Cannot get groceries delivered

Dancegirl84

Type of diabetes
Type 2
On insulin and tabs but I cannot find any supermarket with delivery slots, so what happens when my mmol is 2?

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
On insulin and tabs but I cannot find any supermarket with delivery slots, so what happens when my mmol is 2?
Hi @Dancegirl84, a week ago I was very worried because I couldn't find any delivery slots but have noticed that Asda in particular have been adding a lot more for delivery to my address and Tesco have been adding more, they both add new slots at midnight for 2-3 weeks time, but both have been adding slots much sooner too. You may have to check a few times and you may just be lucky enough to check at the right time. If you are desperate is there anyone near you willing to pick up some shopping for you? There are many groups on facebook for all over the country, with people offering or requesting help. Have you got no hypo treatment at all?

Reactions: NaijaChick

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi,

Do you have a late night garage that can serve you through the security glass. . (The type with sliding a tray?")
Pay by contactless.

For hypo treatment.
You could ask the forecourt attendant to hook out a couple of bags of jelly babies. Pick them up in a used carrier bag as you might do scooping dog poop. (Sorry, best description I got.) then wash the sealed JB bags when home in warm water (not too hot.) & disinfectant or washing up liquid then rinse, & dry off
You may also find they do biscuits like digestives too? Which would help in the event of a hypo.
All pretty much sealed packaging that could be washed to help preserve your wellbeing.

Stay safe.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
so what happens when my mmol is 2?

If there is now nothing in your house to deal with a hypo then contacting your pharmacist might be an idea, just to get some Dextrose. Hopefully you can find one that delivers, although I'm sure you could get a neighbour to pop out to get some if not your shopping as well.

Does your wherever you live have a Facebook page? My own local Facebook page has had several groups who are shopping for the vulnerable. They would get you sorted very quickly.

Age UK might be able to help, see this page of their website: https://www.ageuk.org.uk/services/in-your-area/shopping/

Have a look at Taskrabbit: https://www.taskrabbit.co.uk/services/shopping-delivery

Here's another one: https://www.wedeliverlocal.co.uk/

You might like to try: https://www.airtasker.com/uk/ although they don't specifically go shopping.

sno0opy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Personally i would go to the shop and practice social distancing. Unless you have symptoms of Corona then you can leave your house to go shopping, there is far more risk of not keeping yourself fed strong and healthy then catching it.

People who are at high risk will be getting delivery slots (1.5 million people are on the list - the super markets will be giving them priority to all delivery slots) - Diabetics are not on the list s they are not considered very high risk - if you have other conditions that are on the list you will get a letter shortly.

VioletViolet

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you I"ve been looking all over for this advice, note to self, always come here first!

If there is now nothing in your house to deal with a hypo then contacting your pharmacist might be an idea, just to get some Dextrose. Hopefully you can find one that delivers, although I'm sure you could get a neighbour to pop out to get some if not your shopping as well.

Does your wherever you live have a Facebook page? My own local Facebook page has had several groups who are shopping for the vulnerable. They would get you sorted very quickly.

Age UK might be able to help, see this page of their website: https://www.ageuk.org.uk/services/in-your-area/shopping/

Have a look at Taskrabbit: https://www.taskrabbit.co.uk/services/shopping-delivery

Here's another one: https://www.wedeliverlocal.co.uk/

You might like to try: https://www.airtasker.com/uk/ although they don't specifically go shopping.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Personally i would go to the shop and practice social distancing. Unless you have symptoms of Corona then you can leave your house to go shopping, there is far more risk of not keeping yourself fed strong and healthy then catching it.

People who are at high risk will be getting delivery slots (1.5 million people are on the list - the super markets will be giving them priority to all delivery slots) - Diabetics are not on the list s they are not considered very high risk - if you have other conditions that are on the list you will get a letter shortly.

I concur with you, I am going out today, for the first time, I must get my prescriptions and pop into local supermarket for milk, fruit, veg and any loo rolls, but if not, then I have two boxes of savers tissues to tide my daughter and myself over.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

Hi there,
I am going out today, for the first time,as I must get my prescriptions and pop into local supermarket for milk, fruit, veg and any loo rolls, but if not, then I have two boxes of savers tissues to tide my daughter and myself over.
I also might have a suspected cracked rib, from 2 weeks ago, but trying to keep going with some normality in place, even if it's just a minute amount.
Take care:)

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You could also check Facebook groups for volunteers in your area.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you need delivery try smaller independent shops. Also some restaurants and takeaways are delivering food. They could help with your need for sugar if you explain. By using the independent places you will help keep them in business, as many have had to close to customers, but have food in stock that could be wasted if closed for a long time. A bit of lateral thinking as we can’t rely on the big supermarkets to have delivery times available, or the food you have ordered should you be able to get delivery.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you need delivery try smaller independent shops. Also some restaurants and takeaways are delivering food. They could help with your need for sugar if you explain. By using the independent places you will help keep them in business, as many have had to close to customers, but have food in stock that could be wasted if closed for a long time. A bit of lateral thinking as we can’t rely on the big supermarkets to have delivery times available, or the food you have ordered should you be able to get delivery.

Hi,

That's a fried slice of gold idea. :)

Regarding payment though, the issue was flagged up regarding cash payments in a circular email sent out by the CEO of Halfords the other day. (I'm on the list, they have been emailing receipts for quite a while now?)

Basically, Halfords are still open for certain services whilst observing social distancing protocols. Only closed where they can't.
Offering discount to key workers & wot not to keep Britain moving.
Pretty much running a click & collect on parts. Partner companies for MOT service work.

customers will not be required to sign refund slips, no cash transactions. As well as a social distancing.
I'm not sure what other companies have also adopted this policy in all our interests.?
But it maybe worthwhile. Asking about setting up an account with the smaller shops. Some do live in the "dark ages" regarding the latest card payment tech. (If they have any at all?)

Reactions: Pipp

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So what's the point in staying at home if we all rush out to the shops?

My understanding is that keeping to the rules of social distancing, reducing shopping trips to absolute essentials, and maintaining rigorous handwashing and hygiene will dramatically reduce chance of infection and chance of spreading it further.

Have a look on the www.gov.uk website for what the actual rules and guidance are for social distancing and Shielding, and isolation while experiencing the symtoms.

Personally, I am trying to get myself into the mindset that I am likely to be infectious, and the people I encounter may well be vulnerable, and I could be risking their lives by standing too close. It is very helpful to me to focus my mind on what I touch, distancing, etc. etc.

Last edited:

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Personally, I am trying to get myself into the mindset that I am likely to be infectious, and the people I encounter may well be vulnerable, and I could be risking their lives by standing too close. It is very helpful to me to focus my mind on what I touch, distancing, etc. etc.
I am doing something similar but less altruistic, I am assuming everyone else is infectious, the result is the same though.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
@sleepster Thanks for your post as a result I tried Asda again had given up on them the other day but managed to get a delivery slot this time.

Reactions: sleepster
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I am back from Morrisons. Firstly the queue was around the side of the building. We were at a distance too. Inside everything was orderly and calm. The queue to get to the checkout was weaving in and out of the aisles, tbh, it looked worse than it actually was. Clear partition's have been erected at the checkouts, for safety and I must say, a big well done to Morrisons for the way they set out the shop and big well done to customers too. I got back safe and sound and even found some rolls of Andrex toilet tissue, so I bought one pack.
Unfortunately I now have a hypo of 3.2 :oops: first one since Monday :rolleyes: but treating it accordingly.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
My understanding is that keeping to the rules of social distancing, reducing shopping trips to absolute essentials, and maintaining rigorous handwashing and hygiene will dramatically reduce chance of infection and chance of spreading it further.

Have a look on the www.gov.uk website for what the actual rules and guidance are for social distancing and Shielding, and isolation while experiencing the symtoms.

Absolutely :)

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
So what's the point in staying at home if we all rush out to the shops?

Shops have safeguarding practices in them, it's not fools rush in and every man for themselves, it 's orderly and calm.