1st time T1 has got me down

Diabeticger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bread, Potatoes, anything Carby
Was diagnosed just under a year ago , not sure if its pent up anger and sadness or a realisation my life will never be "normal" again , hit me in work on friday and been really down since , the fact that everything is a chore now has hit me big time , I'm not afraid of the needles or lancet pricks it's the whole regime of it, not being able to eat stuff without checking bloods the whole lot

Please tell me this is a phase and it will pass

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I think for many it's a phase and it will pass. But come back occasionally.
the whole regime of it, not being able to eat stuff without checking bloods the whole lot
I think in many ways those feelings are related to grief over a loved one. It is the 'always' and 'nevers' that make it hurt.
But like grief over a loved one it should get better, even if it doesn't entirely go away and can still hit you unexpectedly many years later.

Give yourself some time, and look for help if it takes too long or gets too big. Again, just like with grief.
Good luck!

Reactions: Grant_Vicat

Jollymon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Not having good chocolate, and not cycling
I wish I could say that we could get better, but right now this isn’t the case. Hopefully this support group can bring yours spirits back up, and let you know that you aren’t alone. We can survive this; we just have to be better than the rest for what we have to do.

Reactions: Grant_Vicat

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
It's a phase and it will pass!:bag:

But you may feel it again in the future. I've been diabetic for almost 6 years and I just get the odd week when I really cannot be bothered. I resort to testing only when I drive and hang the rest of it.

It's normal, ignore the people who are totally on top of their diabates management 24/7.

Reactions: Antje77

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I find feelings like that come and go, while T1 isn’t a death sentence anymore, it is a life sentence. We develop amazing resilience and strength as type 1s, but it takes time. Give yourself time to grieve, for that’s what this is. Be kind to yourself x

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Was diagnosed just under a year ago , not sure if its pent up anger and sadness or a realisation my life will never be "normal" again , hit me in work on friday and been really down since , the fact that everything is a chore now has hit me big time , I'm not afraid of the needles or lancet pricks it's the whole regime of it, not being able to eat stuff without checking bloods the whole lot

Hi,

Yeah, work breaks you feel you need a little more time than all the rest to sort yer shed out before everyone else..

I agree with @urbanracer . To draw an analogy on the road of life. Don't worry about the muscle cars flying past, focus on your destination..

All the best!

steveo4

Been diabetic for a long time now. Started off on injections and now use a pump. It doesn't get any easier though. I get more bad days than good and I totally hate diabetes. I really hope that a cure is found soon but very much doubt it.

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
I'm hoping for a cure in my lifetime. Or a misdiagnosis. It keeps me going.

Shannon27

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi @Diabeticger !
The sadness about it will come and go, but unfortunately as you probably know, T1 is for life. But you can't blame yourself for it, or ask "why me?" T1 is an autoimmune disease, yes there can be factors putting people more at risk but its the luck (or un-luck) of the draw. It's S*** being a pincushion, but you can still live your life. It does not stop you from living unless you let it. Some things (like skydiving and tattoos) etc need a doctors note. You can still eat some sweet things, just moderate. Sometimes it feels like diabetes control takes over your life, but find something to make it worthwhile :) a lot of people just feel better in themselves when they have better control.
For me, i'm hoping to have kids over the next 2-3 years. I know i need better control for that, and that's my personal motivator.
I've been diabetic for 20 years or so, since i was 4. I don't remember life without it. But it hasn't stopped me from doing a lot of stuff i probably shouldn't do :D
Chin up and find your motivator, even if it's just feeling proud that you can control it :)

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Very thoughtful response @Shannon27 :)

Great writing as well

Last edited:
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people

Look at it as a blip, sure it's tiresome, inconvenient, frustrating, annoying and exasperating at times, but here we are, alive, so just take baby steps and try not to let it burden or overwhelm you, lots of deep breaths and count to 10.
I wish you all the colours of the rainbow...............except blue x
Edited

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Hi @Diabeticger Yep, its a phase....And yes it will pass. I can guarantee EVERY type 1 on this forum has gone through it.
Its a 24/7/365 thing with no holidays or rest from it. I was diagnosed 49 years ago and been thru the hoop a few times with it. I will NOT let it beat me......I am in control of it and not it in control of me.....it has never stopped me doing anything (apart from being an astronaut BUT thats another story lol). Keep strong mate it will pass

Reactions: Robinredbreast

localshop

Hi @Diabeticger I can guarantee EVERY type 1 on this forum has gone through it.

exactly. from time to time it gets all of us down, but remember that as long as you face it head on you can own it, not the other way round. I suppose I've always had the attitude that things could be worse, but occassionally it feels like a real burden. You've not had it long, so pat yourself on the back for what you're doing right and remember you've got a good friendly community here ready to spring into action and give you a virtual high 5 whenever you need it.