In praise of all the delivery drivers, pickers, truck drivers, and anyone working to supply us

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So many of us with diabetes are going to be relying heavily on these people in the weeks and months to come.

I just wanted to express my gratitude to them all.
And I intend to give every single one of them a heartfelt 'Thank you!' every opportunity I can.

Delivering must be one of the only growth industries in the UK at the moment, and most are on minimum wage and/or zero hours, and they usually work long and hard at antisocial hours. So if you know someone doing one of these jobs, please pass on my sincere gratitude?

Edited to add:
I want to add a special mention for bin men! (For the non-Brits that means refuse collectors)
Our local council are actively recruiting fit, active people able to walk 20,000+ steps a day, and/or able to drive the trucks. They can clearly foresee a time when the only way to keep the service going is with staff they bring on board now.

Know anyone who fits that description and needs work? I expect every local council is in the same boat...

Last edited:

Muneeb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Its times like this where we need to be helping each other out as a human race.

Being a production manager at a flour mill that supplies the largest bread manufacturers and supermarkets across the country. I really haven't had a choice not to work. Obviously I've taken a lot of precautions with the whole site and workforce, but it is extremely challenging. As everyone is aware the demand is just overwhelming.

I'm hoping we can curtail it as quick as possible. But there a lot of people as you said going above and beyond what they should be just to keep things going. So well done to everyone!

Reactions: Wayward Blood

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Its times like this where we need to be helping each other out as a human race.

Totally agree with you. BUT their are way too many self centered heartless people in this world to help out. Just take a look at our supermarkets and the lack of stock

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Totally agree with you. BUT their are way too many self centered heartless people in this world to help out. Just take a look at our supermarkets and the lack of stock
And it's so hard when you are shopping for 2 or more households.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
I just wanted to express my gratitude to them all.

I have been going to the local co-op at 07:00, not complete isolation, not foolproof, but I can keep my distance and shower as soon as I get home. I know all the staff quite well and was having a natter to one who was behind the deli counter therefore well over 6 ft away, and he was telling me that several of the staff had been verbally abused because of empty shelves and restrictions on the number of items. A couple of the younger ladies had been brought to tears.

I put something on our local community Facebook page saying it would be much nicer if we thanked the staff for turning up to work in an effort to keep the shop open. Thirty comments and 200 likes/hearts/acknowledgements, I'll see tomorrow if any of the staff have had a thank you.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I was thinking getting work as a delivery driver, provided there was no need to get people to sign for the delivery or take cash may be lower risk then many jobs.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
A lot of the supermarkets are desperate for temporary staff at the moment including delivery drivers.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I have been going to the local co-op at 07:00, not complete isolation, not foolproof, but I can keep my distance and shower as soon as I get home. I know all the staff quite well and was having a natter to one who was behind the deli counter therefore well over 6 ft away, and he was telling me that several of the staff had been verbally abused because of empty shelves and restrictions on the number of items. A couple of the younger ladies had been brought to tears.

I put something on our local community Facebook page saying it would be much nicer if we thanked the staff for turning up to work in an effort to keep the shop open. Thirty comments and 200 likes/hearts/acknowledgements, I'll see tomorrow if any of the staff have had a thank you.
If you had gone to our co-op at seven this morning you would have been trampled by the hoard of panic buyers by seven thirty the shelves were empty .

Edit to add I forgot to say I totally agree with the OP they do deserve are heartfelt thanks.

Last edited:

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
@Brunneria

Thank you for starting this thread. Some of the lorry drivers where my husband works are being moved over to a supermarket delivery contract (he works for a distribution company) - and many of them are reporting back to Mr C that the supermarkets aren't letting them use their facilities to wash their hands or let them have hand gel and, of course, they've also had to wait outside in the cold until their delivery slots so I'm sure that they will appreciate the sentiments of this thread.

Its very strange here today... almost like 7am on a Sunday morning - no buses, only dog walkers out walking, little traffic (most cars are in driveways).

I have very thoughtful neighbours - I've now had three different neighbours ring me to ask if there is anything they can do to help when I go in to this 12 weeks social isolation . Someone has started a social media group for people in this road where people can offer or ask for help.

Stay safe everyone.

Reactions: Brunneria

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I have seen reports on social media that lorry drivers have been unable to get any thing at McDonald's as they are now drive through only I know we generally don't frequent such places but if you happen to see such a thing it might be nice to maybe drive through for them as most lorries won't be able to.

D

Deleted member 308541

The pharmacies delivery driver had a face mask on when she came yesterday, she said that I did not have to sign for my scripts as they have to keep contact to a minimum.

Woolies online shopping driver will not be here to later on this afternoon hopefully, but the store has warned it may be tomorrow sometime.

Both people are great, and we can't thank them enough for our getting our shopping deliveries here.

xenomorph2020

agreed
over this period the people in shops and delivery drivers and hospital workers will be the most important jobs and people and so we need to make sure we dont cause them more trouble in doing their jobs

Redvee

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I'm one of those in the supermarket warehouse picking the orders for the stores, it's been bedlam with the amount of perishable stock needing to be picked has increased this week. The biggest issue across the industry has been getting the volumes of stock to the stores, the stock is in the warehouses being picked.
Today the amount of different yoghurt type products were noticeable by the reduced amounts I saw.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Another thanks to @Brunneria for starting this thread - I've been thinking about all those behind the scenes "invisible" people who are working to keep the rest of us safe, fed and watered, I've seen little about just how they're supposed to keep working while there's so much being discussed regarding everyone avoiding contact, etc. The least we can do is be grateful for their dedication.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I also think we should offer our support and thanks to the health care workers and support staff of the NHS especially in the light of the growing level of abuse that doctors and nurses are being subjected to being shouted at and being called disease spreaders and spat at in the street and at work in such places as hospital A&E departments .

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow! Yes delivery drivers, they are doing an awesome job.

Yesterday would have been my mum's 102nd birthday, she died 24 years ago. I used to buy her a lemon cake every year. Every year since she died my son has bought me a lemon cake on her birthday just to mark the date and give me happy memories of when she was still with us.

Yesterday morning I said to my hubby (well shouted lol because we are still self isolating.) that we wouldn't be getting a cake this year. Then in the afternoon there was a knock at the door and a parcel on the doorstep containing a cake from www.sponge.co.uk. It certainly raised our morale ( Hubby will be having most of it because I don't want it to raise my BGs and weight as well!)

A lovely, silly little thought with a huge positive effect.

Thank you delivery drivers everywhere you make life more bearable all the time but especially now.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
containing a cake from www.sponge.co.uk. It certainly raised our morale ( Hubby will be having most of it because I don't want it to raise my BGs and weight as well!)

This is the first post I read this morning and it's a lovely one, a reminder that small, thoughtful gestures do so much to raise our morale. x

Reactions: Robinredbreast
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Also to all the wonderful people out there who are now volunteering to help others and going that extra mile :happy:

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
And thanks to the Asda driver who risked his job posting on face book.

It seems people are not only stockpiling in the stores but they have been reserving multiple delivery slots by placing multiple orders for single items online thus reserving loads of delivery slots then cancelling the orders at the last moment.

This means drivers are going out with half loads on their vans because of the last minute cancellations.

Edit to add :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead: