Any other Type 1 who are also Celiacs ?

GedMason

I was diagnosed with Type 1 at the age of 16. Im now 58.

I became Celiac about 12 years ago , is there any other Type 1s or 2s here with it also ?

Yes, me :). Diagnosed type 1 as a baby and coeliac at 16years.
For me, these conditions have become so normal I barely think about it.
How do you find it?

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Another one here, diagnosed with T1 when very young, and with coeliac many years later (though I think I was probably coeliac well before I was diagnoses - possibly about a decade at least). Once you have one auto-immune problem, its more likely you'll have more unfortunately :(

GedMason

Yes, me :). Diagnosed type 1 as a baby and coeliac at 16years.
For me, these conditions have become so normal I barely think about it.
How do you find it?
Thanks for your reply. Find it ok nowadays and yes its the norm now . when i first got celiac disease i found it difficult as i couldnt find that much around in the shops. But over time i saw much more stuff around. Though as you probably know its expensive. I remember my GP at the time saying being diabetic and also if any irish blood can make you more prone to get it No luck for me then

GedMason

Another one here, diagnosed with T1 when very young, and with coeliac many years later (though I think I was probably coeliac well before I was diagnoses - possibly about a decade at least). Once you have one auto-immune problem, its more likely you'll have more unfortunately :(
Yes mate thats true , think my celiac thing got underway quite sometime before me being diagnosed. just need one more now for the set

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi @GedMason, I have coeliac too, diagnosed 9 years ago, then 3 months later, diagnosed with Osteoporosis, which is related to coeliacc, type 1 since 1989.
I see you have had type 1 for over 40 years, that's a long time, so you must of seen lots of changes over the decades.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thanks for your reply. Find it ok nowadays and yes its the norm now . when i first got celiac disease i found it difficult as i couldnt find that much around in the shops. But over time i saw much more stuff around. Though as you probably know its expensive. I remember my GP at the time saying being diabetic and also if any irish blood can make you more prone to get it No luck for me then

Sometimes I work in a well known supermarket, as afood sampler/promoter and love talking to the customers. One gentleman had coeliac for many decades and remembers his mum taking the 'loaf of bread' out of a tin and he said it had a horrible taste :yuck:

Reactions: GedMason

GedMason

Hi @GedMason, I have coeliac too, diagnosed 9 years ago, then 3 months later, diagnosed with Osteoporosis, which is related to coeliacc, type 1 since 1989.
I see you have had type 1 for over 40 years, that's a long time, so you must of seen lots of changes over the decades.
Hi Robinredbreast

Blimey must have been abit of a shocker being diagnosed with osteoporosis also , you keepin ok with it all ? Yer when i became Type 1 i was a mixed dose of insulin , protamine zinc & soluble. In an old glass syringe. 1 injection a day.

Never had a blood glucose meter to test sugar levels until late 80s , weird lookin back as now its hard not to have one. I got changed over to humalog and lanctus glargine in 1989. Which im still on today, 4 injections a day. The freestyle libre sensor has really turned my blood sugar control around , so glad i was given the chance to have it

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi Robinredbreast

Blimey must have been abit of a shocker being diagnosed with osteoporosis also , you keepin ok with it all ? Yer when i became Type 1 i was a mixed dose of insulin , protamine zinc & soluble. In an old glass syringe. 1 injection a day.

Never had a blood glucose meter to test sugar levels until late 80s , weird lookin back as now its hard not to have one. I got changed over to humalog and lanctus glargine in 1989. Which im still on today, 4 injections a day. The freestyle libre sensor has really turned my blood sugar control around , so glad i was given the chance to have it

Hi, have you not been tested for Osteoporosis, because as soon as I was diagnosed with Coeliac my GP mentioned that it can affect the bones, so I had a bone scan in another town and have osteoporosis in my spine, arms and hips.
I was given a freestyle Libre last year, it is so beneficial and good to read you are doing well and long may it continue :)

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
My sister in law is not diabetic but she does have Celiac disease It came to light when she had esophageal cancer, she was told she must have been Celiac for decades.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
My sister in law is not diabetic but she does have Celiac disease It came to light when she had esophageal cancer, she was told she must have been Celiac for decades.

I had many symptoms when I was going through a very anxious time, it happened over months, so mine came on through great worry, but many people don't have any symptoms at all.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Over the years she had been diagnosed with pernicious anemia, ME and loads of other things but had never been tested for Celiac until she got the cancer and they started looking into everything.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Over the years she had been diagnosed with pernicious anemia, ME and loads of other things but had never been tested for Celiac until she got the cancer and they started looking into everything.

Did she recover well from the cancer, as it must of been a very scary time :( ?

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Yes she made a full recovery but it was a as you say scary. She of course now has to watch her diet we all met up a while ago at a national trust site we had a meal in the restaurant she was eating GF well as GF as she could get and I was eating LC well as low carb as I could get we had a bit of a laugh over it.

Edit to add it was a bit easier for her to get low gluton than I low carb but we both managed.

GedMason

Hi, have you not been tested for Osteoporosis, because as soon as I was diagnosed with Coeliac my GP mentioned that it can affect the bones, so I had a bone scan in another town and have osteoporosis in my spine, arms and hips.
I was given a freestyle Libre last year, it is so beneficial and good to read you are doing well and long may it continue :)
Yer i think i may ask my GP about being tested. Im glad the libre sensor is helping you also

Reactions: JohnEGreen