Injury not healing due to diabetes?

joec888

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all, I've had a hamstring injury since March this year and, after resting and reducing my level of activity for some time, I had to stop running and cycling in October. I've had physiotherapy since then and my hamstring is better but still not healing as well I would expect. I was diagnosed with type 1.5 diabetes last month and was wondering if this might be affecting my healing? Has anyone else experienced healing problems due to diabetes?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes being diabetic can effect the healing process, if your sugars are running high or to low then it can have an effect.
We find as we get older cuts and bruises take longer to heal.

AkinBee1

I wish I could offer something more helpful, but I suffered a calf injury 8 months ago which also does not seen to be healing and doesn't show on MRI!
Some days are better than others but I refuse to allow it to hold me down, I take pain medication when I need to walk strenuously, bike or whatever else.
I am 64 years old.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I wish I could offer something more helpful, but I suffered a calf injury 8 months ago which also does not seen to be healing and doesn't show on MRI!
Some days are better than others but I refuse to allow it to hold me down, I take pain medication when I need to walk strenuously, bike or whatever else.
I am 64 years old.
High blood sugar levels can cause a very, very slow healing process and increases the risk of infection. So it really is important you get your blood sugars down. (I know it made one heck of a difference for me!)

Sgathach

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
High blood sugar levels can cause a very, very slow healing process and increases the risk of infection. So it really is important you get your blood sugars down. (I know it made one heck of a difference for me!)

Did you actually feel your healing speed up again after your sugars dropped?
I have way better levels now but cuts and bruises still take a very long time to heal.
Small bruises that would barely last 3 days now take well over a week or 2 to fade.
And cuts also take ages still.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Did you actually feel your healing speed up again after your sugars dropped?
I have way better levels now but cuts and bruises still take a very long time to heal.
Small bruises that would barely last 3 days now take well over a week or 2 to fade.
And cuts also take ages still.
For me, yeah... I used to walk around for years with pus running from my toes. Now if something's off it takes a day, maybe two, to heal. Which I do consider a marked improvement on years. But only since I've been in the normal range. Before that, I was a puss-y mess.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
This isn't an infection though so in theory diabetes should not have a direct impact on healing time though anything that cuts down on inflammation should help. For all sorts of other reasons you will want to get your blood sugars low and level and make sure you get enough sleep.
Injuries like this are frustrating but as your injury gets better and it is getting better, I'd advise you to rethink your activity regime to balance out the muscles of the front and back of the lower body e.g. weaker glutes can cause too much strain on the hamstrings.