What do you do during isolation?

Bogie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
Interesting comments and activities. I thought I would give a perspective of somebody who pre-virus has worked from home full-time for a company and have for many years. People say to me, "So you most likely do not notice anything different".

Actually, I do - dramatically. Both myself and my wife (who is also immune deficient, has Sjogrens, Addisons, and respiratory challenges). You do not realize how much out-of-home activity you do until you are forced by this virus to stay at home. We are fortunate to live in a town-home condominium complex that is private and has little traffic except for the residents (about 2500 but a large complex). We can walk our dogs without the human and vehicular traffic of city life - although we do live in a small city (150,000). Miss standing outside and talking to neighbours without at least 6 feet between us and speaking louder so we can hear each other. Not being able to go to a neighbour's home to help them with something.

Now we order our groceries online and have them delivered - the store is a 2 minute or less drive but not worth the virus risk exposure as we are in that older age group and my wife's medical challenges. Our medications and dog food are delivered. Online shopping for other things, etc. Sounds nice but we do miss the daily social interaction of going to the grocery store, to the pharmacy, to the weekly visits to the dog food store (raw meat diets), miss going to prepared food pickups and going down by the lake to sit and eat with our dogs, and more. It takes a toll psychologically ... something that I have never experienced before as I have not get stressed or anxious in the past (not in my nature).

It is the fear of your well-being, possible death, that is out of your control. An invisible enemy.

My wife only goes out for the dog walks as our weather is not yet warm enough for gardening (threat of snow flurries this week) - but Spring is slowly making an appearance. I have gone out for "curbside pick-up" of telephone orders. Sanitizing anything we touch that we receive with wipes and using disposable latex gloves. Throwing the cardboard boxes into our garage to leave for a week or so before handling for recycling. Have been to the post office twice but wearing a mask (feel like bank robber) and only when others not in line or just one person. Post office clerk is now behind a plexiglass wall and also masked. Go in and get out as fast as possible. Use sanitizer liquid on my latex gloved hands when back to my vehicle and then taking them off for disposing back home. I have to do this due to my wife being so susceptible to this virus ... and myself, of course. Diabetics are to take extra caution. Our age is also a huge factor (69 and 71).

It will take time, most likely not until next year, until normality (maybe in a cautious way) returns.

There have been much worse global pandemics but the Internet and instant news from anywhere is flooding our lives. This one is a bit different as it is so "violent" and fast if contracted.

Take care everyone and protect yourselves and those you know and love - and everyone else. Be patient - this will pass.

For those of us "OGs" (older guys) we remember life without cable TV, the Internet, smartphones, and all the amenities we now have.

Go "Retro" and experience a more relaxed lifestyle :)

A sign we post on our front door - yes, 4 dogs (3 Spanish Podencos and a French Bulldog).

safe-warning.png

milesrf

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
spammers, off topic posters, side effects of a stroke
'It's not fancy, but it works': Mississippi doctor uses garden hose, lamp timer and electronic valve to create makeshift ventilators

https://currently.att.yahoo.com/news/not-fancy-works-mississippi-doctor-012120379.html

Plasma treatment being tested in New York may be coronavirus 'game changer'

https://currently.att.yahoo.com/news/plasma-treatment-being-tested-york-213100838.html

Trump order would have cut off Canadian government’s sole U.S. supplier of N95s

https://news.yahoo.com/trump-order-cut-off-canadian-172547960.html

Reactions: Tophat1900

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
@Bogie some very good points about the stress or anxiety level. I also can't risk going into town for anything. I find myself, I'm just wondering how long this will all take before it's finally over and I know there isn't an answer yet, but the effect of not being able to go out for a coffee or the routine of food shopping for me or to the club for a meal and music is very noticeable. Even though I live on 12 acres in a low traffic rural area, it's the social interaction that is missed.

There are also differences in laws regarding social isolation that vary from country to country. Recently one of the new laws is that you can't even go out for a recreational drive even if you don't get out of the car, but you can go for a drive to get to a place to exercise. Sounds ridiculous to me, this makes no sense.

So, another day passes, I've been cooking meals in advance and keeping healthy. Hopefully tomorrow is a repeat. :)

Reactions: Mad76

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@Tophat1900

As another Aussie- I love your garden- I'm assuming you live somewhere a lot warmer than I do in NSW with a current temperature of 13 degrees. I really envy your beautiful flowers.

I'm not self isolated- benefit of living in a small country town where everyone knows everyone. I'm sort of waiting for the first one in our town to get the virus and timing how long before everyone knows who it is and how they got it. Seriously sometimes people know who is in the ambulance before it gets to the hospital in town. One of the benefits of a small town is that nearly everything is still open The pubs are doing takeaways as are the cafes.

I am reading with envy and awe at what people are doing- pretty sure I wouldn't be being that productive. One thing I would like to do is to go through all my stored clothes that were too small. My current clothes are too big- had to give up wearing some suits at work as the skirts literally fell off-lol.

I really feel for those in my community without access to the internet. One of my clients came in to see me this week- I was the first person she had seen or talked to for over 2 or 3 weeks. She was so anxious about coming out but really needed to do her will. I worry for her and those like her. That said in Australia we are in a much better position that some of you overseas. It has been eye opening for me reading some of the posts. My heart goes out to you- you have suffered so much more than we have I think so my best wishes and prayers for you all

Reactions: Tophat1900

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Last weekend I tackled The Twilight Film Saga.

been meaning to find out what the fuss was about for years. Still mystified. Fake hair, fake looking makeup, fake looking contacts and teenage angst. And sparkly skin (with continuity errors). Obviously I am far too old. Best bit was the scenery, and that was exquisite.

Thank goodness, I was able to multi-task; dog games, forum, book, Google, phone calls, dusting...

This weekend will be Series 1 of the Mandalorian. Feeling much more hopeful about this one.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
This weekend will be Series 1 of the Mandalorian. Feeling much more hopeful about this one.

I think you may enjoy it I know I did. Though the baby Yoda was a bit much at times.

My nephew has the same name as the actor in the Twilight Film Saga so after having people mistake him for the actor on face book and elsewhere time after time he has had to change his stage name ( he is in a band) to something else Johnny Valentine of all things I think.

Reactions: bkr and Brunneria

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m not long back from my daily walk. Early is best down here. Glorious sky. Ordinarily I’d have kept going all day.....

The flat might get a much needed clean at some point this weekend.

23FB2308-E9F0-4640-9AAE-3A02B93FBA6D.jpeg
432F6A9F-6A2A-4C3D-B560-0015B7D3DA99.jpeg
2F6D5857-A4CE-4690-BB2F-03CB1D8D79E5.jpeg

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I must stay away from Amazon I get bored I go on line and then buy something as this rate by the time lock down is over I am going to be broke.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Being a pragmatic sort of gal I have tidied up important paperwork, and made sure Last Will and Testament is updated, along with updating Lasting Powers of Attorney. Not being morbid, or gloomy. Just making sure that when the time comes, (hopefully not just yet) my nearest and dearest will have an easy time of sorting out my final wishes. I think everyone , not just in times of crisis, needs to have these things sorted.

That done I have cleaned a lot of things, several times. Still finding reasons to avoid cleaning the oven. Have planted seeds, managed some sewing and knitting, set up a ‘gym’ area in garden, using garden furniture, hand weights, and resistance bands. No room for swimming pool, unfortunately. Cooked different foods to normal favourites according to what is available.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
@Tophat1900

As another Aussie- I love your garden- I'm assuming you live somewhere a lot warmer than I do in NSW with a current temperature of 13 degrees. I really envy your beautiful flowers.

I'm not self isolated- benefit of living in a small country town where everyone knows everyone. I'm sort of waiting for the first one in our town to get the virus and timing how long before everyone knows who it is and how they got it. Seriously sometimes people know who is in the ambulance before it gets to the hospital in town. One of the benefits of a small town is that nearly everything is still open The pubs are doing takeaways as are the cafes.

I am reading with envy and awe at what people are doing- pretty sure I wouldn't be being that productive. One thing I would like to do is to go through all my stored clothes that were too small. My current clothes are too big- had to give up wearing some suits at work as the skirts literally fell off-lol.

I really feel for those in my community without access to the internet. One of my clients came in to see me this week- I was the first person she had seen or talked to for over 2 or 3 weeks. She was so anxious about coming out but really needed to do her will. I worry for her and those like her. That said in Australia we are in a much better position that some of you overseas. It has been eye opening for me reading some of the posts. My heart goes out to you- you have suffered so much more than we have I think so my best wishes and prayers for you all

Yeah, my town (Up by the NSW/QLD border) is the same as yours basically, except there has been a confirmed case of Covid, a few others in surrounding areas including Tom Hanks while he was in those areas.

I'm not complaining when I see what is going on in other parts of the world. Some really dire stuff happening.

I think I've been pretty fortunate, no shortages of food and haven't had to change diet or anything else (with the exception of the lock down and various limitations), so life plods along. Still walk my dog everyday. A lot to be grateful for,

Hope things stay that way and numbers start to decrease across the world.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Being a pragmatic sort of gal I have tidied up important paperwork, and made sure Last Will and Testament is updated, along with updating Lasting Powers of Attorney. Not being morbid, or gloomy. Just making sure that when the time comes, (hopefully not just yet) my nearest and dearest will have an easy time of sorting out my final wishes. I think everyone , not just in times of crisis, needs to have these things sorted.

That done I have cleaned a lot of things, several times. Still finding reasons to avoid cleaning the oven. Have planted seeds, managed some sewing and knitting, set up a ‘gym’ area in garden, using garden furniture, hand weights, and resistance bands. No room for swimming pool, unfortunately. Cooked different foods to normal favourites according to what is available.

I was just thinking about a will the other day, not because of covid, but I'm 50 and don't have one. Not planning on exiting stage right soon, but you never know.... things happen everyday.

Reactions: Pipp

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I must stay away from Amazon I get bored I go on line and then buy something as this rate by the time lock down is over I am going to be broke.

I’ve had to set up a new folder in my email account - ‘Expected deliveries’ to keep track of everything :hilarious:

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

Wow. Great topic.

We live in a semi rural area so the dog's welfare is catered for..

Around the modest house & grounds. I've been leisurely doing all that stuff That's been put off..
The weather has been great. The challenge is using stuff I already have to do the job?

There's no more. "Let's go to B&Q." Which, after measuring up & obtaining the materials would be an easier option to set it all out & crack on? I find the procrastination of shopping has taken the momentum out of the task..
What I am finding is I'm using up what we already have in storage, so it's tidying as I go...

I've also gotten back into spending a little more time on my wagon. Sourcing long forgotten stuff scavenged off my prevous Van? Lol, still nowhere to go.

My wife & I seem to be getting a flavour of "retirement?"

It's chilled. No time constraints, no deadlines, no targets.

Apart from the actual reason this has come about in the first place, of course. :banghead:

Keeping a positive self distancing from the cause. ;)
To sum it up.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Walking with husband on 1 hour daily circular if I feel like it.
Dealing with aged parents shopping and needs on line and phoning daily.
Gardening
Clearing out
Cooking
Sewing
Decorating
Skyping
Sanitising all shopping
Thursday pub quiz
Housework (I enjoy this)
Listening to music
Looking after veg I planted
Re arranging our holidays for next year!
Crosswords
Reading
Tai Chi (a new venture done with hubby from internet)
Hate to say this but am actually happy and enjoying myself. There are less outside demands and pressures on my life. I am lucky enough to live in a nice house with a garden, in a rural area and do not have money pressures, as living on a known fixed pension for five years now. I feel blessed.
I do however miss my grandson who we have looked after for 2 years more than words can say.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
What ever we are doing can we keep it up till the middle of next year.

"
The elderly may have to remain in isolation until next year to protect themselves from coronavirus, the EU Commission president has told a German newspaper.
Ursula von der Leyen told Bild “we have to limit as much as possible contact with the elderly” until a vaccine against Covid-19 was developed.
Most experts say a vaccine that provides immunity to coronavirus will not be ready for mass production for at least a year.
Von der Leyen said she recognised the difficultly of isolation, but stressed when “it is a question of life or death, we have to remain disciplined and patient”.
"
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-52259683?ns_mchannel=social&ns_source=twitter&ns_campaign=bbc_live&ns_linkname=5e934dbfeac8420673fda0c6&EU chief: Elderly may be isolated until 2021&2020-04-12T17:43:37.591Z&ns_fee=0&pinned_post_locator=urn:asset:1cd411d2-7e42-440f-bb1c-641bb263cce7&pinned_post_asset_id=5e934dbfeac8420673fda0c6&pinned_post_type=share

That would be ridiculous don't you think.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think you may enjoy it I know I did. Though the baby Yoda was a bit much.

spot on!
That was exactly my reaction.
In fact, I enjoyed it so much I watched it too fast and need to find something else for tomorrow. :D

Reactions: JohnEGreen