Type 2 why not self isolate??

swan45

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I see now that the specifics of who can self isolate are now given . So diabetes 1 is now to isolate. Diabetes 2 is to self distance. Hahaha what a joke.. i cannot distance i work in a supermarket. I work on the till. I handle cash of course. I am in my late 50s and have smoked in the past and not fit and have to have a flu jab yearly. So i know i would suffer severley if i got the virus knowing the symptoms one gets and it basically can cause your organs to fail if you are diabetic. So as there is no cure in sight outlook is grim if type 2 people get it. I have taken a couple of weeks holiday from my next years holday period to give me some isolation from it. Once thats over what am i supposed to do.? Get out there and work amongst people and hope i dont get i suppose. We are not even at the worst part of the outbreak yet so its said to be worse to come. So it could be a virus here to stay if they don't find a cure. So basically the government with respect to who should or not isolate depending on thier risk assessment choices are dealing us a grave card. Thanks .

Lemonie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
All diabetics have been advised to practice strict social distancing not isolation. No difference between T1 and T2.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I thought T1s were self isolating too?
All diabetics are “strongly advised” to follow “stringent social distancing” in the U.K. That’s different to “self isolation” which is complete quarantine/lockdown in your home. We can still go out, buy food, and work (when we can’t work from home or are key workers) - we’re just supposed to keep a 2m distance from other people where possible.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
All diabetics are “strongly advised” to follow “stringent social distancing” in the U.K.

OOps, sorry, I meant "social distancing". The terminology is easy to get wrong (for me anyway). :)

And on a brighter note, my daughter sent me this "where's wally the coronavirus edition".

wally-1.png

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
OOps, sorry, I meant "social distancing". The terminology is easy to get wrong (for me anyway). :)

And on a brighter note, my daughter sent me this "where's wally the coronavirus edition".

wally-1.png
We’re having to learn a lot of new jargon, aren’t we? I’ve done a fair bit of explaining the phrases we’re using in the U.K. to people today!

And if only that book was accurate. Sadly the beaches here have been heaving with people :(

Spoz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm not really familiar with type 2 specifics - is it an autoimmune condition or just hereditary?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I'm not really familiar with type 2 specifics - is it an autoimmune condition or just hereditary?

There are a few causes of type 2, type 1 is an autoimmune condition.

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
And just to complicate tings a little more it's not that uncommon for someone first diagnosed with t2 to find they're actually a T1, I'm maybe wrong but I once read Theresa May was at first diagnosed t2.

Reactions: Ceebee2

edan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Where is the information about type 1 isolating and type 2 distancing from?

swan45

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Where is the information about type 1 isolating and type 2 distancing from?
I heard it on tv now i am wondering if i did as no one can find the info on it ! I really am sure they definatley said about type 1 being in the 12 week isolation as they said type 1 in the higher risk catagory so maybe they got it wrong and therefore its not showing up. I just am fed up with it now and want it to go away but it wont. I am worrying about my job and catching it and money my family arghh. No more than we all are.

Danmiluk

Last edited:
M

Member496333

There is no distinction between types of diabetics for this we are all classed as the same...

Which in itself should be a red flag since the aetiology and myriad confounding factors that go along with metabolic syndrome means that conflating the two conditions is patently an erroneous oversimplification that renders the advice meaningless for the sake of neatness.

Even with regard to just the actual diabetes there are endless nuances and distinctions which bring about differences in overall morbidity risk. My avatar is watching anyone who thinks that type 1 and type 2 should be lumped together in this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: KK123

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Which in itself should be a red flag since the aetiology and myriad confounding factors that go along with metabolic syndrome means that conflating the two conditions is patently an erroneous oversimplification that renders the advice meaningless for the sake of neatness.

Even with regard to just the actual diabetes there are endless nuances and distinctions which bring about differences in overall morbidity risk. My avatar is watching anyone who thinks that type 1 and type 2 should be lumped together in this.

In English please :)

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
New I've no idea but is a diet-controlled T2 at the same risk as an insulin-dependent T1?
Or indeed T1s or T2s who are poorly controlled?

China did not publish this information for their deaths, so until there have been many more people dying in the west we will not know.

Age is clearly a large factor, and any other risk factors added to, old age increases the risk.