Lantus Units

Catlady19

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello all,
I have been on Lantus since the end of January, started on 10 units and gradually increased to 30 units, but my bgs seem to be getting worse instead of better. They are now around 11 or 12 in the morning and between 13 and 20 before bed. I have (mostly) stuck to low carb but in this lock down i have probably moved a lot less!

I need to try and speak to the dr next week but do you think I need to have fast acting insulin as well?

Thanks

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Being stuck at home does seem to make temptation harder to resist. For myself, I am sad to admit that I am in danger of becoming a daytime drinker!

Try getting back on track with your carbs before worrying about fast acting insulin???

Reactions: Catlady19

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Catlady19 ,

Nobody can prescribe for you on the forum.

Are you testing your BGs prior to & 2hours after a meal?

It would be worth while getting your fasting levels correct before assessing what's happening with your diet?
This should help explain. https://www.mysugr.com/en/blog/basal-rate-testing/

By all means log all test results & food consumed. It will help your HCP help you..

Catlady19

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Catlady19 ,

Nobody can prescribe for you on the forum.

Are you testing your BGs prior to & 2hours after a meal?

It would be worth while getting your fasting levels correct before assessing what's happening with your diet?
This should help explain. https://www.mysugr.com/en/blog/basal-rate-testing/

By all means log all test results & food consumed. It will help your HCP help you..
Obviously no one here can prescribe for me and i wouldnt do it even if they did! I was hoping for other people's Type 2 experiences of starting to use insulin.
Yes, I test at appropriate times throughout the day including before and two hours after meals.
Thank you for the link, i shall have a look.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Obviously no one here can prescribe for me and i wouldnt do it even if they did! I was hoping for other people's Type 2 experiences of starting to use insulin.
Yes, I test at appropriate times throughout the day including before and two hours after meals.
Thank you for the link, i shall have a look.
Hi,
Good news on the testing regime.:)

Though not T2. i do as a T1 use & have many year experience with Lantus (along with a fast acting insulin for meals.)

Getting the foundation right with a basal dose, rotating injection sites regularly is key to fasting BG management, before focus on how diet is affecting you too?

I have to ask this. is your lantus kept stored in the fridge till used?
May i ask with Lantus. Have to noticed your BGs worse on successive days when you are halfway to 2/3rds used of a pen cartridge?
Do your improve the following day after starting a new pen or cartridge?

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
I was in a similar situation to you @Catlady19 . I was prescribed lantus, maintained a pretty low carb diet but my levels didn't improve in spite of steadily increasing the basal dose. I can't remember but think I went up to 24 units a day. After about 3 months it was discovered after a c-peptide test that I was insulin deficient rather than insulin resistant and I was prescribed novarapid as a meal time bolus. It's taken me about 10 months to get my basal and bolus doses just about right, I've dropped basal to just 19 units and adjust my bolus to match meal time carb intake and exercise.

Catlady19

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi,
Good news on the testing regime.:)

Though not T2. i do as a T1 use & have many year experience with Lantus (along with a fast acting insulin for meals.)

Getting the foundation right with a basal dose, rotating injection sites regularly is key to fasting BG management, before focus on how diet is affecting you too?

I have to ask this. is your lantus kept stored in the fridge till used?
May i ask with Lantus. Have to noticed your BGs worse on successive days when you are halfway to 2/3rds used of a pen cartridge?
Do your improve the following day after starting a new pen or cartridge?
Hmm intetesting, i will have a look in my book.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hmm intetesting, i will have a look in my book.

Hi again,

Working out your dosage from the original post.
I'm guessing you start a new pen every 9 days? Maybe 10?
So, if I am correct.
Then you might see a pattern of 2 to 4 days of higher BG levels? then once you started a new pen, 5,6 or 7 days of more stable lower levels..?

But this is only a guess based on my own observations using Lantus.. (I also self fund a CGM.)