Fasting level 8.8

mj73

I had a fasting blood test to explain my weeks of extreme fatigue. Came back v low in B12 and glucose levels of 8.8. I need a retest in 2 weeks. I’m v concerned. I don’t feel I have any of the typical symptoms of D apart from tiredness, which could be because of b12/D deficiency. I know my diet needs to improve. I snack rather than eat and have gotten used to eating x1 meal a day. My question is does this all explain my high level? Is this something I can turn around by taking better care of myself. Have to say I’ve spend much of the day looking at what a low GI diet looks like. All rather confusing. Any insights would be most welcome. M

Chris181

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
GI Is confusing. Cutting out carbohydrates seems to be a good start...bread, rice, pasta, sugar, potato, soft drinks, etc.
Sorry to be so brutal. Fructose and sucrose (Table sugar, which is half fructose) is particularly bad as it causes fatty liver and insulin resistance, leading to high blood glucose and diabetes.
Chris

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
It could be pre-diabetes; it could be something you could turn around or get under control by taking better care of yourself. In fact, even if it did turn out to be type 2, you should still be able to control it.
I would strongly recommend Chris's post above that you cut out carbs, at least until your next test, just so you can see what your levels are like without being spiked by sugars. Remember that carbs hide in a lot of innocent looking foods- I also need to start a low-carb diet after getting a high reading at the doctor's yesterday, and I think Dr. Bernsteins list of foods to avoid is quite comprehensive- I include it below

[Avoid] all foods with added sugar or honey such as desserts, candies, and pastries; all foods made from grains and grain flours such as breads, cereals, pasta, and rice; all starchy vegetables such as potatoes, corn, carrots, peas, tomatoes, and beans; all fresh or preserved fruits and fruit juices; all dairy products except for butter, cream, and fermented cheeses, as well as full fat yogurt(for dairy products the more the fat content the less carbohydrate content)

Good luck to you- if it looks restrictive, don't worry- you can have all the meat, fish and eggs you want: any leafy green vegetable etc.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had a fasting blood test to explain my weeks of extreme fatigue. Came back v low in B12 and glucose levels of 8.8. I need a retest in 2 weeks. I’m v concerned. I don’t feel I have any of the typical symptoms of D apart from tiredness, which could be because of b12/D deficiency. I know my diet needs to improve. I snack rather than eat and have gotten used to eating x1 meal a day. My question is does this all explain my high level? Is this something I can turn around by taking better care of myself. Have to say I’ve spend much of the day looking at what a low GI diet looks like. All rather confusing. Any insights would be most welcome. M
Ignore GI. Basically all carbs are problematic for a T2 or prediabetic, be they fast or slow ones. So if you are metabolically impaired like folks here, that's the best place to start. https://josekalsbeek.blogspot.com/2019/11/the-nutritional-thingy.html <-- have a read, hopefully my little quick-start-guide'll help you find some clarity. And might I recommend dietdoctor.com, this forum's website diabetes.co.uk (not .org!) and Dr. Jason Fug's The Diabetes Code or his excellent youtube video's.

Eating one meal a day is fine, if you don't snack beforehand (as in, fast until the meal) and have a proper low carb meal with adequate fats and protein when you do sit down to eat. There's a lot to learn and a lot to gain. ;)
Good luck!
Jo

mj73

Thanks for the replies, information and links. There’s obviously something going on so I’ll need to take time to research and become more informed. Thanks again x