Fasting on Insulun

francesk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'm T2 but on insulin M3 and have been for about 12 years. I've been doing low carb for quite some time, and am losing weight, but quite slowly. I usually take my insulin soon after waking, and then have something to eat about an hour later. If I wanted to fast until my evening meal at 6pm, when would be the best time to take my morning insulin?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm T2 but on insulin M3 and have been for about 12 years. I've been doing low carb for quite some time, and am losing weight, but quite slowly. I usually take my insulin soon after waking, and then have something to eat about an hour later. If I wanted to fast until my evening meal at 6pm, when would be the best time to take my morning insulin?

Frances - I have never taken diabetes meds, never mind insulin, but my feeling would be you might find yourself going hypo if you fast.

As I understand it, your insulin is a mixture of slow and fast acting insulins, it could get tricky, but I know nothing.

I know my colleague @urbanracer was on mixed insulin for a while, so he may talk more sense than me.

Reactions: urbanracer

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people

M3 insulin is a mixed insulin. Long lasting and fast acting. If you did take your insulin anytime in the morning then you would find yourself going hypo pretty quickly.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
I used to take pre-mixed 25/75 insulin shortly before breakfast and then invariably I would be having a coffee and biscuit mid-morning to stop a hypo.

Mixed insulin is extremely inflexible and I really would advise caution if trying to fast whilst taking this insulin.

francesk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thank you for your replies, I had wondered if it would be sensible to try this approach, but I think probably not.

Lilylala

Hi I have been doing omad for 3 weeks now and I am also on m3 .I was taking 40 units am / pm to start.I would take usually just before breakfast and also just before tea not wait 30 mins as you are i was advised this by the hospital to optimise the quick acting part of the m3.Now I am on the omad 23 hours fast , eat at 7 pm to repeat next day.you have to very carefully watch your bs readings and I had to reduce my m3 due to hypos , I have been reducing my m3 gradually so I am about 5 mmol pre evening meal and are now down to 14 units am / pm and have lost a stone in weight .I will be carrying this On until my goal to be off meds and down 4 stone .This my journey , this is what I have done , I know every one is different.I decided to do this after seeing some on line information , also since me being on m3 I have put on 2 stone .

Reactions: francesk

mansingh01

Type of diabetes
Type 2

Hi- you need to do regular testing

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
No taking it would mean avoiding a hypo, although you may then find yourself going high if you have not received the long acting portion of the dose.....

knock off a unit or two maybe.....

francesk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thank you all for your suggestions. I've just today been put onto Dulaglutide as well as my insulin, so am going to get used to this before any dietary changes.