I’m on the fence about my doctor

Walking Girl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I inherited a new one in the practice when my former doctor left. The don’t have my blood tests run before (won’t do it), just after. While she was extremely accommodating about my Freestyle Libre prescription (T2 on no meds), she also basically finger-wagged me about waiting a year between appointments (prior doc said 6 months or 1 year, my choice) and said “we‘ll be discussing a stain when we get you panels back, I’m sure.” Huh? Prior LDL (the only thing lowered by statins as I understand it), was 1.34. She required an EKG (had one last year), AND a chest x-ray. Why, I asked? Because I have T2. Despite exercising vigorously regularly and having zero apparent heart issues. Mind you, I have a high deductible plan so much of this is $$ directly out of my pocket. And for what?

I received my test results yesterday. LDL was 1.2. HDL the same at 1.47, trigs higher at 1.2 vs .85 before, but in fairness I was traveling that morning and had eaten a light breakfast about 7.5 hours before, and had coffee with cream 4 hours before. All other blood and urine test results in the totally normal range, HbA1c at 5.2%. Guess what? No discussion of statins...just a note saying “everything in range or at goal”.

that said, their office is super convenient and fast to respond.

Why do doctors basically look for problems because T2? Is it just those of us “well controlled” are so rare? who sticks with a doctor they aren’t really fond of because it’s convenient? <end rant>

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
I put up with a doctor for a couple years that I didn't really like and it turns out my care was lacking ( I was a T1 versus a T2 and had gotten a misdiagnosis) The best thing I ever did was switch doctors. I ended up with an internist I loved and I was properly diagnosed. Then I moved and decided if I didn't like them it wasn't worth having a doctor I didn't like.

It turns out I really like my doctors I have now too, I was a little unsure at the first visit for my new GP/internist. She kept pushing for me to take a statin even though my LDL is low, my HDL is high and my Trig are low because "every diabetic should be on one". I finally said if it's going to be a problem I can switch doctors if she prefers and she backed off right away. We came to an understanding I know she is going to ask each time and she knows I am going to say no. :) She has been a go getter, even to the point of calling the visiting endo directly to get me into her in days because she knew nothing about insulin pumps and I had one.

The only problem with switching, which I really believe if you don't like your doctor you should do, is when you switch you still don't know what you will get either. So personally only switch if you think you are lacking care and /or you really just don't like them. You might wait for a few visits to decide.

Reactions: Robinredbreast

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Interesting that your doctor wanted to discuss a statin before even seeing your panel results. Asking for x-rays without symptoms that ends up costing you seems to me to paint a picture of a doctor who dictates, not discusses. That's a red flag for me @Walking Girl

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I put up with a doctor for a couple years that I didn't really like and it turns out my care was lacking ( I was a T1 versus a T2 and had gotten a misdiagnosis) The best thing I ever did was switch doctors. I ended up with an internist I loved and I was properly diagnosed. Then I moved and decided if I didn't like them it wasn't worth having a doctor I didn't like.

It turns out I really like my doctors I have now too, I was a little unsure at the first visit for my new GP/internist. She kept pushing for me to take a statin even though my LDL is low, my HDL is high and my Trig are low because "every diabetic should be on one". I finally said if it's going to be a problem I can switch doctors if she prefers and she backed off right away. We came to an understanding I know she is going to ask each time and she knows I am going to say no. :) She has been a go getter, even to the point of calling the visiting endo directly to get me into her in days because she knew nothing about insulin pumps and I had one.

The only problem with switching, which I really believe if you don't like your doctor you should do, is when you switch you still don't know what you will get either. So personally only switch if you think you are lacking care and /or you really just don't like them. You might wait for a few visits to decide.
I’ve often thought about changing as my GP surgery is not the best however I’ve now found a good GP there so have decided to stay for the time being - plus the alternative practices within my area have problems too!
Re statins I was prescribed them at my first diabetic review because ‘every diabetic should be on one’ but soon came off them because, as well as other side effects, it raised my hba1c from 48 to 54. My GP has now annotated my records as ‘Statin intolerant’ as we don’t want to risk it happening again.

Reactions: ickihun and Marie 2