Underlying health issues but management want me to stand close to patients! help

Kertom

I have underlying health issues ( diabetes ) so the government says keep a distance between other people but where do I stand at work ...I work in a hospital and I’ve been told to ask patients questions as they enter and take temperatures which puts me in very close proximity to them. I usually work behind a desk which is quiet deep a large distance between patients that I am happy with. I’ve now refused to take the temperature and asked to stay behind the desk because of the close proximity and the government guidelines on the diabetes website it says stay at least 1 metre away from other people ...I’ve been told by management if I don’t take the temperature I will face a disciplinary I explained I was following the guidelines laid down by the government and they said I was no more at risk behind the desk than I was close to the customer ..what shall I do when I go to work on Tuesday
confused_smile.gif
do you think I’m right in what I’ve said ?

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Do you have a union rep you can ask to intercede for you if in your position I would be hesitant to comply with your managements request.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Everybody is being asked to maintain social distancing, for diabetics it's "stringent social distancing."

Print off the guidance from the gov website and show it to your employer?

Jan30012016

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It's all very confusing.
The news now states 12 weeks isolation for underlying health conditions but does this mean us with Diabetes? I'm unsure.
We should receive letters from our gps if this is the case.

Reactions: jjraak

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's all very confusing.
The news now states 12 weeks isolation for underlying health conditions but does this mean us with Diabetes? I'm unsure.
We should receive letters from our gps if this is the case.
Not quite
most underlying conditions (including diabetes) fall into the strongly advised to socially distanced as much as possible rather than isolate.
https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...protecting-older-people-and-vulnerable-adults

more serious (cancer/transplant/cystic fibrosis plus others) are the 12 weeks isolate after being contacted this coming week

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
I was no more at risk behind the desk than I was close to the customer

Quite clearly wrong and this is management in a private hospital is it.

This is a government website with advise for employers and employees. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/guidance-to-employers-and-businesses-about-covid-19

I think they've been crafty in their wording 'if possible' stands out like a saw thumb whenever there is some advise like work from home.

I'm sorry that you have been put in an awkward position by your management who clearly need to learn a lesson or two. Threatening a disciplinary is nothing but bullying and plain out of order.

Shame there isn't a way to name and shame, without getting yourself into trouble. Maybe your local MP would be interested. The fact that a person can have the virus without knowing for several days and I've seen anything from 2 days to 14 days, means that your management are willing to put someone who is possibly ill, in contact with your customers/patients (whatever) which is not good. Even taking temperatures is basically something that needs doing in a clinical setting. Can you ask for a HazMat suit?

You are right and being sensible, your management are being a bunch of $£&*)(&!

Sneezing powder might have you sent home before you can say jack robinson. That way, they will have sent you home. We can all play silly whatsits and they started it.

Good Luck, stay safe.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
You are right and being sensible, your management are being a bunch of $£&*)(&!

Sneezing powder might have you sent home before you can say jack robinson. That way, they will have sent you home. We can all play silly whatsits and they started it.

Good Luck, stay safe.

Hear hear :)

Reactions: Fairygodmother
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
No there’s no union rep it’s a private hospital

In a well known shop, there were lines of red tape to stand behind, over the intercom a staff member said this was to protect ourselves and other customers, very sensible.
Your employers could be putting you at risk and seem indifferent to your concerns and your well being, take care and stay safe.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Isn’t it difficult when we find ourselves having, yes having to step out of the old hierarchical systems and make independent, informed decisions.
Staying home because you feel unwell is the less stressful option if you don’t feel worried about doing that; taking some gaffer tape to work to put your own safe space maker down, and asking that those with masks and gloves on take temperatures is sensible; being prepared to calmly stand up to anyone who challenges your actions may help to protect anyone else who does the same job as you.

Kertom

Thankyou you have made me feel less guilty ..I think I’m going to be off with stress rather than anything else the way this is going ......

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
No there’s no union rep it’s a private hospital

This is tongue in cheek and not meant to criticise the work done at private hospitals.

This is what they think in an NHS hospital and unless they want you to be properly kitted out with all the correct equipment, management had better think very carefully about their advice to staff. Litigation would hurt them financially.

stayhome for us.jpg

Reactions: JohnEGreen