Any suggestions for jobs for the partially-sighted?

Sosgez

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Being bitten by cats. And women.
As one of the Undead (but definitely going downhill) whose sight is fading, and some would say "mind" as well, I would dearly like to find useful things to do with my time. Any suggestions ?

I volunteer. Can still make tea, one-handed these days. I'm not great on the phone. Can't understand what people say very often. I make amazingly obvious mistakes because I can't see what I'm reading very accurately. So anything that affected someone's health or was to do with money or travel would be a nightmare. Can't recognise faces very well, not to mention signs, lcd screens, phones.

Obviously I can still do a bit on a computer. Preferably nothing that has serious consequences if done incorrectly.
Surely there are better ways to fade out ?

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As one of the Undead (but definitely going downhill) whose sight is fading, and some would say "mind" as well, I would dearly like to find useful things to do with my time. Any suggestions ?

I volunteer. Can still make tea, one-handed these days. I'm not great on the phone. Can't understand what people say very often. I make amazingly obvious mistakes because I can't see what I'm reading very accurately. So anything that affected someone's health or was to do with money or travel would be a nightmare. Can't recognise faces very well, not to mention signs, lcd screens, phones.

Obviously I can still do a bit on a computer. Preferably nothing that has serious consequences if done incorrectly.
Surely there are better ways to fade out ?

Hello @Sosgez

There are all sorts of aids and support and advice for people with visual impairments.

I wonder if these folks will be able to give appropriate help and advice for you.

https://www.sightsupport.org/

I hope so.

Best wishes.

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Sosgez, how are you with animals? How about pet-sitting? Or volunteering at an animal shelter/rescue? I suspect there are paid positions in such places too :cat:

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
@Sosgez ... All I can think of is what a waste !! I know you have PC talents. How skilled are you in that area?

Sosgez

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hello @Sosgez
There are all sorts of aids and support and advice for people with visual impairments.
Thanks, I'm fully aware of these things. Unfortunately the amount of help claimed is vastly exaggerated. None are very useful in a work context. Everything one tries to do using these aids is very much slowed down. That's why I'm interested in jobs where that doesn't matter so much.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks, I'm fully aware of these things. Unfortunately the amount of help claimed is vastly exaggerated. None are very useful in a work context. Everything one tries to do using these aids is very much slowed down. That's why I'm interested in jobs where that doesn't matter so much.
Ah, ok, apologies. I was thinking maybe you could be of use to them with your skills and experience to help others.

Sosgez

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Ah, ok, apologies. I was thinking maybe you could be of use to them with your skills and experience to help others.
Again, I'd be interested in ideas about specific paid roles where low vision barriers are unimportant.
I have enough trouble keeping myself from harm every day. I'm not sure I would be safe helping others beyond my volunteering.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Again, I'd be interested in ideas about specific paid roles where low vision barriers are unimportant.
I have enough trouble keeping myself from harm every day. I'm not sure I would be safe helping others beyond my volunteering.
What's does your volunteering involve? That's might help others think of "stuff" you could do.

To be fair, you're not exactly seeking yourself on here, with several of your posts, on this thread, and others seemingly concentrating on what you can't do.

Sosgez

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
What's does your volunteering involve?
I mostly help people buy things in a charity shop. I don't want to do this any more.

Kinds of activities I've considered are things like: writing a book; creating some art; researching/investigating something, via internet resources; design of electronics, but not building it myself; something very niche in software development, but not in a group or with any urgency.
This message took me more than one hour.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
What coding skills do you have?

Sosgez

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
c, c++, c#, mfc, java (applets) .net(some), python (some), vhdl. Mostly win, some unix/linux, old os like rms/rt. Historically loads more, from 1976 on mainframes/minis, then many 8/16/32bit embedded/parallel cpus. e.g. image processing in machine code, Fortran then c,c#, device drivers, robot control, audio i/o, environmental monitoring, data logging, telemetry/mesh, sonar instruments, industrial lasers, DAQ systems, ATE, life testing. IoT. Real time - 1us is an eternity, some events last <1ps. Currently enjoying esp32s.
But I'm definitely not from the modern era software engineer culture.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
You alluded to that scope in a much earlier post

Find it hard to believe someone wouldn't find that valuable in some form. And if they did, could you handle it?

Last edited:

Sosgez

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I don't think many employers want to take the risk.