Reversing hardening of the arteries in diabetes?

KH1

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi Everybody,

Did a post on this earlier under Diabetes Discussion 'new therapies?' but see this might be the best place for it. Clemson University researchers published a way of reversing hardening of the arteries in Chronic Kidney Disease, and it seems to apply for wider diabetes where hardening of the arteries is a big challenge. The link was smartly posted by Guzzler. Seems exciting. Anybody else hear about this?

KH1

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
No, can you post a link, sounds interesting?
For some reason can't upload the link but if you search for this you'll find it
Cause of vascular disease in kidney failure reversed in animal model

Roggg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Biochemist Patrick Theut claims to have reversed calcification of his coronary arteries through nutrition and supplementation. Here's a video of Ivor Cummins and him talking about it. Not sure how legit.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

aealexandrou

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Exercise
If you want to reverse hardening of the arteries then you need to restore your HDL to LDL ratio and stop grain food. Complex carbs from grains scrape the lining of your arteries. LDL steps in to repair that damage like a plaster. HDL then steps in to remove the LDL. When your insulin is raised HDL is curtailed, the LDL continues to build up and is never dispersed hence the hardening and narrowing of the arteries.

LDL was seen as the culprit because it is nearly always present with heart and artery issues, but the real issue is elevated insulin and HDL.

The failure to address the underlying reasons for the hardening/thickening is also the reason statins don't really work. You need to reduce insulin and you can only do this by reducing processed carbs, particularly grains, and fructose.

Reactions: Arab Horse

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Complex carbs from grains scrape the lining of your arteries.
Carbohydrates are digested in the mouth , stomach and small intestine, to simple sugars. I can't see how these sugars can "scrape" the lining of your arteries.

aealexandrou

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Exercise
Carbohydrates are digested in the mouth , stomach and small intestine, to simple sugars. I can't see how these sugars can "scrape" the lining of your arteries.
Google The Washington Times 'Carbohydrates are killing us' or the British Journal of Sport Medicine article "Saturated fat does not clog the arteries: ... http://dx.doi.org/10.1136/bjsports-2016-097285.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

None of these reports in these links are from what I would consider to be reliable sources. The research is unofficial and does not seem to be properly peer reviewed. There is no test methodlogy being documented that would give confidence that the trial wa beng professionally conducted. IMHO I do not put much stock by this research as a viable route to a treatment.

Reactions: Divia