1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Covid 19 - are we in high risk?

Discussion in 'Newly Diagnosed' started by Ames37, Mar 15, 2020.

1. Ames37

Ames37 · Member

So just been diagnosed t2, so my sugars are not yet under control as I don’t have my first appointment with docs till Tues and diabetic nurse a week on Thurs. I have started low carb and low sugar but it will take a while to get them under control. Does this mean that I will be in the at risk group and have to self isolate?? Maybe nobody knows but thought I would ask!

2. urbanracer

urbanracer Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

Hi Ames37,

From my simplistic understanding of this virus, having high blood sugars will increase the risk a LITTLE. But if you don't have other diabetes complications then you'll probably be ok.

Try to put everything in perspective, this virus does not discriminate on the grounds of race, creed or colour. From the statistics alone, it dislikes people over 60 and it seems to favour women and children so it's (probably) not as bad for you as it is for some us.

Try not to worry about it unduly but in terms of self isolation, everybody is at risk to some degree so it's your call. My approach to it is to think I may already have it and try not to give it to others.

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/th...ity-with-diabetes.171962/page-38#post-2232802

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 2
    #2 urbanracer, Mar 15, 2020 at 5:31 PM
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2020
  3. Ames37

Ames37 · Member

I’m not really concerned about the virus to be honest, it’s more if I’m told to self isolate!

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Resurgam

Resurgam Type 2 (in remission!) · Expert

Just being pedantic here, but sugar is a carbohydrate - the starches and sugars together - and there are some oddities like sugar alcohols and also fibre - things we don't digest but others can break down - all are carbs.
    Eating a low carb diet is very effective for lowering blood glucose, so I don't think we have all that much to be concerned about if we 'just' need to deal with type two and no other problems - particularly to do with breathing - then we are no more likely to keel over than the next person.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Captain Crunch

Captain Crunch Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Indeed. I'm also concerned about the current hoarding mentality of fellow shoppers. As diabetics (particularly T2), our food choices are somewhat limited so to find so many regular purchases missing from the shelves is a big concern.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. Mike d

Mike d Type 2 · Expert

Today's initiative in Australia ... to beat off the hoarding brawling ferals, two supermarket chains in my state will NOT allow anyone other than the elderly to enter for the first hour of trading. VERY very clever idea. Watch the country follow that !!

• Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Tipetoo

Tipetoo Type 2 · Expert

It was announced here in Queensland today as well...

• Like Like x 2
  8. Tipetoo

Tipetoo Type 2 · Expert

We had no problems last online shop two weeks ago, except for toilet paper etc..

I think this online shop on Thursday will be different though...

• Like Like x 2
  9. carty

carty Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Yep I may drive myself crazy and my poor husband crazier
    Carol

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. Pinkorchid

Pinkorchid Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I am 80 and have T2 so obviously in the at risk group but on the plus side apart from the T2 I am in good health with no other medical conditions so at the moment I am not to worried. I am not a strict low carber just moderate so not to worried about food and will get what I can We will be living on the war time diet if things get worse and everything will be rationed but at least people would not be able to stockpile that way. I will stop going on the bus into town but I will miss my browse around the shops. I do not look forward to being in isolation if that comes about I do have a dog to walk everyday she will not go with anyone else so I will just avoid coming to close to people when we are out. We live in a village with only 3 shops a co-op, a chemist and a post office so it is not really a busy area during the day with pedestrians .Most people are out at work at the time I usually walk the dog

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. carty

carty Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Trying not to speculate but how many over 70s are there in England alone and how are they going to confine us all to barracks?!!
    Carol

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. Mr_Pot

Mr_Pot Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Transport secretary Grant Shapps clarifies that older people who self-isolate will still be able to get out of the house. "I told my Mum 'you can still walk the dog' and she said she didn't have one," he explains, bafflingly.
    @BBCr4today

• Funny Funny x 2
  13. Mike d

Mike d Type 2 · Expert

Don't you have a census @carty ?

14. Tophat1900

Tophat1900 Type 3c · Well-Known Member

They are doing that in town where I live... first few hrs of trading I believe. It's a great idea in view of all the selfish people who have been whipped into a panic by the media pumping out fear in such a ridiculous manner.

15. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

16. Mike d

Mike d Type 2 · Expert

Yep. They're now all in on it. One chain has said they'll take requests for elderly needs and have them ready for each person anytime of the day. Won't mean much to UK members, but this was a originally an IGA initiative in Altona VIC

• Like Like x 2
  17. Oldvatr

Oldvatr Type 2 · Expert

Under discussion for the UK too. Good idea.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Lilylala

Lilylala · Well-Known Member

If we all end up in self isolation in all the affected countries their hospitals in 9 months time will have a baby boom on their hands:dummy::dummy1:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Robinredbreast

Robinredbreast Type 1 · Oracle

COVID-19 isn't fussy who it infects, whether you have medical conditions or not, aged 49 or 89, or those in between.
    Life, as I see it, for now, is a lottery.

20. LooperCat

LooperCat Type 1 · Expert

In 2033 when they turn 13, we’ll have the QUARANTEENS :D

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Hug Hug x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook