High Risk Coronavirus

Mrs Badger

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The instructions on the www.gov.uk website have always been pretty clear - if you think you should have received a letter (about being extremely vulnerable) but no letter arrived by the 29th March, then contact your healthcare provider (presumably clinic or doc's surgery) and discuss it with them.

I have done that and the advice was to self isolate for 12 weeks. But have also been told that if I have any problems, I can come back to them and they will write me a letter.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Mrs Badger, I don't know if you have previous experience of internet shopping?
If so, I suggest you ring your usual supermarket's help line and ask them about how to get registered with them for priority deliveries.

My parents are with Sainsburys, and at some point must have provided their dates of birth, proving they are over 70.
They were automatically identified by Sainsburys and offered the OAP delivery slots.

Regarding access to the vulnerable shopping hour, most supermarkets seem to be each organising themselves slightly differently.

Some are running healthcare worker hours. Some are running Over 70s hours.
I imagine that this does not help people who are vulnerable but not working in healthcare, or not over 70.
In which case a phonecall to the supermarket's helpline will establish what is going on.

In my house (vulnerable, but not extremely, under 70 years, key worker), shopping with Tescos, we are able to book click and collect or home delivery, but only around 3 weeks in advance at the moment. Or we walk to the nearest smaller branch. I expect more delivery slots will open up as they get more drivers and more pickers in store.
In the meantime, I wouldn't dream of trying to trespass on a 70+ hour, or a healthcare worker hour.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mrs Badger

sno0opy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sadly any one who gets it can die, but your at higher risk of you have cirtain conditions.

They are on the list, I can't imagine any litigation would be successful it's not exactly the governments fault this is happening and they are doing what they can in a balanced way.

Or they would have to lock the whole country down, like where does the line end, they have to draw it some where.

Mrs Badger

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Mrs Badger, I don't know if you have previous experience of internet shopping?
If so, I suggest you ring your usual supermarket's help line and ask them about how to get registered with them for priority deliveries.

My parents are with Sainsburys, and at some point must have provided their dates of birth, proving they are over 70.
They were automatically identified by Sainsburys and offered the OAP delivery slots.

Regarding access to the vulnerable shopping hour, most supermarkets seem to be each organising themselves slightly differently.

Some are running healthcare worker hours. Some are running Over 70s hours.
I imagine that this does not help people who are vulnerable but not working in healthcare, or not over 70.
In which case a phonecall to the supermarket's helpline will establish what is going on.

In my house (vulnerable, but not extremely, under 70 years, key worker), shopping with Tescos, we are able to book click and collect or home delivery, but only around 3 weeks in advance at the moment. Or we walk to the nearest smaller branch. I expect more delivery slots will open up as they get more drivers and more pickers in store.
In the meantime, I wouldn't dream of trying to trespass on a 70+ hour, or a healthcare worker hour.

Thank you for the tip. I also wouldn't dream of trying to trespass on the 70+, or healthcare worker hour either.

Reactions: Brunneria

Mrs Badger

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sadly any one who gets it can die, but your at higher risk of you have cirtain conditions.

They are on the list, I can't imagine any litigation would be successful it's not exactly the governments fault this is happening and they are doing what they can in a balanced way.

Or they would have to lock the whole country down, like where does the line end, they have to draw it some where.

I agree with everything you are saying there, but with the backlash that the government are getting from the public (which I don't think they should be getting), I believe someone will still try. Anyway, I will put that one to bed now.

Reactions: gillytee31

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
The instructions on the www.gov.uk website have always been pretty clear - if you think you should have received a letter (about being extremely vulnerable) but no letter arrived by the 29th March, then contact your healthcare provider (presumably clinic or doc's surgery) and discuss it with them.

That covers them nicely from threats of litigation, and shows that no one should be sitting waiting indefinitely without querying their situation. No system is 100% perfect, so those who are falling through the inevitable cracks need to make sure that they actively flag themselves up, as necessary.
Last I read it now says 31 March but I may have been on another page.

One thing is the government is utilizing that list and the army to get supplies to those who are having to shield my local MP told me that those supplies were already being prepared ready to be distributed by the army.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
My daughter has a friend recently demobbed from the army who has just been recalled to active service.

Caprock94

Diabetes is listed as a risk factor, but it does no differentiate between Type 1 or Type 2, well controlled, etc. I wonder how much additional risk a Type 2 who has reversed their numbers to normal levels with a change in diet and has no heart/blood pressure problems has over the normal population?

joffy01582

Diabetes is listed as a risk factor, but it does no differentiate between Type 1 or Type 2, well controlled, etc. I wonder how much additional risk a Type 2 who has reversed their numbers to normal levels with a change in diet and has no heart/blood pressure problems has over the normal population?
I'm type2 on insulin and 3 types of tablets plus BP cholesterol and pain meds I think it's a minefield just to say 'diabetic' been off work since before christmas with a foot infection/cellulitis then an ulcer .....I was meant to go back to work the sunday night of the lockdown announcement.....bit confused

joffy01582

Also got neuropathy that doesnt allow me to stand in ****** queues for too long

edited by moderator for language.

Last edited by a moderator:

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Correct not very encouraging at all, just the opposite,

Yep, it says diabetes is the second highest risk factor after heart disease, interesting but I'm not that surprised when they have spent decades telling us that it is a serious, chronic condition. I strongly believe we can minimise associated problems and even avoid poor health but we are not the same as a non diabetic and none of us really know the effect an unknown virus may have on us as individuals. Best to avoid it completely. x

Bearing up

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What I find disappointing is that all these web sites have different versions of the "so called advice / information, The NHS England has advice that differs from NHS Scotland ( NHS Inform ) , Citizens advice cant agree either across the country , My GP has a different opinion form my local health board !.
It's not helpful either that many sites are just cut and paste versions of others , down to the spelling mistakes !
One of my neighbours is totally confused ( so am I ) at least when we had foot and mouth the advice was clear and uniform.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What I find disappointing is that all these web sites have different versions of the "so called advice / information, The NHS England has advice that differs from NHS Scotland ( NHS Inform ) , Citizens advice cant agree either across the country , My GP has a different opinion form my local health board !.
It's not helpful either that many sites are just cut and paste versions of others , down to the spelling mistakes !
One of my neighbours is totally confused ( so am I ) at least when we had foot and mouth the advice was clear and uniform.
PHE helpline and 111 both misquoted guidelines to me!! Blind leading the blind unfortunately. All trying to do their best.