Freestyle libre

Donna1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Had the freestyle libre monitor several months so prob applied 4-5 of them. Didnt have it for 3 weeks and just applied a new one tonight, but after application my arm is sore n just noticed blood obv has been coming out the wee hole but not bleeding now. Should the applicator have a visible needle still on it after application? Ive never found it painful before so just worried its a faulty one n sore if its jus my skin being sensitive or if the needle part has stayed in my arm??? Anyone had this experience.

I know i can jag my insulin numerous times wai no pain then odd time its sting like mad. Any advice/experience be appreciated x

barrym

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Of you are saying that part of the filament is poking out of the hole, then that's wrong. But, does it still work? I'm sure Abbott will replace it if you call them.

Walking Girl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve had a few bleed slightly, some worked fine, others did not, I had one *gusher* after a hot bath that fell right off. That one was a little disconcerting. I also had one I put on my legs that just kept twinging over several days when I would jostle it. I pulled it off and had a rather large bruise.

I think the needle staying in you would be quite painful, and it does retract into the applicator for safety so you can toss it. Not saying it can’t happen, but I would suspect a slight joggle on your part when inserting caused a bruise (it’s easy to accidentally do), or kink in the filament. Personally, if it keeps hurting, I would remove it. If it stops to just a dull bruise feeling, I would see how it reads. Good luck.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.

Donna1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Yeah i couldn’t remember if the needle that inserts the wee plasticky bit into yer arm should be visible on the sheath once the sensor is applied as it was sore for first time. It seems to be reading ok today and not as sore as it was last night x

Reactions: porl69

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Hi @Donna1 the inserter needle retracts back into the applicator, I really cant see it still being in your arm. As for the soreness, yeah they can be sore very now and again....keep an eye on it and if it still sore in a few days then take it off and phone Abbotts and let them know, they do replace them

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Donna1 the inserter needle retracts back into the applicator, I really cant see it still being in your arm. As for the soreness, yeah they can be sore very now and again....keep an eye on it and if it still sore in a few days then take it off and phone Abbotts and let them know, they do replace them

As someone who has taken apart the applicator (a pair of pliers did the job) it would be obvious if the needle was in your arm, its not short and has a plastic end that fits into the applicator (said plastic bit stays even after I'd yanked it out with the aforementioned pliers).

But yeah I've had a couple where they were painful and Abbott replaced them for me

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
As someone who has taken apart the applicator (a pair of pliers did the job) it would be obvious if the needle was in your arm, its not short and has a plastic end that fits into the applicator (said plastic bit stays even after I'd yanked it out with the aforementioned pliers).

But yeah I've had a couple where they were painful and Abbott replaced them for me

I take every one apart to put the needle in the sharps bin and put the plastics in re-cycling. Hence why I said "I can't see it being in your arm!" The needle that is!

Last edited:

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I take every one apart to put the needle in the sharps bin and put the plastics in re-cycling. Hence why I said "I can't see it being in your arm!"
Yeah sorry I was basically just confirming what you said (whilst swearing at stuff cos the work network was busy dying

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

I've not had any issue applying these things.
However, I put a new one on Monday night & noticed a speck of blood whilst checking the tape edge on the Libre monitor possibly some blood in the hole? But I had been finger pricking prior on the fright hand. Sensor aplyed to the left arm..(I was Libre free for a day.) but there was no discomfort.

The sensor seems to work fine after the bedding in period.

Sometimes one can just catch the chosen site a little wrong.. I've had a couple of twangers in the past, persevered with no averse reaction removing at the end of its life. (To date!)

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hi @Donna1 the inserter needle retracts back into the applicator, I really cant see it still being in your arm. As for the soreness, yeah they can be sore very now and again....keep an eye on it and if it still sore in a few days then take it off and phone Abbotts and let them know

The inserter needle 'should' retract back into the applicator and probably does 99.99999% of the time. Unfortunately I have had 1 unit where I assume it wasn't inserted in the applicator properly to start with and thus, drove further forward than it should have and stuck in my arm when I removed the applicator. (It was quite painful and bled a lot).

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The inserter needle 'should' retract back into the applicator and probably does 99.99999% of the time. Unfortunately I have had 1 unit where I assume it wasn't inserted in the applicator properly to start with and thus, drove further forward than it should have and stuck in my arm when I removed the applicator. (It was quite painful and bled a lot).

Hi Urb,

Yep, I can see from the photo provided in the link what should happen in a split second action on aplication.
& where it could go wrong with the insertion sheath. If the applicator is not factory assembled correctly.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people

Ouch!! I would not want that happening to me, I have a total allergy to pain :)

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
Hi I had one sensor fail and the needle didn’t retract and stayed in my arm , let’s say if the needle is still in your arm you will know about it as in relation to the size of wee needles we inject with ( 4 mom) it’s like a javelin lol
Plus when it happened to me the side of the sensor you see had a blue piece of plastic protruding from it about 5 mm
Ps it does “ nip “ a bit