Covid 19 - are we in high risk?

Ames37

So just been diagnosed t2, so my sugars are not yet under control as I don’t have my first appointment with docs till Tues and diabetic nurse a week on Thurs. I have started low carb and low sugar but it will take a while to get them under control. Does this mean that I will be in the at risk group and have to self isolate?? Maybe nobody knows but thought I would ask!

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
So just been diagnosed t2, so my sugars are not yet under control as I don’t have my first appointment with docs till Tues and diabetic nurse a week on Thurs. I have started low carb and low sugar but it will take a while to get them under control. Does this mean that I will be in the at risk group and have to self isolate?? Maybe nobody knows but thought I would ask!

Hi Ames37,

From my simplistic understanding of this virus, having high blood sugars will increase the risk a LITTLE. But if you don't have other diabetes complications then you'll probably be ok.

Try to put everything in perspective, this virus does not discriminate on the grounds of race, creed or colour. From the statistics alone, it dislikes people over 60 and it seems to favour women and children so it's (probably) not as bad for you as it is for some us.

Try not to worry about it unduly but in terms of self isolation, everybody is at risk to some degree so it's your call. My approach to it is to think I may already have it and try not to give it to others.

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/th...ity-with-diabetes.171962/page-38#post-2232802

Last edited:

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Just being pedantic here, but sugar is a carbohydrate - the starches and sugars together - and there are some oddities like sugar alcohols and also fibre - things we don't digest but others can break down - all are carbs.
Eating a low carb diet is very effective for lowering blood glucose, so I don't think we have all that much to be concerned about if we 'just' need to deal with type two and no other problems - particularly to do with breathing - then we are no more likely to keel over than the next person.

Captain Crunch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’m not really concerned about the virus to be honest, it’s more if I’m told to self isolate!
Indeed. I'm also concerned about the current hoarding mentality of fellow shoppers. As diabetics (particularly T2), our food choices are somewhat limited so to find so many regular purchases missing from the shelves is a big concern.

Reactions: HelenHak and Ames37

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Today's initiative in Australia ... to beat off the hoarding brawling ferals, two supermarket chains in my state will NOT allow anyone other than the elderly to enter for the first hour of trading. VERY very clever idea. Watch the country follow that !!

D

Deleted member 308541

Today's initiative in Australia ... to beat off the hoarding brawling ferals, two supermarket chains in my state will NOT allow anyone other than the elderly to enter for the first hour of trading. VERY very clever idea. Watch the country follow that !!
It was announced here in Queensland today as well...

Reactions: jjraak and Ames37
D

Deleted member 308541

As diabetics (particularly T2), our food choices are somewhat limited so to find so many regular purchases missing from the shelves is a big concern.
We had no problems last online shop two weeks ago, except for toilet paper etc..

I think this online shop on Thursday will be different though...

Reactions: jjraak and Ames37

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am 80 and have T2 so obviously in the at risk group but on the plus side apart from the T2 I am in good health with no other medical conditions so at the moment I am not to worried. I am not a strict low carber just moderate so not to worried about food and will get what I can We will be living on the war time diet if things get worse and everything will be rationed but at least people would not be able to stockpile that way. I will stop going on the bus into town but I will miss my browse around the shops. I do not look forward to being in isolation if that comes about I do have a dog to walk everyday she will not go with anyone else so I will just avoid coming to close to people when we are out. We live in a village with only 3 shops a co-op, a chemist and a post office so it is not really a busy area during the day with pedestrians .Most people are out at work at the time I usually walk the dog

Reactions: Marie 2

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Trying not to speculate but how many over 70s are there in England alone and how are they going to confine us all to barracks?!!
Carol

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Transport secretary Grant Shapps clarifies that older people who self-isolate will still be able to get out of the house. "I told my Mum 'you can still walk the dog' and she said she didn't have one," he explains, bafflingly.
@BBCr4today

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Trying not to speculate but how many over 70s are there in England alone and how are they going to confine us all to barracks?!!
Carol

Don't you have a census @carty ?

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon

They are doing that in town where I live... first few hrs of trading I believe. It's a great idea in view of all the selfish people who have been whipped into a panic by the media pumping out fear in such a ridiculous manner.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
They are doing that in town where I live... first few hrs of trading I believe. It's a great idea in view of all the selfish people who have been whipped into a panic by the media pumping out fear in such a ridiculous manner.

Yep. They're now all in on it. One chain has said they'll take requests for elderly needs and have them ready for each person anytime of the day. Won't mean much to UK members, but this was a originally an IGA initiative in Altona VIC

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Under discussion for the UK too. Good idea.

Lilylala

If we all end up in self isolation in all the affected countries their hospitals in 9 months time will have a baby boom on their hands:dummy::dummy1:

Reactions: DJC3
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
COVID-19 isn't fussy who it infects, whether you have medical conditions or not, aged 49 or 89, or those in between.
Life, as I see it, for now, is a lottery.