High protein levels & cholesterol

sweaty betty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Latest blood test shows raised cholesterol (5.6) & also found higher level of protein in urine.

GP wants to put me on a blood pressure tablet.

Anyone had similar results? Did you find meds helped? Heard so many horror stories about more and more meds I want to think things through before I make a decision.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Latest blood test shows raised cholesterol (5.6) & also found higher level of protein in urine.

GP wants to put me on a blood pressure tablet.

Anyone had similar results? Did you find meds helped? Heard so many horror stories about more and more meds I want to think things through before I make a decision.
Was your blood pressure elevated?
Do you have white coat syndrome?
Not sure what BP meds are supposed to do for a normal cholesterol level or protein in urine... how are you eating?

sweaty betty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I was told that protein in urine meant I needed a drug to protect my kidneys. It might be called ramipril (or something similar -sounding)

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Blood pressure and heart rate always up at hospital/GP so definitely have white coat syndrome!
Well in that case I'd ask for a 24 hour home monitor test before taking any medication for hypertension.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Who told you your cholesterol id elevated? 5.6 total is pretty average. However, the total is meaningless without the full breakdown of how the total was arrived at. Do you know the breakdown? (LDL, HDL and triglycerides). I have no idea why a supposedly raised cholesterol should warrant blood pressure tablets though.

sweaty betty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
The GP said cholesterol should be under 4 in people with diabetes. I don’t know the breakdown but will find out.

I think the protein in urine was the main reason for blood pressure tablets.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The GP said cholesterol should be under 4 in people with diabetes. I don’t know the breakdown but will find out.

Yes, you must find out. Ask for a print out of the blood test results.
Your GP is quoting the old guidelines. The guidelines now advise GPs to look at the ratios. You can't work out the ratios without the full lipid breakdown.

Did the GP try to prescribe a Statin aswell as the blood pressure pills? If not, then my hunch is that your breakdown is probably fine.

sweaty betty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I’ve phoned and been told that the results just show total cholesterol, no further breakdown, which is annoying.

GP didn’t try to prescribe a statin, although I’ve told them before that I won’t take statins.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve phoned and been told that the results just show total cholesterol, no further breakdown, which is annoying.

GP didn’t try to prescribe a statin, although I’ve told them before that I won’t take statins.

When you are due for your next lot of blood tests, ask for a full lipid panel to be included. The total cholesterol is meaningless.

Liftupjoe

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi I’m type 1 Alfie 38 years and was advised that the statins not only help lower cholesterol but also do other things in the body for diabetes?? Don’t ask me what the Dr didn’t elaborate, also blood pressure tablets help the kidneys I’ve been on them for years now they are safe. But always talk to your GP if you feel unsure x take care

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi I’m type 1 Alfie 38 years and was advised that the statins not only help lower cholesterol but also do other things in the body for diabetes?? Don’t ask me what the Dr didn’t elaborate, also blood pressure tablets help the kidneys I’ve been on them for years now they are safe. But always talk to your GP if you feel unsure x take care
Yes, they cna raise your BG levels !!!!!!!!!!

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Blood pressure and heart rate always up at hospital/GP so definitely have white coat syndrome!
Do they take your BP with an automatic machine, or they "old fashioned" way with sphygmometer and stethoscope? Mine is always high on the automatic machine, but perfect taken the old fashioned way

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
I was put on BP medication on diagnosis of T2. I have a family history of high BP. Doc has subsequently lowered my dosage as I lose weight and get control of my blood sugar. High BP damages the kidneys, so that’s pretty important to get control of.

It’s kind of a long story but by the time I got a lipid test, I was low carbing, luckily those numbers were normal.