Can you help me? Somebody please...

southamptonsteve1959

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes. Cancer.
Hi @southamptonsteve1959 and welcome to the community. You are in the right place to reclaim your life from this allegedly progressive disease. In the 12 months since I cut carbs I have halved my Hba1c from 78 to 35. And come off all my meds. All this was done by eating real food. I find that I eat more meat now and I appreciate that can be nore expensive but over all I eat far less food and no processed food or takeaways. I only eat when I am hungry so I actually eat far less food in total. I haven't noticed my food bills going up.
I am not sure if you have weight to loose but I have also managed to drop 5 stone in 12 months without any effort (I really hate exercise)
As the others have said read around on here and learn all you can. I know virtual friends aren't really a substitute for face to face meetings but when you take control of your Type 2 you can get your life back to normal and then focus on living it to the full rather than have it dominated by an inability to process carbohydrate.
I wish you success. I am sorry I have no suggestions for groups in your area as I live in NW England.
Thank you for the reply. I have lost 10kg in the last 4 weeks, taking 30+ minute walks and swimming, I'm off anything sugar and starting to learn about carbs. Off the booze as well as I liked my wine, prob too much! Seeing my nurse tomorrow, she is the only one I have to hold a conversation with about all this which is why I'm looking to buddy someone, I did this with my cancer recovery and found it really supportive. You have an amazing story, well done you. I hope to follow the same path.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for the reply. I have lost 10kg in the last 4 weeks, taking 30+ minute walks and swimming, I'm off anything sugar and starting to learn about carbs. Off the booze as well as I liked my wine, prob too much! Seeing my nurse tomorrow, she is the only one I have to hold a conversation with about all this which is why I'm looking to buddy someone, I did this with my cancer recovery and found it really supportive. You have an amazing story, well done you. I hope to follow the same path.
Be aware some medical professionals are very wary or anti low carb. It is almost always through no or mistaken knowledge. It is supported by the nhs. There is a prescribable low carb course, there are training modules for medical staff too. Though she may or may not know anything about these. I know a few west Hampshire ccg diabetes team members are actually quite positive so fingers crossed for you.

southamptonsteve1959

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes. Cancer.
Welcome to the forum, Steve. It sounds as though you are doing all the right things and congratulations on your weight loss. I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes 6 years ago and am still on diet only. On diagnosis I was given some wrong advice by my GP about what to eat, being told to have brown rice and pasta. However, I got a meter and found out that even brown versions of those two staples sent my blood sugar levels soaring. I haven't eaten them since. I have cauliflower rice with my curries, stir fries or chilli con carne now. Two weeks ago I came across the website below which has some very interesting low carb recipes. I have made the cauliflower rice with mushrooms and spinach and it is delicious.
https://kalynskitchen.com/special-diets/low-carb/

I don't know of any support groups but I joined a diabetic forum shortly after being diagnosed and found it very helpful. When you are taking your blood sugar readings you need to test just before you eat and one and two hours afterwards to know what foodstuffs to avoid in future. Details here: https://www.diabetes-support.org.uk/info/?page_id=136 For the first few years I found it useful to keep a spreadsheet of what I am eating and my test results.

This past year though I started to eat some cakes, chocolate and ice cream and my HbA1c has gone up to 59, surprise, surprise! I took myself in hand a few weeks ago and went on the Newcastle diet. A friend on a forum had told me that the Daily Mail had published details of it. I found it online here: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-7861735/Beating-type-2-diabetes-easy-1-2-3.html I decided to try it and I am losing weight. I have also found that my meter readings when I wake up have dropped from 10 or 11 to between 6 and 7. I am still on Stage 1 but am over one third of the way through it.

Good luck Steve; keep up the good work!
Thank you. Some good advice here and I'll look into all of it. I've never been keen on pasta so I'll not miss that. Not much rice in my diet. I love omelettes and have become a master of them, mushroom my fav. I do miss chocolate, I see it everywhere and feel sad that I must try and get through the rest of my live without eating a whole bar again. I'm still learning what I can eat and what I should avoid, the low carb diet seems to be the universal message. You've done well you must be really pleased. Good job. Regards Steve

Reactions: jjraak and Serena51

southamptonsteve1959

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes. Cancer.
When I was 'well into my healthy eating' nuts were my sweeties and I always, even now, have a tub full of Brazils, Pecans, Macadamia and Almonds on the kitchen worksurface. I'm trying to return to healthy eating after major upsets during the past 20 months, and do still rely on those nuts!
Yes I do the same, I've had to stop the mix with fruit as thats not good. I'm eating nuts I never heard of before, and enjoying them, I would have snacked on choc biscuits before! Thank you.

Reactions: jjraak

southamptonsteve1959

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes. Cancer.
Be aware some medical professionals are very wary or anti low carb. It is almost always through no or mistaken knowledge. It is supported by the nhs. There is a prescribable low carb course, there are training modules for medical staff too. Though she may or may not know anything about these. I know a few west Hampshire ccg diabetes team members are actually quite positive so fingers crossed for you.
I'll let you know how it goes, I want to do it, looks the way to go.

Reactions: jjraak

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As you get used to less sugar and carbs try dark chocolate. The darker the better whereas once I hated it I am up to 85%-90% cocoa. An entire bar is less than 20g carbs (not that I suggest a whole bar at a time , just a square or two).

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I went from about 54% dark baking chocolate to 92% and now 95% dark chocolate. I now prefer the 95%. It really didn't take any time at all for me to acquire a taste for it.
@southamptonsteve1959 Do keep an eye on your cholesterol numbers when you see your doctor/nurse. On LCHF I lost a lot of weight but my LDL numbers were high. My doctor seems to think that for me it might be genetic, and I have seen on this board that apparently LCHF does not result in high LDL numbers for everyone. But I pay attention to mine.

Reactions: Barb McD

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I went from about 54% dark baking chocolate to 92% and now 95% dark chocolate. I now prefer the 95%. It really didn't take any time at all for me to acquire a taste for it.
@southamptonsteve1959 Do keep an eye on your cholesterol numbers when you see your doctor/nurse. On LCHF I lost a lot of weight but my LDL numbers were high. My doctor seems to think that for me it might be genetic, and I have seen on this board that apparently LCHF does not result in high LDL numbers for everyone. But I pay attention to mine.
High ldl can also be temporary caused whilst losing weight by any method at all not just low carb.
It is also calculated not measured and whilst on very low carb the calculations make assumptions not relevant to this way of eating.
Which sort of ldl? Small dense or big and fluffy? One is bad other is just fine.
Is it even a problem? Does it actually reflect real risk?

It’s really not as simple as most gp’s seem to believe.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
High ldl can also be temporary caused whilst losing weight by any method at all not just low carb.
It is also calculated not measured and whilst on very low carb the calculations make assumptions not relevant to this way of eating.
Which sort of ldl? Small dense or big and fluffy? One is bad other is just fine.
Is it even a problem? Does it actually reflect real risk?

It’s really not as simple as most gp’s seem to believe.

Well since my doctor is medically trained, and says that high LDL numbers can cause risk for heart attacks and heart disease and strokes, and can be caused by eating LCHF, and since my LDL is MEASURED in the blood lab work along with A1C and other panels, yes, I think high LDL can be a problem.
I would rather risk the gradual risk of higher BG numbers than the sometimes immediate results of a heart attack, stroke, or heart disease.
So, as I said, while LCHF does not seem to result in high LDL for some people, OTOH I am not going to advocate LCHF across the board for everyone. I am not medically trained, and I do not see people here posting their LDL numbers every morning.
:)

Last edited:

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you. I may have a beer once a month on payday!
I am much the same boat as you and you will handle this. As far as beer goes I can recommend Marston's Resolution. Someone on this forum put me on to it. It's only 1.6g carbs a bottle (225ml) and although it's not the greatest beer in the world it is around 4.9abv and does taste like beer, unlike all the other low-carb beers I've tried. You can't go crazy on this but even with my keto diet I can often have a couple without busting my daily limit. BTW, don't even bother with Michelob Ultra, just water.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well since my doctor is medically trained, and says that high LDL numbers can cause risk for heart attacks and heart disease and strokes, and can be caused by eating LCHF, and since my LDL is MEASURED in the blood lab work along with A1C and other panels, yes, I think high LDL can be a problem.
I would rather risk the gradual risk of higher BG numbers than the sometimes immediate results of a heart attack, stroke, or heart disease.
So, as I said, while LCHF does not seem to result in high LDL for some people, OTOH I am not going to advocated LCHF across the board for everyone. I am not medically trained, and I do not see people here posting their LDL numbers every morning.
And not all medically trained drs agree ! If your ldl is measured not calculated it’s in the minority. Not sure the relevance of posting ldl numbers particularly daily.

Your body, your choice entirely. :)

hmcc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. It is an a lonely place at the start. This forum can help you loads. Regarding the weight loss ...keep asking questions as I was diagnosed type 2 until I got a hospital referral then told I was type 1. Have the odd glass of wine it keeping you sane.

oldsteve

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thank you Jim. Yes I'm learning fast about 'alternative' foods, alternative that is to the junk food I've been living on for donkeys years. Just a real shame that most healthy and good foods can come with a higher price, I love nuts but they are so expensive for just a small packet
If you're into nuts, I always get mine at Lidl. They have quite a good range and are a lot cheaper than most other places. Alternatively you could try online. if you can buy in bulk then you can make some good savings. Online is also a good place to find things like nut flours, seeds, etc. if you're into replacing some of the foods you were used to before diagnosis. Lots of recipes at the https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/recipes and many other sites. I've emptied all my kitchen cupboards of the pasta, rice, etc. not forgetting all the ready made soups and sauces that were packed with carbs, especially sugars. If you must buy pre-made foods, always read the labels. Once you get in the swing of it you'll find you feel much better for it. AND don't forget to exercise.

RAPS_od

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi southamptonsteve1959,
I'm across the pond in California, USA, but I'm sending you a virtual hug and the best vibes I can manage to help you through all this. I've had T1 for 52 years and even for an old pro like me, it can all be pretty daunting. You've definitely come to the right place; the folks here have been a wealth of goodness! I hope you'll find a community that's local, but you've got us in the meanwhile.

Paulines7

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Stuck up people. People who do not care about others. Racists. Intolerant people. Tories.
So, as I said, while LCHF does not seem to result in high LDL for some people, OTOH I am not going to advocated LCHF across the board for everyone. I am not medically trained, and I do not see people here posting their LDL numbers every morning.

The UK is very much behind with knowledge on cholesterol, unlike other countries where they have done a lot of research. There are some medical professionals who are up to date with their knowledge and have published books about it. I have bought a few of these from Amazon and recommend these two: "The Great Cholesterol Myth" by Johnny Bowden and "The Great Cholesterol Con" by Dr Malcolm McKendrick.

A few years back I came across a scientific report online by Harumi Okuyama, Peter H Langsjoen, Tomohito Hamazaki, Yoichi Ogushi, Rokuro Hama, Tetsuyuki Kobayashi and Hajime Uchino. It was based on extensive research done by Japan and the USA. See: http://fliphtml5.com/geii/eeeq/basic At the time, I was on a very high dose of Simvastatin (80mg) for at least 15 years and developed electrolyte problems, kidney failure (high creatinine levels), heart failure (one of my heart muscles was weak) and Type 2 diabetes. All of these are mentioned in the report. Since coming off the statins, I have been taking supplements Co-enzme Q10, Vitamin K2 and selenium as recommended in the report. My electrolytes are now normal, my kidney creatinine levels have reduced, I have been discharged from the heart failure clinic and I have my diabetes under control.

I gave a copy of the report to my GP who was in full agreement to my coming off the statins. I have also read recently that research has shown that heart attacks are more likely to occur in people who have low cholesterol than those with high figures. The research is out there in books and online but it is up to each individual to form their own opinion. Medical professionals are not all up to date in their knowledge and many are bound by NHS guidelines which are several years out of date.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Your doctor has been trained in the lipid heart hypothesis and by drug company reps that the best way to preovent a heart attack is to lower ldl cholesterol. Because type 2 diabetics have a higher incidence of heart disease and elevated levels of LDL is is assumed that it is safer to lower those patients' ldl levels. But there are many sceptics of this theory and even the risk calculator used by your GP looks at things other than LDL e.g. triglycerides and HDL in your blood. Those are reckoned to be a far better marker of risk however they cannot be improved via pharmaceuticals but by diet. The Low Carb High Fat diet improves most of the risk factors including blood pressure and glycemic control (diabetes).
Statins DO reduce ldl but ask your GP what the statistical probability of you living a day longer/not having a heart attack is? For example even if you had already had proven heart disease, you would still only have a 1 in 84 chance of preventing a future heart attack by taking a statin. You might think that this intervention is still worthwhile but that depends on the side effects that are fairly common in statin users.
Being diabetic as taught me to question any GP or doctor who can't explain to me why I should take a particular drug just because I am diabetic.

Reactions: HSSS and Barb McD