Prevention/cure

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
https://www.novonordisk.com/about-novo-nordisk/perspectives/prevention-or-cure.html

Hmmmmm!!!!!!!!
As many of you know on this forum I do tend to lose my rag when things like this get posted. AND this is no exception to that rule!!!!! It is NovoNordisk research, so good on them for looking into this as they will lose a lot of money IF they succeed. We have known about islet transplants for a number of years now BUT our immune system destroys them fairly quickly. As for preventing it......ermmm are they planning on immunizing every child born??
I have been told nigh on every 10 years or so that there will be a cure.....bear in mind I have been T1D for 49 years. It gets a bit old in the tooth!
Hey I do hope that I am wrong and they sort it out BUT still can not see it happening

Last edited:
Reactions: Stefano

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hmmmmm!!!!!!!!

I'll second your 'Hmmmm' comment, as it's been very similar for me, every 5-10 years someone says a cure is nigh and low and behold nothing comes out of it - whilst I haven't hit 49 years yet, I'm not too far behind at about 43, so until I actually see it I'm not believing it

mike@work

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I support your "Hmmm"s - and that is without yet have read the link. I will though...

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Another hmmmm from me. I have always tried to be positive with lots of hope for a cure, but alas it doesn't seem to be there 'yet' maybe future type 1's will benefit.
Now in my fourth decade.

Shannon27

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think there has been 3 different proposed "cures" in the last 15 years, which is when i remember getting excited about the first one. There have been so many research articles that i kept up with for a few years. You stop believing them pretty quickly. Although potential "cures" have been out there for years and there is so much speculation on the subject, there's too much money involved in treating us, so what corporation that makes insulin is going to research a "cure" with any enthusiasm, unless they plan to sell it?
Yes, i have put "" around every "cure" as i'm a wee bit jaded when it comes to this topic :banghead:
Hmmmmm indeed!

Reactions: therower

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yarp, for the last 43.5 years stuff on Tomorrow's world or in the New scientist with a decade deadline stamped on it.

Lol, they seem to suggest delaying the onset of T1 by ten years? As one project.

Shall we all convene in 2030 & see how they got on....?

Reactions: mike@work
M

Member496333

Everything that requires massive funding is always 5-10 years away from success. "Some time in the future" doesn't cut the mustard when people/corporations are investing millions or billions. They want an end game in sight. A projected time to return on investment. These time scales are pretty consistent across all areas of research, from smartphone innovations to quantum leaps in EV batteries - it's always 5-10 years away. No one is going to invest billions when the estimated time-to-eureka is "dunno really."

My greatest realistic expectation is that research of this nature disentangles the causes of the autoimmune reaction so that people may make practical life choices to prevent the reactions ever taking place...if indeed that is even possible. Some seem to think it might be, but I offer no opinion on that.

Reactions: EllieM

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Unless they can find a more lucrative alternate its not going to be the sort of work that will keep revenue flowing in for them is it..? I think we've more chance of bio-hackers figuring out a way eventually.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Unless they can find a more lucrative alternate its not going to be the sort of work that will keep revenue flowing in for them is it..? I think we've more chance of bio-hackers figuring out a way eventually.

I think we might have more chance of Mr Trump getting the right US state ;) and that saying something ! :D

MauroM

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
People, I understand the frustration of someone jaded with promises of a cure. BUT, we have to remember, the companies working on it are not capitalist monoliths folowing algorithms of "make money/doesn't make money". There are people working hard to develop better ways to treat diabetes (including people who either have it or have a relative who has it), they have motivations beyond simple profit at the expanse of the health of the populace (I could even argue it is better, economically, to charge, say, a hefty sum of money, NOW, to cure someone, than to risk getting discreet amounts of money from someone who might even die soon - the dichotomy of long term treatment and medicine against a definitive cure).
I'm not saying we are close to achieveing it, it's just that we shouldn't just assume it is against the interest of Big Pharma and therefore they don't really care (a LOT of people DO care).
Also, even without a definitive cure, we came a long way, in terms of technology and treatments available. Although I'm also rather skeptic regarding a cure in the near future, I believe that in our lifetime (even for the ones that are not all that young) we will have access to equipment to ease our lives (maybe, even to the point of not having to bother so much with bg levels, shots, doses, etc.). See the advent of CGMs and the development of closed loops.

TL;DR: We have the right to feel jaded, but we don't need to assume no one is interested or motivated to help us.

mojo_101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Jaded for many years, but things have improved an insane amount, remember clinitest and boiled syringes, blunt needles. Blood tests, cgm and closed loop aaps were tge biggest improvements for me... ps mice are being “cured” .... progress??? Not sure if that is permanent though.... keep smiling and hoping

Reactions: Robinredbreast

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Jaded for many years, but things have improved an insane amount, remember clinitest and boiled syringes, blunt needles. Blood tests, cgm and closed loop aaps were tge biggest improvements for me... ps mice are being “cured” .... progress??? Not sure if that is permanent though.... keep smiling and hoping

Hi,

Things have moved on with the tech.

Mice cured. Promising results?
Been hearing that for years.
Maybe more reserch regarding DNA? The result being humans genetically spliced with mice &
A world full of Beatrix Potter style zoomorphs.. :p

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Hi,

Things have moved on with the tech.

Mice cured. Promising results?
Been hearing that for years.
Maybe more reserch regarding DNA? The result being humans genetically spliced with mice &
A world full of Beatrix Potter style zoomorphs.. :p
Just as long as I’m not Squirrel Nutkin with a prosthetic tail!
Typing this slowly so as not to disturb the connection between the power bank and the MM which is charging prior to a sensor change. Any ‘cure’ that happens will no doubt benefit the generations who come long after I’m gone so I’ll be celebrating with the daisies. I’m very very grateful for the research that’s come up with the MM, Fiasp, Levemir, insulin pens etc compared with the pee tests and sandpapered needles. 50 years with T1.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just as long as I’m not Squirrel Nutkin with a prosthetic tail!
Typing this slowly so as not to disturb the connection between the power bank and the MM which is charging prior to a sensor change. Any ‘cure’ that happens will no doubt benefit the generations who come long after I’m gone so I’ll be celebrating with the daisies. I’m very very grateful for the research that’s come up with the MM, Fiasp, Levemir, insulin pens etc compared with the pee tests and sandpapered needles. 50 years with T1.

The Beatrix Potter & Disney world of humanoid animals walking round with no trousers would be practical regarding the jabs. ;)

But then, if the idea behind the genetics is an outright abolishment of the condition...

We could also be looking at oddly shaped glasses frames for anyone needing corrective vision...? :nailbiting:

image.jpeg

Medina27

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This might be controversial and maybe I'll feel different in 49 years but as a headstrong person I am not even anxious for a cure

It is what it is!!

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This might be controversial and maybe I'll feel different in 49 years but as a headstrong person I am not even anxious for a cure

It is what it is!!

Good for you Medina but when you're 60 and (possibly) suffering from the horrible effects of diabetes you definitely WILL think differently. As an example, my Mum went through h*ell as a type 1 and the quality of her life was poor despite doing everything to minimise it, especially when she got to around 60. Oh for a cure. x

Reactions: porl69

Jollymon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Not having good chocolate, and not cycling
The thing from novonordisk is a nice spin at positive marketing, but it’s not a cure. To me it’s just marketing.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people

It is what it is!!

Me neither as I know it is not going to happen in my lifetime

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

It is what it is!!
True, it is what it is, but after numerous decades everyones views do change, personally I just want a **** rest - some of us have had many problems managing it and are just plain sick of it, but I'm not convinced I'll ever see a cure (unless I fall into a cryochamber like Fry in Futurama did and wake up in a time where they have a cure - hmm, wonder where I can find one of those :))