Self Isolating or Social Distancing?

learning2me

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am type 2 and at the moment my HbA1c is higher than normal as my mother died just before Christmas, which obviously raised my stress levels.
Almost 5 years ago, I had Bilateral Pulmonary Embolisms, but this is not classed as a vulnerability, though I easily get breathless, according to my DN.

My first question is regarding grandchildren following school closures. My son is asking if I can help with childcare for my 3 year old grandson?
According to some government and NHS guidelines, being diabetic makes you vulnerable and you should be self isolating, but is this all diabetics?
Should I be self isolating or social distancing?

I think that the advice is open to interpretation.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
First question, do you have the energy to look afte a 3 year old all day?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Since the government are specifically asking that children are not left with the elderly, I wouldn’t hesitate to say no. Actually I am quite surprised that your son is asking, although I do appreciate how tricky it can be to find childcare, especially at short notice.

in view of your health, raised blood glucose, and diabetes, I would like to discourage you from looking after your grandchild. It will always be your decision, but please don’t put yourself at risk, and take every precaution to prevent exposure to the coronavirus. That means not letting people visit you, staying at home, except for necessary supply trips, and not spending time in the presence of potentially infectious family.

learning2me

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
First question, do you have the energy to look afte a 3 year old all day?
Certainly not all day every day. But this is part of the problem. He will spend some time at home with parents, and some time with a friend of my DIL, and with me for potentially two days. This surely gives more opportunity to spread the infection?

learning2me

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Since the government are specifically asking that children are not left with the elderly, I wouldn’t hesitate to say no. Actually I am quite surprised that your son is asking, although I do appreciate how tricky it can be to find childcare, especially at short notice.

in view of your health, raised blood glucose, and diabetes, I would like to discourage you from looking after your grandchild. It will always be your decision, but please don’t put yourself at risk, and take every precaution to prevent exposure to the coronavirus. That means not letting people visit you, staying at home, except for necessary supply trips, and not spending time in the presence of potentially infectious family.
Thank you so much for your reply. I really wish that my son had not put me in this position, because I feel as though I'm between a rock and a hard place.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I would agree with @Brunneria. Your grandchild is not being isolated between his parents and you. He is in contact with many people, this puts you at risk. If you caught covid19, could your son live with that?

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Certainly not all day every day. But this is part of the problem. He will spend some time at home with parents, and some time with a friend of my DIL, and with me for potentially two days. This surely gives more opportunity to spread the infection?
I would refuse. Having the child go from person to person will spread the risk of infection.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The advice seems to be that in your situation you self isolate and I am sure your son will think this through and reconsider his unfair request. He or the DIL may just have to take holiday leave unless he or your DIL are key workers.
When the emergency has passed you can offer your help then. Many many families will be in the same situation and employers are aware of the impossible choices faced by them. Keeping you well and caring for their child has to be more important.

Reactions: learning2me

learning2me

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks everyone - I have said no.
I'm now hoping that more people will take this seriously

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks everyone - I have said no.
I'm now hoping that more people will take this seriously
I am in a similar situation and have said No but it wasn't taken well. I feel pressured to change my mind. They seem to think I am invincible. I agree with all the comments above but it's so hard when you are the one in this position. Well done for standing firm.
One son told me 3 weeks ago that he didn't want to see me for a very long time because he wants me to stay safe, the other wants me to continue looking after his toddler one or two days a week when I am through my current 14 days isolation period. :banghead:

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I am in a similar situation and have said No but it wasn't taken well. I feel pressured to change my mind. They seem to think I am invincible. I agree with all the comments above but it's so hard when you are the one in this position. Well done for standing firm.
One son told me 3 weeks ago that he didn't want to see me for a very long time because he wants me to stay safe, the other wants me to continue looking after his toddler one or two days a week when I am through my current 14 days isolation period. :banghead:

This isn't just about keeping yourself safe, or about if things turned out for the worse you died, also if any of us end up in hospital we are adding to the strain on services. A shortage of essential equipment and staff put others at risk too.

Sorry if this is too blunt, but I think your son is being very selfish. The government specifically told parents not to ask grandparents to look after children, for very good reasons.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This isn't just about keeping yourself safe, or about if things turned out for the worse you died, also if any of us end up in hospital we are adding to the strain on services. A shortage of essential equipment and staff put others at risk too.

Sorry if this is too blunt, but I think your son is being very selfish. The government specifically told parents not to ask grandparents to look after children, for very good reasons.
Yes I agree totally with your post.

Please note I am self isolating because I have been in contact with someone who has been in contact with someone whose partner has the virus. That's more than is actually being asked of me as I am one step further removed from the person who is at risk but I would hate to be incubating it and passing it on.

Last edited:

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes I agree totally with your post.

Please note I am self isolating because I have been in contact with someone who has been in contact with someone whose partner has the virus. That's more than is actually being asked of me as I am one step further removed from the person who is at risk but I would hate to be incubating it and passing it on. I don't need a lecture on how to behave.
Please calm down. You are not being lectured. Let's be kind to each other.

Reactions: JohnEGreen and zand

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Grandson decided as he has sore throat to stay where he is instead of coming home this weekend I told him sore throat not on the list of first symptoms but he thinks it safer for me trouble is now he is on his own in student accommodation and unwell.

And I feel bad about that.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Grandson decided as he has sore throat to stay where he is instead of coming home this weekend I told him sore throat not on the list of first symptoms but he thinks it safer for me trouble is now he is on his own in student accommodation and unwell.

And I feel bad about that.
sore throat can be a symptom : (((

Broomthebeast

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So it is but not listed or mentioned by the NHS who only mention fever and persistent cough stupidly I had not looked elsewhere.

Now I have looked I found this.

https://www.falmouthpacket.co.uk/news/18314422.coronavirus-covid-19-symptoms-begin-sore-throat/

Always check the WHO:
'The most common symptoms of COVID-19 are fever, tiredness, and dry cough. Some patients may have aches and pains, nasal congestion, runny nose, sore throat or diarrhea. These symptoms are usually mild and begin gradually. Some people become infected but don’t develop any symptoms and don't feel unwell'

https://www.who.int/news-room/q-a-detail/q-a-coronaviruses

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I would say no, unless your 3 year old grandson was comming to live with you and not having contact with anyone else.