tea are fine ,i wake up on good numbers then start rising again regardless of pre bolusing /corrections .does this happen to you at every meal ?

Mad76

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hi mad76 i always spike after breakfast regardless of pre bolusing but i am back in range a couple of hours later my consultant told me this was fine .it only happens at breakfast time lunch and tea are fine ,i wake up on good numbers then start rising again regardless of pre bolusing /corrections .does this happen to you at every meal ?
Yeah
Every meal pretty much spike and then return to normal. My consultant wasnt too fussed. As long as gets back to normal. But from reading around and on here it doesnt seem to be normal. Seems like people with good control barely spike after food ??

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yeah
Every meal pretty much spike and then return to normal. My consultant wasn't too fussed. As long as gets back to normal. But from reading around and on here it doesn't seem to be normal. Seems like people with good control barely spike after food ??

Its definitely normal to spike after meals and on rare occasions you can stay in range......but thats a rare occurrence for people on a moderate carb filled diet....

Reactions: porl69

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeah
Every meal pretty much spike and then return to normal. My consultant wasnt too fussed. As long as gets back to normal. But from reading around and on here it doesnt seem to be normal. Seems like people with good control barely spike after food ??
everyone spikes after meals mad76 maybe not by much even none diabetics spike and as long as your back in range i wouldnt worry too much :)

philly1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
From this is it then okay to spike after meals and be out of target range? I've just today got the libre and I've worried myself doing a glucose test so soon after meals. I rose from a 5.8 to 10.7 and that seems a little extreme. @Mad76 @karen8967

Mad76

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Its definitely normal to spike after meals and on rare occasions you can stay in range......but thats a rare occurrence for people on a moderate carb filled diet....
Yeah. I'm not on low carb, and I was thinking it must be very hard to not spike if carbs are eaten.
Thank you for the reply, this is all really informative.

Mad76

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
From this is it then okay to spike after meals and be out of target range? I've just today got the libre and I've worried myself doing a glucose test so soon after meals. I rose from a 5.8 to 10.7 and that seems a little extreme. @Mad76 @karen8967
It seems as though spiking is ok . As long as it goes back down ?? ... I think.
I'm the same, get all this from my libre.
If I was just finger pricking each meal I'd have no idea about the spike as I dont feel and issues with spiking
I can easily go from 6 to 12 after a meal.

Reactions: localshop

Mad76

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Not sure if its extreme or not
I do keep reading about health problems caused by high bg levels, hence this question really

Mad76

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
everyone spikes after meals mad76 maybe not by much even none diabetics spike and as long as your back in range i wouldnt worry too much :)
Ok. Thank.you.
Seeing people online with flat graphs sometimes makes me paranoid- I know I shouldn't compare

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
People without diabetes peak when eating. As long as the peak comes back down all is good. Don’t measure yourselves on others. They may be eating no carbs or very few.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeah

Not true Mad76, I bet you will find MOST people (type 1s anyway) will spike after a meal same as any non diabetic. My control is very good and after every meal (depending on the amount of carbs), I spike. When the spike goes up 4 points or more it usually starts dropping after about 30 minutes. I was recently in a classful of type 1s and every single one of them 'spiked'. I wouldn't call it spiking anyway unless it suddenly went extremely high, I would call it a raise and I wouldn't worry unless it remained very high for hours on end. x

Reactions: Mad76 and karen8967

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As said previous everyone spikes after meals and depending what the meal was and how many carbs were involved its different for everyone as long as bloods come bk in range it will be ok x

Mad76

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Not true Mad76, I bet you will find MOST people (type 1s anyway) will spike after a meal same as any non diabetic. My control is very good and after every meal (depending on the amount of carbs), I spike. When the spike goes up 4 points or more it usually starts dropping after about 30 minutes. I was recently in a classful of type 1s and every single one of them 'spiked'. I wouldn't call it spiking anyway unless it suddenly went extremely high, I would call it a raise and I wouldn't worry unless it remained very high for hours on end. x
Thank you

Mad76

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Fiasp reacts quicker than novorapid. I changed over 6 months ago. For me a big improvement in spikes.
Maybe I need to discuss this with consultant. If it's better for spikes I'm wondering why I was put on novorapid and not this? Maybe it's more expensive ?

Lorra1ne

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Everyone definitely spikes, I’m having same issues currently can eat lunch say two slices lower carb bread, packet plain crisp could start with 5.1 then 1.5 hours later will be 14 just done basal testing am now reducing my IC to give more insulin per carb to see if helps, also tried doing insulin 15/20 mins before BG allowing, so you are def not in your own, each day and person is so different.

Mad76

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Everyone definitely spikes, I’m having same issues currently can eat lunch say two slices lower carb bread, packet plain crisp could start with 5.1 then 1.5 hours later will be 14 just done basal testing am now reducing my IC to give more insulin per carb to see if helps, also tried doing insulin 15/20 mins before BG allowing, so you are def not in your own, each day and person is so different.
Thanks for your reply. If you dont mind me asking are you on novorapid ?

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Am on Fiasp. Still spike some meals. Still insulin resistant in the mornings. It’s a lot better than the Humalog I was on, but not perfect by any means. The less carbs I eat the less spikes there are. But for me I sometimes like to indulge and then put up with the spikes. On those days I accept and move on.