Prediabetic, but should I be concerned about LADA?

Stefmjxo

I'm prediabetic at the moment. My fasting sugar is always normal, usually 87-93mg. My post prandials are high if I eat heavy carbs. I'm always under 120mg two hours after eating a meal, typically anywhere from 97mg-110mg. Sometimes it's higher, like tonight I had two slices of wheat bread 21g of carbs and peanut butter, I was at 140mg after two hours, so it depends on the carb I eat. I've even seen 189mg two hours after eating ***** candy. I also had gestational diabetes, first at 23, second at 25. From 23 to 25 I gained about 35 lbs and my BMI was 28 for two years after having my second daughter. My check three weeks after she was born showed increased LDL cholesterol, she was in the NICU for a week so I blamed it on all of the fast food we ate during that time. I never ate healthy after GD, I drank soda, ate fried foods and candy etc. I also didnt exercise,I assumed it had gone away. After my prediabetic diagnosis three months ago I've lost 16 lbs, BMI now at 25.

My concern for LADA comes from my age, I'm only 28. I was over weight, but not obese. My doctor has not checked me for the antibodies, but I've seen posts about type 1.5 and I'm scared. Based on my history, does it seem more likely to be true Prediabetes and not LADA? I don't see my doctor for another year and I have a lot of anxiety. I don't understand a lot about LADA, I was hoping someone had some more insight. One reason I'm leaning more towards true pre-d is the prevalence of type two in the five years following a GD diagnosis. My oldest daughter will be five in three weeks. Thank you

Last edited:

sno0opy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Simply put no i really wouldn't worry about it at all. For the most part because the chances are low. For the rest that there is literally nothing to be done in any case.

Just manage what you have, keep your levels in check through diet and activity and you will be just fine.

I mean, as you go through they years if your levels start jumping significantly and wont come down and your still sticking to your diet as you are now, then of course go and get checked out again. (assuming there is nothing else you can do to adjust your diet at this point).

But just know that if that ever did happen, which is a low possibility, having worried about it for the last 2 years wont have made a jot of difference except making your life worse with no benefit.

I was the same, early 30's but with a very high diagnosis of 87 HBA1C. I started to consider Type 1, LADA. After a few days of contemplation i pretty much came to the conclusion above and moved on with my life because there is sod all i can do about it at any rate.

Stefmjxo

Simply put no i really wouldn't worry about it at all. For the most part because the chances are low. For the rest that there is literally nothing to be done in any case.

Just manage what you have, keep your levels in check through diet and activity and you will be just fine.

I mean, as you go through they years if your levels start jumping significantly and wont come down and your still sticking to your diet as you are now, then of course go and get checked out again. (assuming there is nothing else you can do to adjust your diet at this point).

But just know that if that ever did happen, which is a low possibility, having worried about it for the last 2 years wont have made a jot of difference except making your life worse with no benefit.

I was the same, early 30's but with a very high diagnosis of 87 HBA1C. I started to consider Type 1, LADA. After a few days of contemplation i pretty much came to the conclusion above and moved on with my life because there is sod all i can do about it at any rate.

Thank you!