Abnormally high HBA1c

Automon

Helo all I am new on the forum and have recently been told I have diabetes, so I have joined the forum to post some questions and see what other diabetics post about.
Just a little info before my illness I was checked April 19 and results showed 45 around December felt really unwell so off I went to the doctors, after 2 blood tests due to high readings saying it couldn't be that high the results came back The Reading 163
any comments please feel free.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you been tested for the type of diabetes?
For some only injecting insulin makes a significant improvement in just about everything.
If you are type two and lucky then lowering the amount of carbs in your diet will have a significant impact on your test results and how you feel - I feel like someone half my age but have not been able to catch one yet.

Automon

Have you been tested for the type of diabetes?
For some only injecting insulin makes a significant improvement in just about everything.
If you are type two and lucky then lowering the amount of carbs in your diet will have a significant impact on your test results and how you feel - I feel like someone half my age but have not been able to catch one yet.
Thanks for the reply it is diabetes 2 I have been given tablets and insulin but worrying part is the levels of sugar being 163 from 45 that is a significant increase in 8 months

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the reply it is diabetes 2 I have been given tablets and insulin but worrying part is the levels of sugar being 163 from 45 that is a significant increase in 8 months
That is why you were asked about type. How did they confirm type 2? Did they check for antibodies cpeptide or insulin? Too often assumptions are made and that’s a big jump in a short time.

If they did confirm it is definitely type 2 cutting carbs will be your biggest tool but you’ll have to monitor very closely and ask dr to adjust insulin otherwise you’ll go too low if you take the amount of insulin set for much higher consumption of carbs.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Did anything else change in that time between 45 and 163?

Medications? Illness? Weight loss or gain? Major stress? Change in diet?

163 is a really high number and needs to come down significantly hence the insulin. That doesn’t automatically mean you will have to be on it forever if you are type 2 still producing insulin (hence the tests to check that) and there’s changes to lifestyle you haven’t yet made that you are prepared to make instead.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
If you have been eating a diet rich in 'healthy' starch then that would explain the high Hba1c. It is not all about sugar, but the total carbohydrate eaten.

Automon

Did anything else change in that time between 45 and 163?

Medications? Illness? Weight loss or gain? Major stress? Change in diet?

163 is a really high number and needs to come down significantly hence the insulin. That doesn’t automatically mean you will have to be on it forever if you are type 2 still producing insulin (hence the tests to check that) and there’s changes to lifestyle you haven’t yet made that you are prepared to make instead.
Thanks for the reply
Their were changes before I consulted the doctor , loss of weight about 5kg,lethargy, high thirst tiredness falling asleep easily and often. Due to my levels being so high another blood test was done and also a pancreas ct scan was organised the results of the scan was ok. I now have blurred vision which is also worrying and an appointment has been made for a diabetic check of the retina. So much going on its a minefield but have asked doctors to take me off insulin and keep me on tablets for now don't know if its a good thing. Recent resting checks in the morning average between 6 and 7 so something is working

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What tablets? Did you have any blood tests other than hb1ac?

Blurred vision is common for a few weeks when levels are dropped. Your body has got used to adjusting for the sugar in your eyes. Now it has to readjust to having a lot less. It takes a while. Don’t buy any expensive glasses just yet or they’ll be useless in a few weeks.

Those morning readings look a great step in the right direction. What about before and 2hr after meals?

Automon

What tablets? Did you have any blood tests other than hb1ac?

Blurred vision is common for a few weeks when levels are dropped. Your body has got used to adjusting for the sugar in your eyes. Now it has to readjust to having a lot less. It takes a while. Don’t buy any expensive glasses just yet or they’ll be useless in a few weeks.

Those morning readings look a great step in the right direction. What about before and 2hr after meals?
I will run another check on that I have been checking morning noon and night 6.1 13.3 12.6 respectively then following morning 6.3, before my meds I was off the scale each time the only reading I was getting was High. Still feeling weak but a definite improvement from what I was a couple of weeks ago.Tablets are Gilclazide 80mg and insulin is Humulin dialling if this is any help. in 14 on the pen, I have asked if I can just take the tablets 2 in morning 2 at night and monitor results.

Last edited:

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Can you tell us what you are eating in a typical day please?

Automon

Can you tell us what you are eating in a typical day please?
Yes first thing in the morning 2 slices of brown bread with butter possibly same luchtime and tea will have a dinner not a lot of potatoes quite a bit of veg carrots corn, Broccoli no meat Vary tea sometimes bacon and raw tomatoes once a week a few chips with tomatoes and some meat

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh dear. No wonder your numbers are so high.

For breakfast, could you have something like bacon and egg or an omlette?

We are all different and tolerate carbs differently. Your meter will tell you what you can and can't eat.

From your list, the only thing Icould eat is butter, carrots in tiny quantities. Odd slice of tomato.

If you are T2, you can't process carbs so, no matter the colour, NO bread, pasta, rice, potatoes.
Edited to say broccoli is great.

Last edited:

Automon

Oh dear. No wonder your numbers are so high.

For breakfast, could you have something like bacon and egg or an omlette?

We are all different and tolerate carbs differently. Your meter will tell you what you can and can't eat.

From your list, the only thing Icould eat is butter, carrots in tiny quantities. Odd slice of tomato.

If you are T2, you can't process carbs so, no matter the colour, NO bread, pasta, rice, potatoes.
Edited to say broccoli is great.
I thought bacon was out of the question I could have that then have cheese or something for tea as I only need one meal I honestly thought bacon was a no no.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
That way of eating might explain a lot - swapping bread for something with more nutrition and fewer carbohydrates could make a big difference, though the medication you are on is designed to take glucose out of your blood, so you need to be careful and swap out the high carb foods for lower ones bit by bit, as coming down from the numbers you must have achieved to get that Hba1c reading might be quite a shock - best do things in stages rather than all at once or you'll be getting false hypos.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I thought bacon was out of the question I could have that then have cheese or something for tea as I only need one meal I honestly thought bacon was a no no.
Ah - type two diabetes is an inability to deal with carbohydrates, the starches and sugars. Protein and fat handling is not affected - so you could just eat pork chops or steak, or chicken, or leg of lamb, eggs cheese, fish too, and I add in large salads and stirfries or roasted veges, and a few berries and cream. I am dancing around like a spring lamb these days. My GP seems to be sulking.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Your kidding! Bacon, cheese, cauliflower are amongst our staples. I have just finished my evening meal, lamb chops and broccoli.

Lots of people on here do one meal a day.

Nuts and olives are fine too. Need a snack? Pork scratchings.

Automon

Ah - type two diabetes is an inability to deal with carbohydrates, the starches and sugars. Protein and fat handling is not affected - so you could just eat pork chops or steak, or chicken, or leg of lamb, eggs cheese, fish too, and I add in large salads and stirfries or roasted veges, and a few berries and cream. I am dancing around like a spring lamb these days. My GP seems to be sulking.
Thanks for the info as this is new to me it will take some getting used to and yes on the forum there are many good points from people that suffer from this condition so the info is first hand not people that think they know, which is very valuable info. Thanks again for your input.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You are going to have to turn everything you though you knew about diet on its head. Even better forget you knew anything and start from scratch. The low carb way. Bread, rice, potatoes, pasta, grains, flours, most fruits except berries, cereals including porridge all need cutting out bit by bit as well as the sugar. Fill up on fats and proteins, don’t go hungry. It’s going to feel weird and naughty but it works. For blood glucose, weight and for most people cholesterol and blood pressure too, along with inflammatory conditions, mood, and many other things.

But as said above starting from such a high point and being on so much medication you are going to need to switch to low carb gradually and keep a closer eye on blood levels. Test before and 2hrs after each meal. Random tests show little of use other than in your case they are way too high. That will soon show you what sends you high and what keeps you stable. You will need to reduce medication as you decrease carbs. There are official guidelines we can share if your nurse doesn’t know what to do or is resistant to the idea.

Automon

Your kidding! Bacon, cheese, cauliflower are amongst our staples. I have just finished my evening meal, lamb chops and broccoli.

Lots of people on here do one meal a day.

Nuts and olives are fine too. Need a snack? Pork scratchings.
Many thanks for your help regarding my illness it is really appreciated.
I have just done my reading before tea and it was an unbelievably 5.4 I have taken the tablets as instructed by the Dr. and in 2 hours I will check again. thanks again for the help. tea was fresh chicken mixed vegetables no potatoes no bread.

Reactions: Flora123

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Take a reading before your first bite and another two hours later. Don't worry about the actual readings at this stage. You are looking for a rise of no more than 2. Higher than that means too many carbs.

Download the MySugr app and record your food and numbers. After a few days it will estimate your hba1c. I found it highly motivating when I started out.