Type 2 and shielding letter

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
What was your HbA1c level?

Edit to add I have received 2 texts from my surgery telling me I am at greater risk

I have no idea what they are on about.. last HbA1c was 27 mmol/m a lot lower than the average population I imagine..
We’ve heard nothing from our surgery even though hubby has heart issues, asthma and Parkinsonism - all health conditions putting him at risk. Because he is not listed as at risk or very vulnerable we cannot get any online shopping slots so have to go to the shops each week.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone

Reading other comments within the forum, really starting to wonder, should I have actually received the letter? Can't help but feel guilty not being at work and helping my fellow colleagues out

Letter received from GP Friday 27/03
Must stay at home for at least 12 weeks
Age - 59
Condition - Type 2 - Glycated hemoglobin (A1C) 9.8 % (last tested - December 2019)
Working hard on getting that figure down ever since + Yaltormin SR 500mg (One twice a day)
Otherwise fit and healthy

Ordered a Tee2 monitor today (many thanks for the link @Pipp @Rachox)
My SIL is the same - she finished chemo last April so we’re assuming it’s because of that but she can’t understand why my husband didn’t get one as he has various health problems inc asthma and Afib

Reactions: Baz-

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
We’ve heard nothing from our surgery even though hubby has heart issues, asthma and Parkinsonism - all health conditions putting him at risk. Because he is not listed as at risk or very vulnerable we cannot get any online shopping slots so have to go to the shops each week.
The letter I received gives me no priority on supermarket delivery slots either.
I am sticking with my local deli / butcher / farm shop. They have been falling over themselves to look after me.

Colin Crowhurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As i just posted elsewhere also....

I saw that diabetes was included at first (we get a free flu jab...) but later disappeared from some lists.
We have an excellent BBC local radio station here in Norfolk and on the phone-in medical section this week , I asked the following:-

"Can the GP confirm if diabetes is on the list of "vulnerable conditions" also does Type 1 or type 2 make a difference and would how well you are controlled matter?"

The response I feel was VERY clear (for a change!) and to summarize:-
1. No reply about differences in type....
2. If your HbA1C is over 75 then you WILL be on the vulnerable list.

My only other comment would be this does obviously NOT preclude listing due to other illnesses/conditions!

Hope this helped others, definitely cleared things up for me!

MollieB

I am so lost.
I live in the states and I have found the difference between the States attitude about Covid & diabetes and UK take on it very interesting.
https://www.diabetes.org/coronavirus-covid-19/how-coronavirus-impacts-people-with-diabetes
Above is the link to the American Diabetes Association article on diabetes and coronavirus. The one thing that they didn't say in that article but should be thought about is that people with poorly controlled diabetes may have a higher likelihood of getting the virus because of the impact high blood sugars has on the body.
https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2005412
The above is an article about COVID-19 and the data behind it and it's impact on Life Care Center in Kirkland, WA

Reactions: svgittins

CondorX

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There are two levels of vulnerability - the people who have received the letters are at the highest level of vulnerability to the virus - the list is very specific and is on the gov.uk website. My partner received her letter today - some of the conditions in this group are :

1. People who have had organ transplants 2. People with very severe lung disease - cystic fibrosis, severe COPD, very severe / brittle asthma (not just "normal" asthma - that is in the lower group) 3 People with certain types of cancer - mostly blood cancers - leukemias and lymphomas at any stage of treatment, 4 people on immune suppressant therapy for any reason 5. Severe heart conditions

The slightly lower group includes diabetes (all types - no differentiation between T1 and T2) , people over 70 (even if otherwise well), asthma (the more usual type on inhalers and not having had hospital admission for it in past year) heart and lung conditions not as severe as in the worst group.

People in the highest risk group have been advised to isolate (shield) themselves for 12 weeks. Effectively a total quarantine, really. And their main carers to do the same if they can. Luckily for me, the NHS recognise my vulnerability as well as my partners and have redeployed me to work from home for 12 weeks using technology to best advantage :) I am a frontline medical doctor usually but due to the risks posed primarily to my partner and my own health conditions, I was redeployed for which I am grateful as I have no doubt I would likely not have survived the virus.

The distinct differences between the levels of vulnerability to the virus are explained on the gov.uk website - there has been a lot of confusion about the vulnerable groups, however.

Buzzer81

Since being diagnosed I have lost 1.5 stone but as I haven't seen the nurse since being diagnosed I have no idea what my bloods are like now.

Very similar to my situation.....

Can i ask, what is the high hba1c level that would place people in high risk?

My result 5 weeks ago was 91. I have lost over a stone since then and been on an improved diet but I don’t know what affect that has had overall. Not sure if I should be overly careful or not. Obviously I’m being very careful, but will have to venture to shops at some point

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The guidance for HCPs states that over 79 HbA1c (9.4%) would put you in the “shielding category”.
But you could also be in shielding category with lower HbA1c, if you have additional health conditions.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
But you could also be in shielding category with lower HbA1c, if you have additional health conditions.
Absolutely. I was just clarifying the HbA1c threshold that people were asking about. Having a recent DKA also puts you in this category, it’s in the link @Brunneria posted.

Reactions: Pipp

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all,

I received a letter from my gp practice yesterday telling me to stay at home for 12 weeks, I spoke to my gp and she said it's because of my high hba1c levels (recently diagnosed) has anyone else has a letter or heard of this? I can't find anything online to support it.

Many thanks
My son who has T1 had a letter nearly two weeks ago telling him to isolate for 12 weeks he has not got any other medical conditions luckily he can work from home

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My son who has T1 had a letter nearly two weeks ago telling him to isolate for 12 weeks he has not got any other medical conditions luckily he can work from home

That's interesting, do you know what his hb1ac was at all? x

Koalajane

Type of diabetes
Type 2

I have a hba1c of 35 but I am on steroids for pmr which suppress the immune system. I haven’t had a letter.

Max68

Last HBA1C in December was 58, after it being 48 or 49 for two years! On meds for BP as well but had a 24 hour monitor last year and all was deemed ok and no letter here.

fatrats

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
current confusion regarding life in general
The guidance for HCPs states that over 79 HbA1c (9.4%) would put you in the “shielding category”.
Hi Loopercat am a newbie here. Trying to find out the source of that information as I have high sugars 80 last month and am a keyworker.

MGALL

Hi

I’ve been searching for literature on this, but unable to find anything. I contacted my GP today, the receptionist told me I’ve been ‘flagged’ for a letter to be sent out but she didn’t know what it said?? My GP didn’t know anything about the letter or High HbA1c/Ketoacidosis risk group. He seemed glad to help if he knew where it came from. Could anyone point in right direction please?

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @MGALL
What is the info you are seeking? It is not clear from your post.
Welcome, by the way.
:)

MGALL

Hi @MGALL
What is the info you are seeking? It is not clear from your post.
Welcome, by the way.
:)
Hi pipp

I’m finding this all very informative and reassuring, I’m sorry I never joined sooner it great. I’m looking for something, anything to present to my GP stating the guidance for HCP’s state that >79 HbA1c would put you in the shielding category (as loopercat has posted earlier) and other members have advised. My GP knows nothing about this and had advised to social distance (work on ward in a hospital, so almost impossible) my current HbA1c (2wks ago) was 85 and had an episode of Ketoacidosis at the beginning of the year.