Type 1 Getting food whilst quarantinig

MrBen

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello all
So just a quick question.
As a 44yr old type 1 diabetic - I have always made sure I have a stash of food. Reckon I have a months supply built up before panic buying started.
A week ago I was of the opinion - that as my diabetes is well controlled - I would be fine if I got COVID-19. However I have reviewed that and am now of the view that ultimately it could be the end of me.
I am being ridiculously careful as a result. This is kinda funny as I read an article from a young lady in the US who is self isolating. I remember thinking at that time "Seriously?". However I now am in the same place.
My concern is I do not have anyone locally who can get me provisions. I am worried as I may need to venture into a supermarket to get stuff - this I would view as being high risk and would completely invalidate all of the sacrifices I am making to stay safe.
Can't book a delivery for love nor money.
Any helpful advice would be appreciated.
Thank you
Ben

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@MrBen. So what has changed in the past week?
Why do you now feel that covid19 poses much more of a threat?

Reactions: Diakat

edan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Try at midnight as the new slots become available then for some companies. Are there any small local shops that might deliver? Or can you get meat from musclefood or similar? I’m in the same situation and have booked a milkman and a local veg delivery box.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Infections? Restrictions? Fatalities? Just a wild guess
Media scaremongering, conflicting reports from every source including the information from the lady next door who’s cat has had a cough, constant fatality figures but far fewer recovery figures, information on how ill you will be when you become infected but far less on how the vast majority will not feel so ill.
Like yourself, a lot of people in the world are having a wild guess and posting worse case scenarios because that’s what sells.

Reactions: LooperCat

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Media scaremongering, conflicting reports from every source including the information from the lady next door who’s cat has had a cough, constant fatality figures but far fewer recovery figures, information on how ill you will be when you become infected but far less on how the vast majority will not feel so ill.
Like yourself, a lot of people in the world are having a wild guess and posting worse case scenarios because that’s what sells.
Or they are doing what they’ve been told to do and reduce interactions as much as they can to slow the rate of infection and simply trying to work out ways in which to achieve this. Hoping not to bump into people not taking it very seriously at all.

Broomthebeast

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello all
So just a quick question.
As a 44yr old type 1 diabetic - I have always made sure I have a stash of food. Reckon I have a months supply built up before panic buying started.
A week ago I was of the opinion - that as my diabetes is well controlled - I would be fine if I got COVID-19. However I have reviewed that and am now of the view that ultimately it could be the end of me.
I am being ridiculously careful as a result. This is kinda funny as I read an article from a young lady in the US who is self isolating. I remember thinking at that time "Seriously?". However I now am in the same place.
My concern is I do not have anyone locally who can get me provisions. I am worried as I may need to venture into a supermarket to get stuff - this I would view as being high risk and would completely invalidate all of the sacrifices I am making to stay safe.
Can't book a delivery for love nor money.
Any helpful advice would be appreciated.
Thank you
Ben

This! https://freedomnews.org.uk/covid-19-uk-mutual-aid-groups-a-list/

poemagraphic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
WIFI, Mobile phones. Smart metres... in fact anything 'smart'
How wrong you are... the numbers are based on facts... watch the numbers rise over the next couple weeks.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
How wrong you are... the numbers are based on facts... watch the numbers rise over the next couple weeks.

You completely lost the point by not reading the thread and in the context of the person to whom I was replying. That's exactly what I was saying :rolleyes:

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Let’s not derail this thread.
I believe what I believe to be true and you guys are free to do the same.
My post #2 was a civil question. It didn’t require one of @Mike D ‘s usual replies.

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm having the same dilemma, except whiIe I do have my parents nearby, my mum is considered very high risk. So sending my dad to the shops is not an option. There are lots of local groups on facebook full of people offering to assist those self-isolating, are you able to book a click and collect slot and you could enlist the services of a helpful soul who could collect it? Alternatively I believe there are nationwide milk delivery companies, I dare say they offer more than just milk, worth a try? I've also seen plenty of places near me advertising deliveries (greengrocers, butchers, bakeries etc), try facebook (the local groups full of people offering assistance might be your best bet). Might be a bit time consuming exploring the options but hopefully you can find somebody willing to assist, whether that's a neighbour or a local business

MrBen

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am not wild guessing anything. My reality is I get bad chest infections commonly with colds. Have needed hospital treatment before. Chances are I will be f****** if I get it. The way things are heading there will not be capacity in hospitals - that may be when things get worse.
I almost think it would be good to get it now whilst there are some resources. Oh but hang on, I might die, so maybe not. But you think I will be ok, so maybe. Let me think. Hmmm. This is tough one. Think I will sit on my own at home and weigh up the pros and cons.
All that is happening is not through media scare stories (ok maybe the panic buying is a bit!). The reality is the virus is spreading, and those of age and underlying health issues are a lot more likely to experience difficulties.

MrBen

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
In part. But enough to make me care about the fact that I do not want to die or get lung scarring (given that I am type 1 with a history of asthma and chest infections through colds) by not giving a ****. This is not a conspiracy mate. If I am not careful I might get ill. If I am careful I won't get ill.
Personally I would give up cycling for a month or two if it was very icy.

Reactions: Oldvatr

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Try at midnight as the new slots become available then for some companies. .
However that doesn't help much when many new slots are now often only available in several weeks time. People are now clued up to the need for booking several weeks ahead.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
In part. But enough to make me care about the fact that I do not want to die or get lung scarring (given that I am type 1 with a history of asthma and chest infections through colds) by not giving a ****. This is not a conspiracy mate. If I am not careful I might get ill. If I am careful I won't get ill.

@MrBen ... Please look to whom I directed my comment. It was NOT to you.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@MrBen . In your initial post you clearly state that at one point you was feeling fairly comfortable with the position you was in but now you feel differently. I merely asked what had changed in the last week to change and increase your fears.
The fact that others jumped in and tried to make me look incompetent or stupid really isn’t the issue between us two.
Perhaps next time you could inform people trying to help about the underlying health issues you have.
I’ll leave the thread now.

Reactions: kev-w and LooperCat

edan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
However that doesn't help much when many new slots are now often only available in several weeks time. People are now clued up to the need for booking several weeks ahead.

The OP has a months supply of food so getting a slot in 3-4 weeks time is perfect.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people

Hi, I think most of us are sensible and level headed in our ways of coping and 'doing the right thing' in these dark fractious times.. I worked two jobs, one job the decision was taken by the company not to carry on until further notice, my other job working with SEN children, it was my own choice to carry on up until Friday, but that has been taken out of my hands now anyway. I did have worries, mainly because of being critically ill in 2018, but I vowed to carry on until I was either told not to or things were going to be virtually shut down. I'm glad I carried on, even though I am over 60, I feel fit and well and I sincerely hope it stays that way.
ps my son has Sarcoidosis and my daughter of 19, who works in a nursery has Costochondritis, they were both working, but are not working now due to their employers decision.
Good luck.

ArtemisBow

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If click and collect is a possibility then at least you’d minimise contact? Also many supermarkets have now devoted first hour of trading to elderly/vulnerable so if you have to go aim for then as you will minimise contact and anyone else in the shop is likely to be keeping isolated the rest of the time.

Reactions: Struma